Sign in to follow this  
jjgg125

isv - am i getting ripped off?

hello all, until recently i was having the usual VR6 stalling issues.. garage cleaned ISV & throttle body and all was well. Then it started stalling again, the garage replaced a leaking 'fuel return pipe' and 'intake breather pipe' and drew attention to 'idle control valve sticking intermittent.' Car was still stalling so i agreed that they should order in a new ISV, but since then it hasnt stalled in over a week of daily use.

Sorry for the ramble ; heres the real question, theyve got in the ISV now and apparently they want £260 for it!! :mad2: Is that a massive rip off or is that about right? Im pretty reluctant to fork out that much, particularly now that the car seems to be ok again!

sorry if this has been asked before, ive tried the searching thing but found nothing recent...

cheers

I don't know what they are new but you can get them used for around £15 and they are really easily to fit yourself. I am no mechanic and did it.

There are brand new pattern ones on Ebay that are around £60 IIRC. They are actually really good and work perfectly. As said above, second-hand ones can be had cheaply too.

If you can afford to pay £260 for a brand new ISV rather than getting/cleaning a good second hand one, I've apparently won the Swedish national lottery but can't afford the £10,000 processing/admin fee - I'd be willing to split the prize with you .... ? ;)

Seriously though, a brand new ISV would be nice but not for two hundred and sixty wing wangs when you can probably pick up a decent 2nd hand one for £20 or so.

To answer the question which hasn't so far been answered, the part itself will be at least £120-140, so add an hour labour for fitting it and you'll soon see £260 on the invoice without too much trouble. You asked them to buy it in, so they're unlikely to let you off now.

Are you sure that's not just £260 for the ISV itself? I would have thought they wouldn't quote for labour unless requested to do so...

I'm not sure, no. I know they set eye-watering prices on parts, so I guess £150 wouldn't surprise me, and I also know that they tend to sell individual parts in large assemblies, so you might wind up having to buy a whole load of other stuff at the same time, so who knows?

its 260 just for the part, not including labour. The guy said it was simple to change and wouldnt take more than an hour though.

im inclined to just pay so i dont piss the garage off; theyre local to me and generally theyre pretty good.

To fit an ISV on a 16v takes 5-10 minutes tops.. is it more buried away on the VR?

god, don't pay to have it fitted at all, it's about 2 minutes work, one of those opening and closing the bonnet!

BTW it's the same bosch unit that's fitted to VR passats and golfs and 2.0 16v corrados and passats as well as countless audi 80's and 100's, you should be able to find a second hand one fairly easily.

To fit an ISV on a 16v takes 5-10 minutes tops.. is it more buried away on the VR?

Nah it's dead easy - take one of the plastic guides off and you're looking at the ISV.

Are you sure that's not just £260 for the ISV itself? I would have thought they wouldn't quote for labour unless requested to do so...
I've recently been quoted that sort of price for an ISV for my Golf, they are only very slightly cheaper from GSF. Second hand is the way to go.