Sign in to follow this  
volksworld13

bloody windscreen fitters!!!

ive had nothing but trouble with windcreen fitters, heres a low down , cracked screen, ring insurance replacemnet for 80 quid, rac autoscreens, come to fit,

cracked scuttle trim on removal, removed screen by cutting half your now obsolte a pillar trims up,trying to cut the sealant, installed new screen, used black sealnt to stick my scuttle down again, noted on his job card, corrosion around screen poss leak/crack.didnt syncronise the wipers after.and palms some modifyed screen with a larger rubber seal instead of the black moulded original style.one more thing, the amount of sealant he used squidges into the a pillar , so when the trims are in place you can see a big irregular load of sealnt protruding into the trim, bunch of wan**rs!!! :censored: :mad2:

low and behold 6months later my drivers footwell is a bloddy swimming pool. is it really that hard to find somone good enough to fit a corrado screen.

warning to all corrado lovers, remove a pillar trims /scuttle first before they arrive, and get the right screen with black mouldings on it.i cant recommend any window fitters, but i do have a really good body shop near me i will enquire!! :clap:

Sorry to hear that news buddy, but yeah a bit stupid of the fitter to not renove the trims inside for the sake of 5 mins. were the scuttle trims stuck down with silicone before at all? as this would make them tricky to remove for him.

We have had 4 windscreens fitted by RAC autowindscreens as they are now called in the last 2 years for one reason or another 2 were to tidy the body work up around the screen and our man did all of them and was nothing but profesional si i guess it just depends on the actual fitter rather than the company as is often suggested.

He's in sheffield though so a bit of a drive for you :roll:

Good luck with it though!

I've had a couple windscreen replacements on my old 306 and Golf :p They were all done to a very professional and high standard by rac auto windscreens, however, i have recently had to have the dash out of my rado, after finding out there was about a 3 inch gap on the bottom of the windscreen where were was just no sealing done at all. When it rained a wonderful amount of water soaked the sound proofing foamy stuff in the dash to buggery! Though a healthy amount of polyureathane sealant later (I think) it is completely leak free...

Perhaps it's just a grudge windscreen companies have against Corrados? Or they just don't know how to fit them to such a peculiar car ;D hah.

Autoglass did my windscreen recently and did a pretty decent job from what I can tell. Bloke was very methodical and seemed very interested in cars generally which is a good sign I think.

Autoglass did my windscreen recently and did a pretty decent job from what I can tell. Bloke was very methodical and seemed very interested in cars generally which is a good sign I think.

Indeed i think thats half the battle really, if they like their job and seeing and working on different stuff then they ought to be making an effort. I know i certainly like a challenge and like to do a better job than anyone else could when i get a tricky job in, to me long term customer satisfaction is paramount :salute:

They done mine and totally f***ed it up to the tune of £500 of paintwork :pale: they footed the bill tho. :grin:

This year I've had to have a new windscreen in both the Corrado and my TT. Corrado was done by Autoglass with one fitter - took about 3 hours and I'd say a 7 out of 10 job. Not a perfect fit and looks as though one side droops a bit. Also passenger Lupo wiper misses a 2 inch strip when wipes so not sure about the curvature. :brickwall:

TT was done by RAC with two fitters - done in about one hour and easily a 9.5 out of 10 job.

My Autoglass 7 out of 10 score may get a lot worse today. Did some interior vacuuming yesterday as just got new VW mats to replace rubber ones (no more squeaking with wet shoes :clap: ). Noticed passenger side carpet was more damp than drivers side. As it's rained all night I will check when day breaks to confirm my worst suspicions. Lets see how their guarantee stacks up...windscreen's only been in 3 months so I've every right to complain :mad2:

Guess it's a real lottery as to what level of quality you get then. As a rule of thumb, what as standard should I be looking for when a screen is fitted (trim, sealant coverage, glass type etc) ?

I've removed the a post covers/scuttle trim/wipers so wouldn't mind having an idea of what to look for when mine gets replaced in the not too distant future.

you have more chance of water coming in via the heater intake rather than the screen.

Infact I was probably paranoid :pale: - more a case of a very wet November, car left outside more than in the garage plus rubber front mats. Put it in the garage this week, had a fan heater inside for a bit which worked pretty well. Now it's just cold plus I have some new VW carpet mats so condensation underneath rubber mats won't be an issue.

I've had two done, one was like factory fit the other not so good. Recently the filler/finishing trim started to lift so I went to my local RAC auto windscreens, on approach they cowered behind the desk. They immediately said I hope you don't want a screen in the Corrado do you? I asked why and they said they are just about the hardest car they've ever had to do to get right. One tech said he'd done a few and he was honest and said he's never been 100% happy with the results.

Appently the technique of fitting is unique and difficult, from what I remember him saying, the metal trim down the edges it part of the screen and they have to put the sealant on, put the screen in and move it around to force the sealant through the gaps (between glass and body). At a point that its of sufficent tackyness (a technical term) they push the finishing trim into place and squish and trap it(again slightly moving the glass around). This they say is hard to do and why most fitters make a mess, also hard to know if the finishing trim is bonded fully. If the finishing trim does come out it impossible to reseat it properly (eventually I will have to have the screen out again to get the trim properly flush)

The advice was from them, if your going to get it done make sure that the technician has done a few before, otherwise your car will be their education. He did however say he would be happy and confident to do mine, and do a much better job than the existing install.

one more peice of advise, the screen fitters may offer you a modifyed type screen with no plastic trim bits either side, and a new modified seal, do not except it ,it looks sh*t and tacky, :( get the factory look one instead.

.. And from what I've heard get it done at their fitting center rather than by a "Mobile" at least that way you know there's more than one bloke availbe...

Not had windscreen done by them but had rear 1/4 glass done after some Junkie thought it'd be a good idea to break in using his fist (and leaving enough "DNA" on my car to get himself banged up :gag: ).. They ended up needing two people to fit it... :eek:

As to getting them to fit a new screen fitted in my old Mk1 Cab... the Welwyn Garden City Branch had to call a guy in from another branch who was "old-skool" enough to know how to fit a non-bonded screen! :lol:

To be fair, when the local branch (Warrington) rang me up the guy on the phone said that he would have to be involved fitting it, as he was the only one there with enough experience of them. He did say it was a two man job so my mind is "kind of" more at ease.

.. And from what I've heard get it done at their fitting center rather than by a "Mobile" at least that way you know there's more than one bloke availbe...

Yes and no really, the "fitting centers" - especially with Auto Windscreens - don't have dedicated staff. You drop your car off and then a mobile fitter just does it outside the branch rather than outside your home.

1st screen Autoglass, 9 out ot ten

2nd 3rd and 4th (they kept breaking them) RAC 0 out of ten- mastic on the leather,had to buy new scuttle !

5th screen National windscreens,done on my drive 10 out of 10

Definitely sounds like a case of the RAC guy learning on the job there.

I recon no matter which company you choose before booking in and certainly before handing over any keys you need to speak to the guy who would be doing the job to see if he is confident in it.

If the company you call can't / wont let you speak to the fitter I would 100% move on to calling another company.

I've also found that regardless of which company your insurance company say they have to use most windscreen companies themselves just need the policy details to be able to process the payment.

Changed the wiper blades today. For some flat ones. Drivers side is fine but the passenger side misses most of the windscreen for about 70% of it's travel. Is this because the new windscreen has a different curvature or just that I need to bend the wiper arm slightly to force the blade into contact?