Sign in to follow this  
easypops

Gearbox trouble.....or Not :-)

Hi,

I took the car to the garage this morning as i was hearing what i can best describe as a droning noise, which seems to get louder the faster you go.......I thought it was the rear wheel bearings as they were replaced a couple of months ago.

But as usual its never that simple :lol:

The guys at the garage said its the gearbox, you could hear a droning/grating noise when they spun the passenger wheel while the car was on the ramp, their thoughts were a bearing?

So a couple of questions if you dont mind

1. How much roughly will it cost me to get the box rebuilt?

2. Is there any other box that will bolt straight on? ( i guess one from a golf/passat vr6 will but was hoping to get a newer/lower milage one if i do need to replace)

Cheers

Martin

oh and i did use the search but all i found after many many pages was this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58361&hilit=vr6+gearbox......and the answers didn't help :lol:

if you get it rebuilt properly about 350-400 squid , you dont say what type you have but im guessing its an 02a in which there are many that will fit although ratios will be different depending which engine the replacement is off

if you get it rebuilt properly about 350-400 squid , you dont say what type you have but im guessing its an 02a in which there are many that will fit although ratios will be different depending which engine the replacement is off

Oops.....yes its a vr6 btw

Chance a 2nd hand VR box and take your chances etc

or rebuild your current unit if your the type that likes to sleep easy. :)

Any 02a will fit as said already,but you will probbly want to retain the VR ratios which means finding a v6 box doner.

I feel bad :( Seems like youve not had much luck with the vr since you bought it. Are you sure its not as simple as a front wheel bearing? Wasnt the gearbox off recently for the clutch to be done, could it be something to do with that, something not put back together right etc.

Btw, I noticed when you had the clutch done they changed the rear engine mount. Are you sure it was necessary? It was a Vibratech one that had been fitted maybe 3 years ago, and you know the low mileage I was doing...

Hi Joe,

Don't stress mate, i know the score when it comes to these cars and bits needing fixed/replaced :D

As for the mount getting replaced, it may have not been the rear engine mount but the gearbox mount?

I don't know if they are different or what actually goes on deep in the engine bay. The guys at the garage showed me the one that was taken off, and as far as i remember it was in a bad way.

So in answer to your question coullstar, no i didn't keep it ,sorry.......but i'm hoping if there is indeed a gearbox mount then the vibratech rear engine mount might still be where its meant to be :D

The reason i'm thinking it was the gearbox mount was that when i was reversing i could feel some unhealthy vibration, which was away after the work was done, so whichever mount was replaced it seems to have had a benefit. :D

Now for the good news........I went to see a friend of a friend who happens to be a gearbox mechanic :)

And after him taking the keys and going for a 10min drive he told me that the gearbox was fine, and that i need a new drivers side wheel bearing !

I asked him about the garage spinning the passenger side wheel, and he agreed that it might make a noise in the gearbox but thats because only one side was turning, something to do with the gears/cogs and diff(can you tell he lost me at this point :lol: ).

So i have ordered a new bearing from TPS and also picked up the 2 switches that go on the top of the oil filter/cooler?, as one of them seems to have developed a small leak and while i'm there i might as well replace both......just need to find someone to do the bearing as i think i'm losing faith in the guys i usually go to :lol:

Cheers

Martin

I use JR Volkswagen in Fulbar Road Paisley. Never had a problem with anything he's done to mine and he recently fitted a front wheel bearing to mine. Unfortunately I can't tell you how much he charged as he hasn't got round to giving me a bill. Not really too far from you either.