Sign in to follow this  
CorradoVR6-Turbo

Question to those who have carbon bonnets.

As above,i would like to know if the two bonnet pins on your bonnets are adjustable of fixed?

Thanks

saw one today, looked adjustable just like the OEM bonnet, owner said it took him a while to get them adjusted right, but that's just the normal process.

Reason i ask is that i bought a bonnet and found the bonnet pin holes are fixed,so i ended drilling a large hole at the rear of the pins on the underside to remove the captive nut and slotting the hole and using the plate from the standard bonnet to make it adjustable.......lot of hassle for a bolt on bonnet!? :?

ah, sorry, see what you mean, so the carbon bonnet only has a fixed nut for the pins to screw into rather than a floating plate?, TBH I didn't realise the standard bonnet was like that, thought they only adjusted up and down.

yea they can be adjusted up down left & right etc as most bonnets to slam pannels will differ some what,i fitted the carbon bonnet as is and the gaps were all over the place as it was guided in by the pins which are fixed...its all sorted now but just wondered if all the carbon bonnets fitted perfect first time?

David.... was it my carbon bonnet that you saw today in Milton Keynes?!

Classic Green VR on Teledials...!?

Turbo - Mine took a little bit of adjusting to get it perfect, but it all lined up pretty much OK to be honest.

i make carbon fibre for a living, they never fit perfect im afraid. alot of carbon replacements bend/flex with speed to be honest. unless they have zero's in them.

bonnets should be pinned down, drilled through to hold down. my company makes the chassis for the new mclaren, trial for lamborghini and had a recent trial for vw bonnets which was two 60 degrees and zero degrees for strength.

can explain more if required....bonnets etc at ed38 are shite please dont buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the bonnet fitted just fine but the pins need more adjustment and most are sold on the basis of plug and play with no mods. Dont want bonnet pins/latches sticking out the front of the bonnet.

thanks for your input.

as far as im aware its a must, no other way to pin down for sure. if your bonnet is just 45's it will flex at 110mph (ish) only way to hold them steady.

post a pic unpainted and i should be able to tell you what its made of

David.... was it my carbon bonnet that you saw today in Milton Keynes?!

Classic Green VR on Teledials...!?

yes mate :) I was loitering with sukh (blue95) as he's quite interested in the carbon bonnets, took me out in his synchro 1.8T, :salute: to the work he's done on that.

95% that they are only 45's. not good quality stuff.

if you look at the bonnets they take to ed38 you can see day light through them. its the name rather than being good to be honest. im planning on trying to fabricate body panels this year do maybe able to sort you out with a bonnet on the cheap :)

but please do go with rally type bonnet pins to hold down for now.

ah, forgive me, its basic knowledge for those in the know - but bullsh1t for those who don't.

a composite fabric (fibre glass, kevlar, carbon fibre) is made of up to four layers (generally speaking)

the most common is one layer at +45 degrees and one at -45 degrees. these are laid on to a bed and then stitched together, the same as your bonnet.

these angles can be altered, and/or zeros (multiple strands of fabric running in the same direction as the rest fabric can be added) for extra strength.

my company website is formax.co.uk i think? we supply gurit (supposed to have good videos)

i can record vidoes of us making the fabric if you would like?

jim

yea they can be adjusted up down left & right etc as most bonnets to slam pannels will differ some what,i fitted the carbon bonnet as is and the gaps were all over the place as it was guided in by the pins which are fixed...its all sorted now but just wondered if all the carbon bonnets fitted perfect first time?

My one from Mike at Performance Trim fitted fine first time. I must admit I didn't know they were adjustable left and right etc, I thought they it was just vertically adjustable.

ah, forgive me, its basic knowledge for those in the know - but bullsh1t for those who don't.

a composite fabric (fibre glass, kevlar, carbon fibre) is made of up to four layers (generally speaking)

the most common is one layer at +45 degrees and one at -45 degrees. these are laid on to a bed and then stitched together, the same as your bonnet.

these angles can be altered, and/or zeros (multiple strands of fabric running in the same direction as the rest fabric can be added) for extra strength.

my company website is formax.co.uk i think? we supply gurit (supposed to have good videos)

i can record vidoes of us making the fabric if you would like?

jim

Thanks for that,very good to get the "know how" :salute: it would be great to get a vid for myself and everybody else on the CF to see :D

My one from Mike at Performance Trim fitted fine first time. I must admit I didn't know they were adjustable left and right etc, I thought they it was just vertically adjustable

It was not miles out just i could see the lines were not right...and as its me i had to make sure it was spot on :tongue:

has anyone had problems with these, thinking of getting one soon so want to make sure it is fitted correctly

I had no problems with mine. Fit was pretty good - definately good enough. Am I as discerning as some of the people on here, probably not, but mine isn't a show car. I had mine fitted at Performance trim, and would recommend that route if at all possible. The only problem then is what to do with the old bonnet as it wont fit in a Corrado.

good point... i would rather buy a new lighter bonnet and shove it on rather than piss about taking the under bonnet insualtion off! as long as its safe etc! i would probly get the fibreglass one and paint it though

Mines carbon with the fibreglass underneath (cheaper than the full carbon and only slightly heavier), and I just left it as it was. I didn't bother with heat proofing under mine, and it has not been a problem.

Mines carbon with the fibreglass underneath (cheaper than the full carbon and only slightly heavier), and I just left it as it was. I didn't bother with heat proofing under mine, and it has not been a problem.

sounds good to me, might even consider doing the same. Any pics?

There are a couple in my build thread mate - try somewhere in the last 1/3 of it :lol:

There are a couple in my build thread mate - try somewhere in the last 1/3 of it :lol:

so i will have to mod the washer jets and then its fairly simple to get it sitting nice... might be ordering one soon then