Sign in to follow this  
swiftkid

Stereo problem

Im after a bit of confirmation more than anything, I ordered an ignition switch from my local car parts place and then reconsidered and decided to get a proper vw one. But just before i do, the problem is...

everytime i switch my car on (car starts fine, no problems), i have to tweak the key slightly further a few times to get the right point when my stereo comes on and stays on, it does also like to turn itself off as im bouncing along the road occasionally. Am i right in assuming this is the ignition switch that is the problem?

Its not a loose wire going to the back of the stereo?

Saying that, occasionally, when i've turned the car off for say 5-10 mins and turn it back on. The stereo has reset itself. I've checked the wires are all connected well so may be could be the ignition switch. Cant see how though :shrug:

well it can't be a loose wire because its everytime i turn the ignition and in order to get it working i have to twist the key slightly, its fine when its not in the 'on' position.

I am keen to know the outcome as there is wear in my switch. To make my stereo work I have to push the key in (against the spring) in the ignition lock or partially turn it unlike other Golfs & corrados I have been in and occasionally the interior fan still works even with the key out of the ignition.

On the subject of the swich itself, I have always read that the Genuine one is by far a much better quality item and can confirm that when I replaced the one years ago (14 years ago, doesn't time fly) in my mk2 golf, the cheap one only lasted 2 weeks before I had to replace it again.

well it can't be a loose wire because its everytime i turn the ignition and in order to get it working i have to twist the key slightly, its fine when its not in the 'on' position.

Certainly sounds like the ign switch dude. Enjoy swapping that out, a real PITA apparently, bent screwdriver :nuts: required for a hidden screw?

Certainly sounds like the ign switch dude. Enjoy swapping that out, a real PITA apparently, bent screwdriver :nuts: required for a hidden screw?

what! ive got to do this in the next few weeks! bloody Germans and their inaccessible screws!

it sounds to me like the ignition switch as well dude, does the dash switch off when your engine cuts out while driving?

what! ive got to do this in the next few weeks! bloody Germans and their inaccessible screws!

it sounds to me like the ignition switch as well dude, does the dash switch off when your engine cuts out while driving?

my engine doesn't cut out whilst driving lol!!! and no the dash doesn't switch off at anytime, its only the stereo

For the sake of a tenner for a genuine part you may as well change it.

When i changed the switch i too a hammer to the plastic casing which fell out allowing me to access the screw easy. I then just cable tied the new switch back in place.

well they are £20 +vat now but if it is going to cure and irritating problem i might as well. but i will be putting the screw back in so expect an update in "vent your spleen"

well they are £20 +vat now but if it is going to cure and irritating problem i might as well. but i will be putting the screw back in so expect an update in "vent your spleen"

£20 + VAT sheeeesh... they have gone up.

Good luck with that swift. You best get a nice cushion to put on the pedals to rest your head on, with your legs on the seat :lol:

you could always bypass the ignition to confirm it is

only downside being you have to actually turn the head unit off when you get out to avoid flat battery.