Sign in to follow this  
scrubbadubdub

thick bloke wants info

hey im new to all this corrado stuff and keep hearing people talking about early and late spec.

i have read and looked and pics and so far understand that late have different switches on the dash and hearter controls as well as the window switches being in a different place. but externally whats the difference as i hear about people talking about they want an early bumper or late spec bonnet any info or pics to show the difference would be great.

i have bought a g60 corrado on a 1991 and would like to put the right bits back in it as it has no door cards or seats.

cheers for reading

Paul

>1992 late

loads of things different, i wont remember them all....

arches (wider on later)

bonnet (early is lowered straight bit, and late is raised diaganol bit, bad explanation :tongue: )

front bumper (the line curls round??)

headlights

fog lights

the doors (only a metal strengthen bar in later)

etc etc

in your case you will need early style door cards so they fit, i dont know why... someone is going to have to add to this and fill in the blancs, but theres plenty more thats different!!

hi chap...

your easiest identifiers are the number of slats in the grille (7 thinner slats in early and 4 wider ones in the late model) and the bonnet low centre section with higher sides where it meets the wings is early and the opposite (higher centre) on the late car.

google yourself up a pic of a VR vs. your car and all will become crystal clear :grin:

...oh, and for the record - welcome!

[edit: it seems that big ben types faster than me!]

i have the bonnet on mine with the 'bulge' so would i be a kinda crossover point as mine is 1991 and big ben said 92 was the change or a different bonnet along the line the car does have alot of history most useless as there is no engine

google yourself up a pic of a VR vs. your car and all will become crystal clear :grin:

...or not, as it appears from your pic that you have a later (presumably non-original) bonnet on your motor, the '91 should have looked like this:

800px-VW_Corrado_G60_red_vl_1991_TCE.jpg

>1992 late

It's not quite that clear cut. Plenty of cross over cars on a J or K, with late exteriors and early interiors. Even some VRs with early interiors.

1992 was the cross over year, my mate has a k plate 1992 G60 and has the buldge bonnet and 3 slat grill standard... i reckon that bonnet has beeb put on it, some people prefer them

Looks like a late bonnet fitted to an early car. Look at the tips of the bonnet, they don't line up quite right with the wings.

>1992 late

It's not quite that clear cut. Plenty of cross over cars on a J or K, with late exteriors and early interiors. Even some VRs with early interiors.

oh really, thats news to me... thought it all happened in 1 year?? and never seen a VR with early interior?? they must be well rare...

Looks like a late bonnet fitted to an early car. Look at the tips of the bonnet, they don't line up quite right with the wings.

yeah good spot, defo been put on after then...

thanks for all the quick replies guys.

the bonnet does line up well the bonnet wasnt on it when i got it as it was taken off to remove engine and so on

Paul

its in the corner above the eyelid grill, the bonnet comes down slighly lower and doesnt line up spot on, the rest of it lines up fine...

The curve of the early wings and bonnet and late wings and bonnet don't quite match, not easy to spot unless you're a proper corrado pervert. :dorky:

The curve of the early wings and bonnet and late wings and bonnet don't quite match, not easy to spot unless you're a proper corrado pervert. :dorky:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

only people with these can tell

Anorak.jpg

i guess im not quite perverted enough yet lol :wink:

you own a corrado with no engine, by the time your done you will be on the offenders list dont worry :lol:

good luck!!! and theres nothing wrong with perverting over corrados, i do it every day :D

sounds like you will be on here a fair bit, you should start a thread in members gallery so we can see how your getting on!!

1992 was the cross over year, my mate has a k plate 1992 G60 and has the buldge bonnet and 3 slat grill standard... i reckon that bonnet has beeb put on it, some people prefer them

The year isn't important as far as bonnets are concerned ... it was introduced to accommodate the larger VR lump, not a 'year' thing, so anything with a later bonnet, that's not a VR, has been given a later bonnet at some point.

so anything with a later bonnet, that's not a VR, has been given a later bonnet at some point.

is that true of late valvers too - a friend's 8v has the high bonnet and has had as long as he's owned it since 1994 (1993 reg)?

i thought all 8 vlavers came with the "buldge" bonnet... im pretty sure you have got that wrong VR6?? im sure they introduced it for the VR lump but used it for all the late spec cars, i suppose it made sense as it was better than making 2 types of wings bumper etc etc

The year isn't important as far as bonnets are concerned ... it was introduced to accommodate the larger VR lump, not a 'year' thing, so anything with a later bonnet, that's not a VR, has been given a later bonnet at some point.

Erm, that's not true :lol: :dorky:

ALL late Corrados came with the bulge bonnet from factory regardless of what engine they had.