Sign in to follow this  
Bobbywhacker

The brembo conversion.... again

Hi all,

Thinkin about doing the often mentioned brembo conversion to my beloved VR6, just one and ONLY one question... if I have to drill the brakes in order to make them 5stud fitment, aren't I going to be lowering the integrity of the disc itself? Obviously you can get cross-drilled discs, but the holes in those are never as big a wheel bolt are they

I think you use Golf 4 Motion discs with custom brackets with 5 Stud Brembo conversions.....Mike Edwards knows a lot about these conversions so hopefully he'll cut in and correct me if I'm wrong.

K

you don't need to drill 'em for 5 stud fitment, just buy the Leon disks instead as they are the same 5 stud pattern (5x100) as the VR6...

The part numbers for both 4 and 5 stud versions are in the BIG thread about the conversion... 8)

*Edit* Woah, great minds and all that! :shock: :lol: 8)

What's the minimum wheel size for this mod? 16" isn't it? I've considered doing it as the VR brakes aren't that good tbh but I can't justify the expense of bigger wheels really :?

K

I know you can use the leon 5stud ones, but aren't the disc diameters bigger than the ibiza's?.. therefore not fitting in the ibiza calipers.. or is it best to use the whole leon setup? I did read up on the BIG thread, but seems a bit unclear when you get to the end of it

What's the minimum wheel size for this mod? 16" isn't it? I've considered doing it as the VR brakes aren't that good tbh but I can't justify the expense of bigger wheels really :?

K

yeah, SOME 16" wheels will clear, but the design of the wheel is the critical part... If the spokes curve in from the center then the odds are that no wheel of that design will clear the caliper...

I know that Borbet C 7.5J 16" will clear with the use of an 8mm spacer as that's what I'll be running my car on and I tested it before I bought the brakes! :wink: 8)

not sure,i wouldnt of thought it would be THAT much dearer than the ibiza kit,if you decide to go ahead with it let us know how much they are because im thinking about doing it myself

I'm pretty certain that you use the Ibiza set up, but just get some 305mm diameter disks off a Leon... It's either that, or the Leon and the Ibiza both use the same caliper and size disk, which is how I read that thread...

Have a word with Bill over at Badger5, that's where I got my kit from... Slightly cheaper than dealer prices, and you get the braided front flexy hoses in with the kit.... 8)

will do...... think it deserves the BMC treatment 1st... and a major service!

I've been in a VR with the BMC & a Schrick....I think you'll like :lol:

i was thinking of buying this conversion for my 4 stud corrado, but i also want to convert to 5 stud using eurospecs custom hubs, so i will have to get the discs drilled to 5 stud aswell, cause i cant find anyone who sells 305mm disc in a 5 stud

I wouldn't know about caliper mounts to be honest.. I heard you just used the leon/ibiza mounts and they fitted straight on.... I think there are issues with the offset... I think you have to run 35-38mm or something ... offset is still a bit alien 2 me, used to own a Nova after all!