James.

Scotts of Sloane Square Campaign

South America ... Ahhhhhh that would explain it then just out of interest just check your passenger side inner wing under the air box, mine is stamped vw .......... Mexico!

What does yours say?

Doh just re read a couple pages saw the pic.... Exactly how mine is

Is every corrado like that then I wonder do they all have inner Mexican wings???

Doh just re read a couple pages saw the pic.... Exactly how mine is

Is every corrado like that then I wonder do they all have inner Mexican wings???

VW sheet metal all came from Mexico back then - the actual wings were pressed at Osnabruck

Correct. I believe it's referred to as a "gooseneck" tow bar. It was from my first 16v. But there's no reason you couldn't have a second bumper for times when not in use for lengths of time.

Hi, nice work on the car, i may be able to help you out with the dash. I'll make some enquiries and update you.

Has anyone heard from Majik? Interested in the campaign interior he has mentioned for sale.

Looking to refinish the alloy parts I've removed from the engine bay.

Do I paint them to get the right "as new" finish (If so which colour) ? Or do I do something else with them ?

Don't want shiny, blingy bits in the bay.

Manifold,Rocker cover etc all need doing.

I suggest painting them as I don't want to be taking the car apart to do it again in a couple of years.

Suggestions either by reply, postacard or back of a sealed down envelope please...

Here's an example of where I am at now after a degrease and light wire brushing:

P1040535.JPG

Edited by James.

Snack sized update.

After much faffing, driving and trawling I've found a shot blaster and powder coater. Seems no one does both in and around the West Lancs side of town. Shot blasting will be carried out by a chap in Wigan who I happened upon years back and amazingly is still at the end of the dusty road he was years ago. Whilst powder coating duties shall be handled by Vanden over in Westhoughton (Cow yed territory as some say in and around the borough).

Will be dropping the parts off next week and should have them back within 48 hours.

So much to do. Just as well it's a four day week next week, followed by two weeks off.

Looks like I'll be pretty much sleeping/eating/dancing/mending in the garage then...

Not a lot of movement on the Campaign front Andy. Thanks for asking.

Best intentions and all that.

I had two weeks off and had commited it all to the Corrado.

After the first week of splitting joints/shocks/brakes, feeling like I was getting no-where and an expensive visit to Corkills VW Wigan, I kind of lost the love.

So in week two I:

Built a fence.

Went to Chester Zoo.

Mowed the lawn (twice).

Fixed the strimmer.

Arranged two impromptu barbeques.

Played with Oscar in the blazing sunshine (often)

I've also taken on another restoration project. But it's a house this time.

I don't want to admit it, but it looks like the Campaign won't be seen out this year.

But maybe I have another Corrado up my sleeve...

Edited by James.

Not a lot of movement on the Campaign front Andy. Thanks for asking.

Best intentions and all that.

I had two weeks off and had commited it all to the Corrado.

After the first week of splitting joints/shocks/brakes, feeling like I was getting no-where and an expensive visit to Corkills VW Wigan, I kind of lost the love.

So in week two I:

Built a fence.

Went to Chester Zoo.

Mowed the lawn (twice).

Fixed the strimmer.

Arranged two impromptu barbeques.

Played with Oscar in the blazing sunshine (often)

I've also taken on another restoration project. But it's a house this time.

I don't want to admit it, but it looks like the Campaign won't be seen out this year.

But maybe I have another Corrado up my sleeve...

another one...just admit defeat and sell it to me... you know it`ll go to a good home

sound like a good week james.

i was close to purchasing an 8v the other day but decided 1 was more than enough problems in my life!

another one...just admit defeat and sell it to me... you know it`ll go to a good home

I'm just keeping it warm for you Andy !

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

sound like a good week james.

i was close to purchasing an 8v the other day but decided 1 was more than enough problems in my life!

A wonderful week of mixed skys and emotions Adam.

What's the prognosis on the engine ?

possibly just the head! my engine doctor should be round some time this week to test.

off topic a bit, you wasnt the james i seen the other day at the beech, it was other james....i got mixed up!

Hi there, can I ask what you did with the bit of trim on the dash with the small air / vent holes? The part thats near the screen... Did you trim over that bit or leave it?

Cheers Rams

Ask away.

Trimmed over the entire surface of the dashboard (as it had been before). The small holes are ventilation holes and not just cosmetic. So when mine was trimmed, they were bonded down and then opened up with a sharp.

Hope that helps

Cheers James.

I had my dash trimmed and so far there are some black round inserts that try and finish the top surface off but are a little to big. They can just lift out as the trimmer said he wasn't convinced either. I will try and get some pictures to compare. Have you got a picture of that bit on your dash?

Before you saw the hole inside and it always looked unfinished so wondering if what you had done did the trick?

Ladies and gents. Eyes down for a full house...

Well it all kicked off, a right old fashion this week. After months of having to go in the garage for other jobs and seeing the campaign, sat stranded in a sad state of affairs, I picked up the courage (and a wire brush) to feel the love and dedication once more.

Like a snow ball cast adrift at the crest of a wintery mountain, we soon gathered momentum. And it's safe to say that by the end of the day we were cooking on all four rings.

So let's crack on with cleaning the engine components shall we.

Picked out a couple of "easy uns" to tease me in gently. Worked the wire brush down to a nub and then set about cleaning down with a bit "o" pre paint.

P1050039.JPG

Inlet manifold (both parts), rocker cover, brackets, pumps etc etc are breathed on via the wonder that is Alumablast and we are on to a real Michael Winner.

P1050041.JPG

Spread out all the bits that need powder coating like butter across the garage floor. A quick phone call to the powder coaters, a lash of crusty metal into the 8Valves boot. A brief lunch of left over courgette risotto in the northern sunshine and were under starters orders.

P1050042.JPG

Half an hour later, my lumps of obsolete obscure offerings are left behind. An hour later I'm back home in the garage and applying a second coat to my new found forged friends.

To say I'm happy with the results is an understatement. Out in the sun the results are astonishing. The suns solar rays really bounce on the coating.

P1050084.JPG

Any hooo, this time next week, I'll have the bits back from senior powder coater and hopefully I'll have pushed on with some more restoring.

Now, where's the the key to the safe, so I can lock away some of this ere' enthusiasm, while I've got it...

Edited by James.

Looking good mate. Gotta love the look/feel and "smell" of freshly powder coated metal parts lol

Nice write up, your commentary made me laugh :)

BBQ paint is all I have to say on the matter, its the way forward :)

Not wrong there Adam. The finish on yours is very good indeed. A good friend has just finished painting his engine block, so is dropping round the remainder of the can this weekend.

Bought some grey metal paint from the Frost website this afternoon for the alternator. Wasn't happy with the colour so will be giving it a dress up again.

I'm a right giddy kipper at the moment.

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Looking good mate. Gotta love the look/feel and "smell" of freshly powder coated metal parts lol

Nice write up, your commentary made me laugh :)

Laugh in a positive way I hope !

No, but thanks for the pat on the back. I've needed a bit of a shove recently, what with all the other "projects" that are going on in my life. Lining up at Harewood and Tatton with some of the best Corrados (and best cars on show to boot!) in the country really inspired me to tap in to the momentum from the past 18 months of work.

You've sewn the seed now. As soon as I pick the bits up, I'm going to be itching to give them a sniff. And probably get caught in the process.

It's all good.

Good reading as ever James, you painting the ancillary bracket & dipstick tube or getting them sand blasted? Just curious :)

Aaaaah, the pile of 'old' bits pic takes me back. But, the pic of the newly blasted / coated pics is the one I'm waiting for.

Bliss...

You got all the new nuts & bolts on order??? Hours in the parts department for a (hopefully) small bill. LOL

Ahh yes, most defo meant all in jest and positive. I've had my fair share of rebuilds and keeping motivated after continuously being knocked back is the hardest thing. You kinda think shall I cut a corner here or there....Naaah - do it once, do it right!

Secretly we are all suckers :) ...but we love it and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Sniff away lol

Good reading as ever James, you painting the ancillary bracket & dipstick tube or getting them sand blasted? Just curious :)

Thanks Paul. Ancillary bracket is being blasted, though I'm undecided what to do with it. Don't really want to leave it unfinished, but I guess I'll wait to see what it comes out like. I've got a couple of types of metal refinish paint, so I guess one of those. In an ideal world I'd leave all the metal parts in an unfinished/raw state, but don't particularly want to be refinishing the parts again any time soon. Added to the fact that some of the other parts will have a coat of some sort, I guess there has to be some sort of continuity. What say you ?

I was going to enquire about a new dipstick tube at VW. Bet you'll know if they're obsolete or not ?

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

Aaaaah, the pile of 'old' bits pic takes me back. But, the pic of the newly blasted / coated pics is the one I'm waiting for.

Bliss...

You got all the new nuts & bolts on order??? Hours in the parts department for a (hopefully) small bill. LOL

I'm so excited about getting the coated parts back (sad isn't it).

Not ordered any bolts yet. Trying to take it one step at a time (financially and literally). This time last week I had no intentions of kicking the restoration back off. But another week passes and here we are.

Think I'll break out ETKA for parts numbers and do it all in one hit. Don't mind spending a small amount of time at Corkills as they have an excellent range of beverages, along with a seating area where I could eat my packed lunch.