Sign in to follow this  
Sam.l

late front bumper grill missing! I think!

Hey all,

When i got my '91 g60 i was told that a late bumper had been fitted to the car. If thats the case i'm pretty sure its missing the grill/mesh that lies underneath the indicators/numberplate as theres a gaping hole there. I was just wondering whether this bit comes up for sale often and how much they might go for? Will try and post up a pic if it helps.

Thanks alot peeps. :)

they are something like £55-£60 new from VW if i remember, but im sure someone will come along with a second hand one for a much better price...

Thanks for posting, Will have to keep an eye out for one 2nd hand methinks then. Were there many variations to the Rado's front bumpers throughout the years? Just tryin to work out what i need to be looking for. And dont suppose that anyone has one going do they? :)

Thanks mate, Think if i find one for sale might be worth postin up a pic of my front bumper to check it is a late one as im not to sure! :confused4: Apologies for my ignorance ha. Was told it was when i bought the car anyways, just not too up the subtle (or drastic!) variations on the bumpers.

Look at the swage line that runs along the bumper. Where it meets (just before) the front wheel arch it will either turn up into a hockey stick shape (early bumper) or stay horizontal (late bumper). Same for your rear bumper.

Had a look at the bumper today, Do you mean the swage line that runs above the numberplate and indicators? If so, that line does turn up into the car just before the front wheel arch on either side so am guessing this is an early bumper then? And am i right in assuming that there was a plastic grill/mesh that lay in the hole underneath the numberplate? Thanks alot for any help guys. :)

Quick pic of the Lower grille under the bumper on my 1.8 valver. Not very good as I was lying on the drive jammed up against the fence but it should give you the idea.

Edit Oops, it sideways

you can tell by the indicators what age the bumper is as well, late style are flush with bumper whereas earlier are inset into the bumper. It might be cheaper to buy a bumper and get it off that then sell the rest of the bumper on.

you can tell by the indicators what age the bumper is as well, late style are flush with bumper whereas earlier are inset into the bumper. It might be cheaper to buy a bumper and get it off that then sell the rest of the bumper on.

Ah, but you can fit late indicators and fogs to an early bumper...

(yes, I've just done this to mine...)

Ha, things could get confusing :) . My indicators sit recessed into the bumper which would be early but as Henny said if they can be changed then it could be either :confused4: Lookin likely it is an early if the swage line that shaung60 had mentioned is the one running above the number plate and indicators. Does anyone know whether the grill/mesh on the bumper changed with the facelift? 'cos thats the bit im most concerned with as i just want to source another one that im missing.

Had a look at the bumper today, Do you mean the swage line that runs above the numberplate and indicators? If so, that line does turn up into the car just before the front wheel arch on either side so am guessing this is an early bumper then? And am i right in assuming that there was a plastic grill/mesh that lay in the hole underneath the numberplate? Thanks alot for any help guys. :)

Yep I reckon you have an early bumper.

Ha, things could get confusing :) . My indicators sit recessed into the bumper which would be early but as Henny said if they can be changed then it could be either :confused4: Lookin likely it is an early if the swage line that shaung60 had mentioned is the one running above the number plate and indicators. Does anyone know whether the grill/mesh on the bumper changed with the facelift? 'cos thats the bit im most concerned with as i just want to source another one that im missing.

I'd put a few pennies on you having an early car (pre '92) with an early bumper and early fogs/indicators.

I don't believe the grille/mesh bit did change through the life of the car. Early/late, they are both the same. Same as the bumper iron that the plastic bumper clips on to. It's just my gut feel. I have nothing to back up my theory :)

ha, I think your gut feelin sounds pretty good to me :) . It is a '91 g60 anyway but maybe i was misinformed by the previous owner and the bumper is in fact early like the rest of the car, not late. As long as the grill/mesh didn't change then i should be pretty safe in gettin a replacement that fits. Looks like we have managed to avoid too much confusion! Thanks guys.