Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Ghey-nav recommendations

OK I personally hate these little screens... seems every :censored: ing middle lane hogger has the small "blue screen of numptyness" in the windscreen these days...

However with JR's imment arrival and the better half not really knowing the area, thought it best to invest in one for her to use in her car... until she gets to know the area from behind the wheel more.

So after recommendations for bext Sat-nav...

Ease of use, and accuracy are tops but also price too... and maybe s/camera updates! ;)

I really like Garmin and find them less 'busy' that the TomTom interface....

I'd maybe wait for a bit if you can though - xmas price wars and january sales etc

Also Google have just moved into the GPS software market and share prices of the above two companies both nose-dived!

tom tom or garmin and then decide what features you really need and how much you want spend.

For me, 150 quid on a garmin with traffic info and europe maps has been spot on.

But you could get basically the same unit but smaller screen, no europe and no traffic info for about 80 quid. Speed camera updates are a yearly fee though, think it's about 30 quid.

For UK driving buy a dirt cheap TomTom 520 from ebay or the like.

Depending on how savvy you are with pc's etc. search on the net and update the device to the latest SE v9 navcore software leaked from a tomtom programmer (google for it) and then you will have what is pretty much the lastest TomTom for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Maps are easy to install and the best speed camera database is available from pocketgpsworld.com The latest maps and speedcamera databases can also be found on the net for free, if your that way inclined.

Got a Garmin Nuvi 200 (I think) from Amazon earlier in the year.. it was factory refurb but came with full warranty and was £49.99! It's been superb - a top quality little unit in every respect. It's reliably taken me down to Cornwall and the south coast and various other places with no confusing or misguided directions..

Would heartily recommend it to anyone!

seeing you have sold the scirocco, i have one of these you can have. :lol:

Exactly the version of Sat-nav I use Karl! :lol:

resurrection time..

The Better halve's been given some cash towards a Sat-nav from my folks so...

Added to ease of use/ speed cameras... we can also add traffic and euro maps... was looking at the Garmin 265WT anyone got one of these?

Want euro-maps and traffic so we can take it to DK with us later in the year... I'm still not great with driving round over there, (Lots of long names!) :lol:

TomTom every step of the way.

Very simple & intuitive to use.

Very well designed (solid main unit with minimal 'plastic' guff on the mounting system).

Had Tomtom first on a PDA years ago then moved to an all in one unit 520? a couple of years ago.

Perfect in every sense. Money very well spent.

Exceptionally good support too - after 7/8 yrs the GPS receiver battery went & they still took back the old one and replaced it!

seeing you have sold the scirocco, i have one of these you can have. :lol:

Exactly the version of Sat-nav I use Karl! :lol:

Yep I also use map-nav cheap and cheerful.

5 years ago I got a Tom Tom Go 910 which came with UK and Europe Maps, plays MP3s, store pictures and also hooks up to the mobile for handsfree, even reads texts as they arrive. This can be a bit disconcerting as my brother used to wind me up by texting me rude words so it sounded like Stephen Hawkin having phone sex!

It has only let me down once - when it took me to a petrol station that was no longer there, then tried to take me down a bridle path . . . .

But overall it has been excellent!

resurrection time..

Added to ease of use/ speed cameras... we can also add traffic and euro maps... was looking at the Garmin 265WT anyone got one of these?

Want euro-maps and traffic so we can take it to DK with us later in the year... I'm still not great with driving round over there, (Lots of long names!) :lol:

Exactly what the g/f bought me for xmas !

resurrection time..

so how you finding it?

Got a Tom Tom XL Live thing (linky)

Advanced lane feature comes in very handy as does the IQ Routes - Calculates the route based on the real average speeds measured on roads. Live traffic updates have made me avoid jams and its easy to use while driving if you want to avoid something or change destination. Can't fault it really.

resurrection time..

...was looking at the Garmin 265WT anyone got one of these?

I really like my 255WT, but Garmin rip you off for map updates, at £100 quid you might as well buy a new one :mad2:

ive got a tom tom twatnav that ive had for 5 years and its been excellent, highly recommended

resurrection time..

...was looking at the Garmin 265WT anyone got one of these?

I really like my 255WT, but Garmin rip you off for map updates, at £100 quid you might as well buy a new one :mad2:

Ended up with the 255W (£90 from Tescos!) with euro mapping, and speed cameras... anyone know if you can update this with the traffic do-dad later on?

Also any "share-ware" site suggestions for Garmin users? :wink: