Sign in to follow this  
Greg Kirby

Aftermarket Suspension on the Track

I took my car on Bruntingthorpe for the first time in anger yesterday and thought I feedback on how my 'fast road' aftermarket suspension / brakes faired. In short, I'm still smiling now! I have Bilstein B8 Sprint mono-tube dampers, Eibach Pro-Kit, Frt/Rr Eibach ARB's, Frt 312mm brakes from an Audi TT with OE pads / discs. For a bumpy track like Bruntingthorpe, the Bilstein damping forces were very well matched to the Eibach spring rates, providing both compliance and control. If the track were a lot smoother, then I dare say I may have been left wanting for increased damping / spring rate, so if I get serious with track use, I may look for damping adjustable coilovers, that also allow me to chose springs of different rates from Eibach's race spring range. The brakes are probably one of the best mods I've (read Stealth) done to the car, way, way better than standard and I would say essential for sustained track use.

I'm sure you've all read the review of the Corrado VR6 in the 'past masters' section back of various magazines, stating things like, 'One of the best front drive handling cars' etc.. but it was only on the track for the first time that I truly understood what they were talking about. So precise, so nimble, basically, it will be a long time before my amateurish driving is anyway near being held back by the Corrado.

Stealth Racing have been brilliant, they have basically kept me going over the years with maintenance and mods, I might point out that my stage 2 VF charger and Aqua mist has been on my car for many years now and never missed a beat on road and now track - I know I'll never see VRT power levels but I'll also never feel a dynamically unsettling front wheel rush on the exit of corners as the boost comes on!

While fitting a baffled R32 sump, Vince mentioned the Corrado's lift-off over steer ability for the tighter corners, now Bruntingthorpe doesn't have any truly tight corners but I thought I would artificially create one on the slalom of the short circuit and what do you know - pile in, lift off, dab brakes while turning in and gently around it comes, back on the power, back on line - great! I say this like I could do it every time - don't get me wrong I must have achieved it properly twice in an hour!

I have to admit that on occation, I have been tempted to turn to the 'darkside', i.e. S14 or R33 GTR, but this has shown me that there is a whole new side to Corrado ownership that I have only just discovered. :salute:

Good write up there chap!

Would love to get mine on the track properly, although the IOM TT course isn't a bad compromise!

:D

Great write up. The problem is that you're on a slippery slope once you've discovered how great track driving is. Next thing you'll be stripping out the interior and being amazed at the difference it makes to how the car drives, then you'll need a safety package and that's cage, buckets and harnesses and you can't skimp on that, then you'll realise that also means you can't drive it on the road all the time now - you get the picture.

Good to hear the B8s are the shiznit - a mate's just jumped into them on the front of his G2 Syncro track car, ready for 2010. I'm holding off re-fitting my suspension pending harness/bucket/cage install - things get serious when you're looking at that.

Get on over to the 'ring next year - put your kit to some proper use. 8)

nice write up pal - glad to hear you're enoying it :D

i was impressed with my 312's, but if you're going to do many more track days etc you may find them inadequate - i thought mine weren't good enough when i fitted my r32 lump, and really only just good enough when properly hooning around with the original vr6.

brembos are the next step! :norty:

still, thanks for your thoughts there - interested to see what you think of your car under future "testing!" :lol:

What a great read :D :salute:

I know I'll never see VRT power levels but I'll also never feel a dynamically unsettling front wheel rush on the exit of corners as the boost comes on!

Turbo sizing my friend :D Aim to bring the boost in from 3500rpm upwards and that isn't a problem 8)

there is nothing unsettling, unless its wet :lol:

good read, i want to take mine on a track maybe next year

i havent experienced the 1.8T yet, but i have a mate putting one in a polo, and another putting one in a golf, so shouldnt be long...