Sign in to follow this  
Leonard

Any1 know owt about swappin out the nasty wood trim in Mk4's

My ma may have just bought a Mk4 Golf GTi in Black with beige Recaros but she hates the wood trim inside. Is there a cheap black alternative?

poo

oh well thanks for looking.

I know you can get hideously expensive R32 trim. But piano black would be good for less than a ton LOL

Remove said trim, sand lightly and spray with Plasticote paint. Did it on my 4motion and it worked a treat and lasted really well. Better than spending £130+ on the chinzy looking R32 stuff.

Remove said trim, sand lightly and spray with Plasticote paint. Did it on my 4motion and it worked a treat and lasted really well. Better than spending £130+ on the chinzy looking R32 stuff.

Did it look pretty OE mate?

My mum would kill me if I fooked it up :lol:

Did it look pretty OE mate?

My mum would kill me if I fooked it up :lol:

Yeah, not one person noticed and I even when trading it in the VW guy commented on it as he thought the wood would be there. Just take your time and mask properly.

Dead easy, as Coullstar has already said, our Golf has beige leather and beige doorcards so didn't fancy black inserts in the door pulls, simply bought beige door pulls from a base spec Golf that did not have any trim inserts. Centre console trim was simply sanded, sprayed and lacquered. Door pull can just be seen in this pic

Cheers guys for all the info, really appreciated.

Found biege handles on ebay and also black trim. Cost circa 80 squid for all of it so not end of the world.

What gear knob have you got there Andy? Looks nice.

Matt

I know my brother did it in his GTI with some brushed metal ones, I think he got it from ebay as well, and it looks good...:)

Gearknob and gaiter are OE Volkswagen R-Line, not cheap at about £60 but nice if you want to keep the OE look

Damn just realised its 6 speed isnt it. GTi is only 5, oh well

Cheers anyway

Matt