Sign in to follow this  
VRTrickster

Do most people replace the front hub with bearing?

Ive just been looking a couple of how tos on the internet, and the two Ive looked at were replacing the hubs as well. Is it a good idea to replace them?

Or is it because its just easier?

How much roughly are new front hubs from VW? Ive been looking at some on ebay for £14.95 but is it really that much hassle to just to re use your old ones :?

Yeah thats what I thought. My dads going to be doing the hard bit of pressing them out anyway, which is nice of him! Im doing a complete overhaul of the front end, then a Stealth geometry done after, so I dont want to be taking it apart any time soon!

No they dont, the only thing you have to pull off them is the racer, so yeah I think Ill just stick with the old ones, Ive already spent enough money!

if you've got them apart it's worth thinking about replacing the abs rings and their fixing screws as they corrode with age and can get bent from stray stones etc etc.

also worth thinking about getting the whole lot sandblasted and painted if you've got the time to keep the car off the road while that's being done.

how do you rmove the screws on the hub holding it to the hub knuckle? I tried whacking them with an impact screwdriver but nothing happened, plus i was afraid the head would shear.

how do you rmove the screws on the hub holding it to the hub knuckle? I tried whacking them with an impact screwdriver but nothing happened, plus i was afraid the head would shear.

impact screwdriver is the way forward there pal - keep at it is all i can suggest. maybe you could try some GENTLE heat...

Cheers Griff. The only problem is that they're not attached to the car or the driveshaft, so there's nothing preventing it turning or holding it steady. Just wanted to strip these spare hubs down, paint and rebuild them with new bearings and screws.