Sign in to follow this  
Andy-H

Choosing a Corrado

Hi Guys,

A little wet behind the ears on Corrado's so please excuse me.

Anyway, looking to get a Corrado in the very near future and have been looking at 2.0L 16v models. However, recently I have come across a mint condition, low mileage 8v.

Just wondering if this was worth a punt?? Any views or experiences would be a great help.

Cheers,

Andy

:wave:

lot of people prefer the 8v over the 16v...

but i wouldnt go for either if you want a fast car... i have a golf GTI 8v and its sooooooo slow. But if you want a nice cruiser that looks the bollocks and gives good mpg and insurance go for a 8v :grin:

I have an 8v Mk3 at the moment that I'm currently selling and for me it seems OK :( .

I am too old and have suffered too many biking injuries to be flying around :lol:

Think I may go and look at this one then.. thanks

I have an 8v Mk3 at the moment that I'm currently selling and for me it seems OK :( .

I am too old and have suffered too many biking injuries to be flying around :lol:

Think I may go and look at this one then.. thanks

dont get me wonrg, i like my mk3, it doesnt let me down and is good mpg, but i prefer the noise and pull of a VR6 engine...

but if you like the golf you will love the corrado :grin:

That's just the reply I was looking for :D

I can see you guys are going to make me part with a lot of my hard earned in the future (well. at least you'll be the excuse when the missus starts asking questions :norty: )

Will do.

Got the golf on ebay at the moment and finishes in just over a day so hopefully I'll have the money together by the weekend.

Jonny, you've never driven or owned an 8v rado :lol: 16vs are also bloody dire too if you're talking about performance, but when you consider bang for bucks the 8v is leagues ahead, opinions based on fact and personal experience! :tongue:

The OP has already said he's happy with the performance of his Mk3 8v, so as Ben says i'm pretty certain he'd be happy with the same engine in a MUCH better car. The 16v will cost a fair bit more to run, will cost a fair bit more to fix when it goes wrong, and will not give a fair bit more performance.

If you're in the least bit interested in going quick, and want a 'performance' car, buy either a G60 or a VR6. If you just want a nice looking car that will handle well, then go for the best condition Corrado you can find regardless of what engine it has, if it's a toss up between the 16v and the 8v I'd recommend the 8v every single time.

Hi,

That has been the general concensous regarding when buying. As long as the bodywork is straight and tin worm free then the mechanicals do not matter as much as second hand spares etc. are easily sourced. I have been told to look out for the following:-

Bodywork

Exhaust

Electrics

I am not a track day warrior, nor to I partake in traffic light GP's so performance is way down the list for me. A Corrado to me is a beautiful, rare(ish) car that I have always wanted.

Just don't want to buy a lemon :D

I've owned an 8v in the past, it was my very first corrado flavour (awwww :lol: ), so i had nothing to compare it to. But it seemed fast enough, ok not as fast the VR i have now. But it could still pull and i used to get great mpg out of it. Plus the 8v is alot rarer ;)

the 8v gets my vote.

my mate had a low mileage L reg audi coupe 2ltr 16v, full service history etc etc, and it was a nightmare, always had things wrong... my 8v doesnt miss a beat and has much higher mileage. I know that it could be anything and different factors, but from what i have read and seen the 8v seems much more reliable and i was looking at 1 myself to replace the golf but decided to spend the money else where...

The 8v is sounding better and better :D

I'll go over this weekend and see if it's OK and get a deposit slapped on

I agree with above. As long as you don't want something fast then both are good. I bit the VR6 bug im afraid and would never go back.

My 16v I used to have to ragged in order to get anything out of it.

I think if you want a bit more of a torquey style feel. Go for the 8v. Or if you like to live in the high rev range then go for the 16v.

I do Mate,

Was the reason I got the 8v Golf as it suited my driving style more. The 16v had to have it's neck wrung to get it's performance but the 8v has a lazy attitude...........like me :D

To be honest, I'll be happy whatever type I get as I just love the look of the Corrado and to finally have one on my drive............. 8)

I'm limiting mesen to £2000 :(

Although I don't want to get a lemon, I cannot afford much more than that as I'm not a big fan of loans.

Although I don't want to get a lemon, I cannot afford much more than that as I'm not a big fan of loans.

You will be able to get a really nice once for that money. You could even have a vr6 for that money if you look hard enough.

Jonny, you've never driven or owned an 8v rado :lol: 16vs are also bloody dire too if you're talking about performance, but when you consider bang for bucks the 8v is leagues ahead, opinions based on fact and personal experience! :tongue:

The OP has already said he's happy with the performance of his Mk3 8v, so as Ben says i'm pretty certain he'd be happy with the same engine in a MUCH better car. The 16v will cost a fair bit more to run, will cost a fair bit more to fix when it goes wrong, and will not give a fair bit more performance.

If you're in the least bit interested in going quick, and want a 'performance' car, buy either a G60 or a VR6. If you just want a nice looking car that will handle well, then go for the best condition Corrado you can find regardless of what engine it has, if it's a toss up between the 16v and the 8v I'd recommend the 8v every single time.

How do you know wtf i've driven? :lol:

I've been in many different things with many different hamounts of valves. And a 2.0 8v mk3 was the worst. Oh and just opinions based on fact and personal experience. :grin:

You will be able to get a really nice once for that money. You could even have a vr6 for that money if you look hard enough.

Cool! that's good to know.

To be honest, I was thinking of a VR6 but was put off slightly by a couple of things. 1.The fuel costs. 2. Although the missus haas her own car now, there may be a time where she would have to use the car :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have this one I'm interested in at the mo. It looks mint from all the pics. one problem it has is the sunroof only tilts but at least it'll give me something to tinker with :lol: The exhaust is stainless and has a full dealer service history etc. so with the other info I have got from here I shouldn't go wrong.

I see the old 8v vs 16v is alive and well within the relms of Corrado ownership as well :lol:

my golf 8v a lot nice than the valvers i have been in :grin:

and for 2k mate, you can get a awesome 8v... i would be looking in the region of 1200-1500 for a decent one

VR6 only will use a lot of fuel in stop start driving, otherwise its not that bad...

and they always look mint in pictures :wink:

Cool,

This is all turning out to be very useful haggling ammunition :lol: :lol:

VR6 only will use a lot of fuel in stop start driving, otherwise its not that bad...

and they always look mint in pictures :wink:

Ha! I guess they do mate. I must admit, when under the bonnet of the Golf..........there is a lot of spare room :lol: