Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

rotary or DA Polisher??? please help

Looking at getting a machine polisher for Xmas, as my car has never been polished only waxed in the four years i have owned it!!!!

i really dont know which one to go for I have looked on Detailing world and they highly recommend a Makita rotary polisher.I really dont know which machine to go for as rotary's are supposed to give you the best finish but you could end up damaging your paint, or do i play it safe and go for the Meg DA polisher! will i get just as good a finish, thinking of going for the Megs/Mezmana package on clean your car. I love detailing my car but have never used a machine polisher in my life.

any help people i would be most gratful

regards

Chris

i bought the kestrel DA too, and got some nice results, but can take a long time to correct deep marks etc. I also managed to damage the paint in one area, but have a feeling it wasn't "original" VW paint.

Also the menzerna are very good , i've used these two myself but with a rotery.

1 x 250ml - Menzerna Power Gloss (S34A) Cut 5 Gloss 1

1 x 250ml - Menzerna Super Finish (PO106FA) Cut 2.5 Gloss 5.0

I have both, DA and rotary. I started off with the PC7424 DA. The DA gives a good finish. If you are only using it on your own car, once you have found the right polish and pad its fine. Deeper scratches/marks will take a little more work with the DA but you do feel a bit safer using them. The DA is also safer to use on plastic areas, such as bumpers as the paint doesnt heat up as much. I have a makita rotary and you can tell the difference. The rotary is more powerful and you need to pay more attention to what your doing. Its not as bad as some make it out to be. It will burn through paint if held on an area for to long, but you shouldn't be holding any machine in one place for to long. As with all machine polishers practice on a scrap panel if you can before using it on your own car, just so you feel comfy. It's always best to also get a paint depth reading if you can, so you know what your playing with. Remember both types of machine have a speed control so you can work at a lower speed until your happy to move up.

In terms of DA polishers I have had a shot of most and would agree A1, the Kestrel is probably the best of the bunch. The PC is a little dated, the rest have more power. I have heard of problems with the Meg's reliability.

Choose a machine before you choose your polish. Menzerna polishes are great but some can take a little more work with a DA to break down. Meg's have some great polishes that are suited to the DA, such as 83. I have a dark burgundy (Lc03) Corrado and originally used Menzerna with the PC, it left a very good finish but took a bit of work to break the polish down.

summary - I would go for a DA if only using it on your car and would suggest Meg's polishes.

Choose a machine before you choose your polish. Menzerna polishes are great but some can take a little more work with a DA to break down. Meg's have some great polishes that are suited to the DA, such as 83. I have a dark burgundy (Lc03) Corrado and originally used Menzerna with the PC, it left a very good finish but took a bit of work to break the polish down.

summary - I would go for a DA if only using it on your car and would suggest Meg's polishes.

Would agree if your not used a polisher before a DA be better for you , a Rotary will heat up quick and burn the edges if not careful.

Im a paintsprayer by trade and know how easy it is burn though with a rotary. its knowing the limits

I use the 3M range at work on fresh paint, but like the menzerna for my finishing and detailing on my own car :)

Go for the Kestrel DA Chris, it's just as good as the Megs but a lot cheaper, even retailers say that :)

Been Advised this by Alex at Elite.. and mendernza polishes for my car's paint (Pearl Grey and Magic Black) as VAG paint's generally quite tough (ignoring Tornado Pink! :lol:)

Here's a link he sent me as to a good "Starter" pack...

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_i ... cts_id=530

Hope this helps...

Go for the Kestrel DA Chris, it's just as good as the Megs but a lot cheaper, even retailers say that :)

Been Advised this by Alex at Elite.. and mendernza polishes for my car's paint (Pearl Grey and Magic Black) as VAG paint's generally quite tough (ignoring Tornado Pink! :lol:)

Here's a link he sent me as to a good "Starter" pack...

http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_i ... cts_id=530

Hope this helps...

Alex knows his stuff, i use them 8) Also Tim at cleanyourcar is another good place

love cleanyourcar!! i would choose a dual action to start with, easily get rid of swirls with the right pad and polish without worrying you might go through the paint... easier to control as well!!

i use a mcallister orbital sander which works great on a budget, £35 from b&q, use 6.5" chemical guys hex logic pads which are awesome, and menz polishes as said above 8)

depends on budget really though as you can go on and on...

I know a bargain when it come to paintwork and what to use :grin:

looking for a full respray over here :wave:

I know a bargain when it come to paintwork and what to use :grin:

looking for a full respray over here :wave:

Kevs first , add you to list mate :lol:

we have to have the VRT's looking good :wink:

We sure do , you could do a Kev and crash it and get insurance job :ignore: :lol:

:lol:

my no claims arent protected and running 2 cars is expensive :gag: otherwise i might think about it :lol: