Sign in to follow this  
duffer

VR6 Petrol consumption

I've currently got a 2.0 16v, but i'm really tempted to get a VR6.

the only thing putting me off is how much petrol they cain. Are they as bad as i've heard and will i need a loan to run the thing?

Cheers

My vr uses less petrol than my 16v ever did, driven sensibly, especially on longer drives.

It will use more though if you drive with your foot to the floor everywhere though.

Yup, totally agree. Driven carefully the VR is actually pretty damn good, given the potential of the engine. Cruise at 50ish all the time and it'll return 36-40 mpg. Around town on short runs though and you can expect to see 20-25 mpg ...

Yep, I was concerned about the fuel bill when I first bought a vr, having upgraded from a mk2 16v. But to my amazement it actually went down by about a fiver a week. Bonus!

Must have been a leak in the petrol tank...

According to my VR's MFA memory, over the last couple of thousand miles, my average has been 28.7mpg, so that's a range of 430 miles. But like Matt says, if you're cruising on part throttle, you can get mid 30s easily.

People forget bigger engines are more efficient and quieter than small ones. Large CC doesn't ALWAYS = Oliver Reed thirst.

K

sorry, run that by me again? a 'carefully' driven VR6 you say?? nope, sorry, I just can't grasp the idea of that at all..... how on earth can you lift your foot OFF the accelerator when it sounds so good above 4000rpm?

driving back from Milton keynes (about an hour) once, I decided to see how many MPG I could get, so drove it very carefully, ended up getting 47mpg when I got to Oxford

can't beat that :)

Unfortunately, due to engine problems, I'm now getting aout 20mpg

The VR is amazingly good on fuel for a 2.9, best i've had is 35mpg and on the run back from up north with my mate in his 16v, he only managed 29mpg while mine was on 32mpg.

Don't let fuel costs put you off a VR.

Don't forget also the VR has leggy gearing, a contributing factor to good mpgs. None of my old Beema 325is could return more than 25mpg, and they're 400cc smaller...but they didn't have an O2 sensor or TPS though.

In my car - Slow town driving - Around 18MPG

Cruising along at 50ish - Around 37MPG

Between 70 & 100 MPH - Around 30MPG

how the hell do you get that low????.........thats the sort of figures my old 2.8i XR4 used to acheive.......i haven't had under 20mpg from town driving my storm

That's AVERAGE Roddy! I've seen 15MPG before at the very worst! Bear in mind I live in the sh!tty backwater of Hereford, the only major town, nay City, on the A49 without a bypass! So at 5pm you will be lucky to travel 2 miles here in half an hour if you are lucky, therefore that sort of MPG in a VR aint so bad!! Mike Edwards may be able to back me up on this one!

That's AVERAGE Roddy! I've seen 15MPG before at the very worst! Bear in mind I live in the sh!tty backwater of Hereford, the only major town, nay City, on the A49 without a bypass! So at 5pm you will be lucky to travel 2 miles here in half an hour if you are lucky, therefore that sort of MPG in a VR aint so bad!! Mike Edwards may be able to back me up on this one!

ahh forgot there's a tad more congestion down south than up here(especially Aberdeen) :wink:

Yeah tell me about it! :( :x They're such great open, quiet roads in Scotland, especially up your neck of the woods, lucky gits!! :) :lol: