Sign in to follow this  
markgia1

Rado completely covered in scratches

My neibour accidently dirtied my car so attempted to rectify the problem by cleaning the car. However, the idiot must have used a scouring pad or alike as he has completely covered the car in very thin swirl like scratches.

Someone I know in the trade believes the best option is to re-lacquer the car and has said he can do the job for £650. He has said he will remove a couple of small dings and bigger scratches too for this price.

But what i want to know is if this is worth doing?

Could i posssibly T-Cut or use other products to bring the car back upto a nice shine and remove the swirly scratches without having to spend the money and without the re-lacquering?

What colour?

Sounds like a con, most small laquer scratches will come out with a good machine polish... where are you and we might be able to recommened a detailer to you

normal swirls polish out with a rotary or dual action polisher... you really need to get on detailing world and ask them lot!! they have guides and people who do this everday so sign up and post some pics!!

you can do it yourself or get someone to do it for you, its only the very deep scratchs that need wet sanding down which i wouldnt do yourself, needing new laquer must be bollocks if its just swirls and light scratches.....

you can do it yourself or get someone to do it for you, its only the very deep scratchs that need wet sanding down which i wouldnt do yourself, needing new laquer must be bollocks if its just swirls and light scratches.....

Absolutely. Re-lacquering :cuckoo:

They say you shouldn’t ever take more than 25% of the lacquer’s thickness off with machine polishing etc so I guess it depends on how bad it is. There are lots of variables involved but you’d be amazed at what a rotary can do in the right hands. I did the side of a friend’s car which had been ragged down country lanes and it had loads of scratches from branches and a couple of passes with my orbital polisher with only a gentle compound brought the finish up in 2 passes.

Totally agree with what has already been said, another piece of advice is to bin the T-Cut, generally does more harm than good

Get the pics up and lets see... you may even be able to get away with just using "normal" products as opposed to getting it Rotary polished.

I have heard that they are excellent there... more evidence then. Would love to see what they could do with my car but I would want all the panels to be the same colour before I take it :wink:

hi depending on how bad the scratches are i can have ago at correcting them, I should be able to get them out you can give me £650 :D

Attached is some pics of a 4year old aston martin db9 with fairly bad defects, spend 2 days on it and it was much better once all the paint was corrected and topped of with a layer of concours wax.

Its green.

I live in stroud in gloucestershire.

I will try get pics up asap.

Thanks guys

I've got a rotary- am a bit of a noob, but have started to get the hang of it (got rid of some swirls/holograms on the centre of my bonnet the other day). You're welcome to pop down and we could try correcting a small section and see how it goes. I'm just down the road in Wotton-under-Edge. Defo worth a try before shelling out all that dosh on a re-laquer!

If we don't get anywhere, it's worth giving Drew (see above ;) ) a shout, as he is the detailing god! 8)