Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Ever bought a car and immediately regretted it

Fell prey to this last week.

After the aborted purchase of an Audi Coupe (car was badly mis-described) I needed a car quite quickly and ended up buying an Audi 80 Quattro Avant.

Flew up to Edinburgh last Wednesday to collect it and drove the 250+ miles home with no problems.

Came to start it on Thursday morning and it would tuurn over but not start, looks like the crank sensor has given up the ghost, currently in my local workshop to be rectified.

A sixth sense is telling me that this isn't the car for me so put it on E-Bay Thursday night and sold it with a Buy It Now price after two hours, will just about cover my costs and have at least described the car 100% honestly, that is all known issues (only a couple to be honest) declared.

Nothing on the car is ringing alarm bells but I just do not feel comfortable with it.

My first ever car was a S reg Vauxhall Cavalier GL. It was brill and gave me about 4 years good and almost trouble free motoring, then one day I lost it in the wet and it went to scrapyard heaven. I quickly then purchased a similar on on a V plate in white and regretted it almost immediately it wasn't like the first and gave me so much hassle :(

yup my first corrado, well was a few weeks later when i regretted it as I started noticing things.

ended up keeping it for 6 months then replacing it with another red valver

Yup, bought a G60 which was solid mechanically. But the body work could have done with a little TLC. Me thinking it wouldnt take too much time nor money to put right, bought the car. Then, as James said, i started to notice other bits of body work needed more then a little bit of attention.

Not sure if it was a blessing or a curse that someone decided to pull out in front of me and it was written off and i was payed out.

My girlfriends curent corrado:

Bought from a vw mechanic and friend, so I didnt really check anything

Loads of small niggly problems now turning into big ones, just had enough of the damn thing!

yeah mine was a 89 scirroco. just reminded me of a golf mk2. CORRADOS RULE.

well the spark plug blew out ripping all the threats out with it. cant say im sad. :)

but other than that machanicaly crap.

Montego Estate........yep, I don't know WHAT I was thinking :pukeright:

:lol: my dad bought one of those as a cheap run-around after smashing up his old A80, I was horrified at the way it drove, I swear it was no better than a Marina estate

The only car I regretted buying was an H reg Cavalier 2.0 GLi, which was awful on every level.

I had one of these on a H plate as well and agree.... It was bloody awful!!! Easily the worst car I ever brought

Montego Estate........yep, I don't know WHAT I was thinking :pukeright:

:lol: my dad bought one of those as a cheap run-around after smashing up his old A80, I was horrified at the way it drove, I swear it was no better than a Marina estate

Yup it was awful....and it was a 2.0l petrol that did about 3MPG too :(

The only car I regretted buying was an H reg Cavalier 2.0 GLi, which was awful on every level.

I had one of these on a H plate as well and agree.... It was bloody awful!!! Easily the worst car I ever brought

I bought that after I sold my old MK2 16V Turbo. I convinced myself I didn't need a performance car and practical and sensible was the way forward. Yeah right! That barmy notion went straight out the window the moment I turned the Cavalier's key and a massive cloud of regret and foreboding then fell upon me :lol: And I was right. 2 days later the head gasket blew :roll:

When it comes to Cavaliers, it's a case of £100 to change the head gasket, or get £100 in scrap value for it... if any breakers will take it? :lol:

So yeah, that got binned and I got back into the performance cars again!

I think the most foolish thing about that was not researching cavaliers before buying. My Dad used to have a Chavalier SRI 130 and that, to be fair, was pretty pokey back in 1991, so I assumed the 2.0 GLi had the same engine. WRONG!!! It has a gutless, low compression peice of schitt of an engine in it and it was completely gutless at any revs in any gear.

I know late 80's/90's VW's weren't perfect and even some of the jap cars were pretty bad in many ways, but how on earth did Rover, Ford and Vauxhall get away with those cars looking back :lol:

Yep bought a subaru type r running lots of bhp tracked it twice blew it up both times ,costing an arm and a leg to sort

both times :cuckoo: then sold it at a loss :epicfail: