Sign in to follow this  
Andy-H

Choosing a Corrado

VR6 only will use a lot of fuel in stop start driving, otherwise its not that bad...

and they always look mint in pictures :wink:

Agreed, My VR6 is pretty much the same consumption as my 16v was. They are really lazy low tick over engines. I get the same mpg driving round town in the VR as I did in the 16v!!!

i know someone who brought 1, and 1 of my mates told him he had been done big time as it was no way a 2ltr :lol: he obviously had never seen 1 before and generally thought it was a 1.4 or something...

Jonny, you've never driven or owned an 8v rado :lol: 16vs are also bloody dire too if you're talking about performance, but when you consider bang for bucks the 8v is leagues ahead, opinions based on fact and personal experience! :tongue:

The OP has already said he's happy with the performance of his Mk3 8v, so as Ben says i'm pretty certain he'd be happy with the same engine in a MUCH better car. The 16v will cost a fair bit more to run, will cost a fair bit more to fix when it goes wrong, and will not give a fair bit more performance.

If you're in the least bit interested in going quick, and want a 'performance' car, buy either a G60 or a VR6. If you just want a nice looking car that will handle well, then go for the best condition Corrado you can find regardless of what engine it has, if it's a toss up between the 16v and the 8v I'd recommend the 8v every single time.

How do you know wtf i've driven? :lol: :tongue:

I've been in many different things with many different hamounts of valves. And a 2.0 8v mk3 was the worst. Oh and just opinions based on fact and personal experience. :grin:

Ok Jonny, owned and/or driven loads of 8v Corrados have you? :lol:

Come on dude, when I say 'personal experience' I mean that i've owned more than one of each of the two flavour Corrados we're comparing, over a number of years, so can form a full opinion having had to own, run and maintain both. Not that i've been a passenger in a mates car that isn't a Corrado but has the same engine :lol: :p

We're not talking about 0-60mph times or torque figures here, 'bang for bucks' is what I said :dorky: As I said to you before, any Corrado is a great car and a step up from a 1.6Mk2 Ryder, i'm not dissing your valver :notworthy:

:camp:

Ok I feel I have the history to comment on this as Ive had all the Corrado itterations to date. The 8v was ok, not quick, yet as they were run out models they are all a lot newer. MPG was ok but I couldnt hack paying high insurane for a car that was not really that quick. I even had mine remapped and it still didnt make it exciting.

The other are as described, 16v wont get you much more mpg than the VR and you do have to ring thier neck to get decent performance. The 2l felt like it had more midrange than the 1.8l.

MPG would only really come into it if your doing 10k+miles a year for me. I cant tell you what to buy, best thing is to try them all if you can however I would only buy an 8v if it was uber mint which I think is pretty much impossible to find now unless they have had some paint. The newest of them is getting on for 14yrs old now remember.

Ok I feel I have the history to comment on this as Ive had all the Corrado itterations to date. The 8v was ok, not quick, yet as they were run out models they are all a lot newer. MPG was ok but I couldnt hack paying high insurane for a car that was not really that quick. I even had mine remapped and it still didnt make it exciting.

The other are as described, 16v wont get you much more mpg than the VR and you do have to ring thier neck to get decent performance. The 2l felt like it had more midrange than the 1.8l.

MPG would only really come into it if your doing 10k+miles a year for me. I cant tell you what to buy, best thing is to try them all if you can however I would only buy an 8v if it was uber mint which I think is pretty much impossible to find now unless they have had some paint. The newest of them is getting on for 14yrs old now remember.

Thanks for the comment.....really useful

I have had a price check on the insurance for the 8v, 16v and yesterday tried the VR6.

8v - + £25 over the Golf insurance

16v - + £75 over Golf insurance

VR6 - £105 over Golf insurance

This may sound daft & stupid to a lot of you but I personally prefer to spend my Sundays detailing the car on the drive than going doing trackdays etc. The 8v I am going to look at is supposed to be mint but you never know until you get there. The 8v insurance is so close to the Golf that it means I can have the car I always wanted and not have a big increase in the compulsary annual spend.

My decision will be made totally on the condition of the car and not the stats & performance figures. And as everyone has said, the 16v has to be driven higher in the rev range to get the performance yet the 8v & VR6 has the torque lower down. I would say on that, as with the Golfs, the 16v will have had a slightly harder life that the other 2.

This will be my only car, therefore I have to factor the reliability. My 8v Golf has never let me down so it is a little case also of "better the devil you know"

and as other people within this thread have said that they are a good, solid motor then that's good enough for me.

Problem is it is more often than not everything apart from the motor in the cars that is the least relaible part.

Yeah, I am going to have to make sure that my heart doesn't rule my head when I go out viewing

when ever i go to look/buy a car im a nightmare, i would buy it if i got there and it didnt even have a engine :lol:

:lol:

here here - bought a Gleaming S3 last year - even though there was a frick'in tow-bar on it, driver door card was hanging off and the noise off the rear bearings :brickwall:

The minute it rolled past me and parked up I was - 'right, I'm 'ave'n that' :lol: :lol:

Well, just a little update.

Went to view the 8v at the weekend and it turned out to be a bit of a lemon......not by much but enough th make me stay clear. Was tempted though, very shiney :(

Anyway, now looking into a deal with a 1.8 16v so I'll let you know.

Totally the same Mate :lol:

If it's shiny, I'm like a bl**dy Magpie :lol:

I am in that boat too. Original Corrado bought without seeing, it came in as a part-ex at a Renault dealership were my bro worked. First Mk2 Golf GTI 8v I went to see it came back with me then I started to notice the flaws. Mk2 16v bought with a towbar on the back; but it was a 3door on a J plate intention was to restore her but it was sold on to a mate that proper killed her (J115PPE RIP) :shrug:

but on the 8v 16v front and I am not technical or mechanical; just on driving I much preffered the 8v; that said the VR is ssssoooooooo good but if you need the reliability then they do try your patience (especially the bloody stalling :censored: )

All up in the air again :(

The 16v was no good, now looking at a 1.8 16v or a 2.0 16v.

Think I'll just have to go with the best motor I can find and hope i don't get sucked into a massive money pit :lol:

Finally got one :clap: :clap: :clap:

2.0l 16v Classic Green pearl. Well chuffed.

Only downside is I go on holiday this Saturday for 2 weeks so I won't be able to drive or tinker with it :( .

Cheers, really pleased with it.

As soon as I got it home it was subjected to a wash, clay and a 3 stage paint treatment 8)

Needs a couple of things doing as a priority.

Needs a full service on the brakes and the idle is all over the place but I have found the problem. The return spring has snapped on the throttle body and has had a "fix" which although it works, doesn't work properly :(

Is the return spring on the throttle body easily available or am I going to have a 'mare trying to find one??

you'll probably have to buy a complete second hand TB, they come up on here and ebay all the time, the 1.8 TB spring will do you just fine too

congrats on purchase too :D

you'll probably have to buy a complete second hand TB, they come up on here and ebay all the time, the 1.8 TB spring will do you just fine too

congrats on purchase too :D

Cheers Aide,

Seen a few on ebay but they are fetching a right price :shock: :shock: I'll keep me ear to the ground for now. Going to take the spring off and give it a measure to see if I can get anything else to fit.

I am geting a 1.8 16v cam for mine , should make it go. this is after I fixed my idle :clap: its was the sensor on the back end

I've been told about this mod by a couple of people now and seems popular. Going to run it as is for now and get the niggly bits sorted so I can start to enjoy it properly :D

Just come in from having all the plastic wheel arch trim off looking for the side repeater wires & bulb that had fell inside :(