Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

Nissan 200SX?

If you like power sliding, buy one! The early 1800s are a bargain. Well built, fast and very under-rated. The later and run-out 2.0s are holding their value but are still a good buy, and better looking than the earlier one imo.

They handle well but like I say, they are very tail happy and the early ones don't have an LSD, so they just light up one wheel......but it's more of an issue in the wet.

They're big and heavy cars, so don't expect good fuel economy.

They're quiet and refined cruisers and can eat many many miles and your back won't suffer thanks to the excellent seats. The cabin is a nice place to be.

A great car imo.

K

Thanks Kev. Was possibly thinking about getting a later shape 'Touring' model in black. I've heard they're v.reliable and are v.similar speed-wise to the VR. Can also fit a dump valve...

The VR is faster than the older 1800 but not sure about the newer one. 1800s are 175bhp and 2.0s are just over 200bhp IIRC. Both are a bit heavier than the C and you feel it when driving them, not quite as nimble as a C. Turn-in not as sharp.

They are VERY reliable, you're right on that.....

K

early 1.8's are 170hp abouts, weigh 1185kg, 0-60 in 6.9, 140mph top speed and 144 bhp/ton.

slightly later 240sx is 155hp.

1994 shapes are 197bhp, weigh 1270kg, 0-60 in 7.0 secs, 145mph and 155 bhp/ton.

my dad works for nissan, when i was looking around for car before i got the C i looked at the older shape 200sx's and he told me a story about two blokes he works with. One of them owed a 200sx and was going away on holiday, and the other guy drove him to the airport. In return the 200sx owner let him borrow the car while he was away. IIRC the guy was used to driving a micra, so was fairly chuffed until....he went to overtake a van, booted it, and before he could pull out to go round the van he went into the back of it!

bloody rapid by all accounts, but to me they've aged quite alot and dont have the same retro appeal that the C does.

but to me they've aged quite alot and dont have the same retro appeal that the C does.

I agree, don't like the look of them at all, but its all personal preference I spose

You thinking of selling your Corrado Andy?? :(

Had enough of it already?

Yeah.. they are stunning looking cars.

I hear its not a good idea to get ambitious when driving in the wet though.. :)

Jim, I absolutely love the VR and would ideally keep it forever, but I got engaged at Christmas, will be married in May, so money's really tight. Want something with similar spec, but something a little newer and more reliable (although the VR has been pretty reliable so far!). Don't really know what to do to be honest- still weighing up all the possibilities!

Think it would be pointless to take the same route as before, as I got completely fed up with the civic very quickly (how you feel now I suspect!). So, think I need something that's going to be similar to a C- always liked the new shape 200SX, and they're really well kitted out (airbags, leather, A/C etc) so they look like the next best thing to a C for similar money.

We'll see!

Andy,

Well they have depreciated at a silly speed.. but obviously thats good news for someone looking to buy one now. You can get one totally decked out with all the leather and stuff for a very sensible price.

And they are supposedly very reliable.. though I should imagine they are similar to the VR6 for some aspects of running costs like insurance, a hunger for rear tyres, petrol, etc.

Congratulations on getting engaged by the way mate :)

Cheers bud - still on cloud 9 :)

Yep, they are an all round excellent package and much better equipped than the C, all for a similar price. Agree, running costs and insurance would be pretty much identical, but the overall upkeep should be quite a bit less.

Had my eye on a black 'touring' 1997 with 120k and full Nissan SH- for £3.5 k! Guy said he sold it straight away though. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for another one.

They can be modded really well too (stupid BHP available :shock: :twisted: ), but I'd have to wait a while before I'd be able to do anything like that, cos I'm mega skint! :(

I'll probably change my mind again next week :wink:

very nice cars! but have you thought about.....

300ZXegs1.jpg

Cheap prices and twice the turbo! (not a very good example int he picture though, nasty wheels!! :wink: )

:lol: Yeh, had thought about a 300....briefly!

Love 'em (esp black 8) ), but reckon running/maintenance costs could be rather large.

Advantage of the 200SX is that they are quite new.

I tried a couple of 200SX Tourings before I finally found my VR6, in terms of speed they must be pretty similar, but the SX always felt like a much bigger car. The brakes on 1 of the 2 were superb, much better than the VR! You can also buy a much newer Nissan than you can a Corrado, I think they only stopped making them a couple of years ago?

The interior is OK, but certainly less practical than the Corrado, fine if you don't ever need to carry passengers, luggage, but personally I prefer the flexibility of the Corrado.

Always liked the 300s, but the thought of a 350Z is very tempting... :D

Jamie

'93 Aqua blue VR6

My Turbo Capri owning neighbour, I *think*, has put down the deposit on one of those new 350Z's... I haven't seen him for a while so I can't be sure.

They do look rather cool tho :)

Good advert for the 350Z....the demo one that the dealer opposite my work has broke down at some traffic lights just down the road hehehe

3.5 V6, 276bhp, RWD, strut braces, Nissan reliability, those looks luvlove.gif

Would make a nice VR6 replacement :wink:

[EDIT] OK, maybe the reliability aint all it's cracked up to be then :wink: [/EDIT]

Jamie

'93 Aqua blue VR6

One of my mates has an s13 200sx. absoloutly lairy in the wet. I know people who own twin turbo skylines and supras, and they aren't anywhere near as scary in the wet.

only bad thing with it is it broke down 2 miles from where he bought it (london) and had to get towed home (york)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

doesn't handle as nicely as a corrado, back end doesn't feel like it's attached to the car!

I have it on good authority the 350Z is mental and VERY rapid :lol:

The Zed (or 'Zeeee' if you're a yank) also sports a carbon fibre prop-shaft......weird I know, couldn't quite believe it when I read it either! I didn't think it was torsionally strong enough, guess it must be..... a big weight saving but the car still tops the scales at over 1500Kg......beautiful motor tho...

K