Sign in to follow this  
wormy

wormy's 91 G60

Hello all!

I'm from Norway, and just turned 20. I've had the Corrado for over a year (my first car), and even though I've had to fix alot of things on it, I still love it! :)

It had 219000 km's on the clock when I bought it, the charger was new at 140000km - on a 68mm pulley.. :help: - Luckily it was ok!

Some of the specs:

Autotech stage3 (cam/pulley/chip/isv reroute)

246000km's

Mint black leather and black interior

Mint grey headliner

"Stealth" stereo

Yellow koni dampers

Dropped 40mm (more like 60 now, sagging springs I think..)

After about two months, the heater matrix went... 2liters of coolant on the carpet and isolation.. :gag:

About the same time the waterpump started to leak, so that was fixed along with a new timing belt. Also changed the hyrdaulic lifters as they were a bit noisy. When we pulled them out, we noticed that 3 of them were "defective".. :cuckoo:

Later, the fuel pump decided to give up. And the exhaust fell off in the spring. :censored:

Bought a set of Borbet A's for 250gbp - with tyres. They're painted blue, but gonna refurbish them in the winter..

The charger is a Tec 2RS twinbelt charger. Overhauled it first thing when I got the car, and now - 30000km later, it still pulls 0.95bar from 2000rpm, 1bar from 2500rpm. Decent with a 68mm pulley and RSR outlet, right? :luvlove:

01112008328.jpg

Posting a few pictures of how it is now..

"Stealth" stereo.. New speakers in the old stock locations, and a bit extra bass in the trunk..

02092008140.jpg

It may look like overkill, but it plays very nice. It's connected by 2 large connectors on the back, so it can be removed in 2minutes.. :)

02092008139.jpg

New speakers in the stock locations:

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1121.jpg

Blue Borbets anyone? As I said earlier up, gonna fix them up in the winter..

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00149.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

Who needs ground clearance in a land like Norway..? Speedbumps every 500meters..

12052009237.jpg

ps: Sorry if the post is a mess - I'm not good at making long posts.. :(

The engine I'm building.. Probably something I forgot to add here..

264/278 cam with 11.75/10.99mm lift. No clearence between the camshaft/head, so had to the head had to be attacked with the dremel.. (pictures)

1.9 liter with forged pistons, 9:1 compression. Retaining the oil squirters, so had to machine the pistons for clearance, then have them balanced.

Ported head with larger valves, stronger valve springs. (SLS Tuning "rs2" head)

333cc injectors

Stronger rod/crank bearings

Header with 44.5mm primaries and cat-replacement pipe from G-werks

Windage tray

New oil pump

Lightened flywheel

VR6 clutch

External oil cooler

Solid BBM front mount

Vibratech rear engine mounts

Custom chip

Gonna have the bottom end balanced, then I'll start the assembly.. :)

Also got a few other parts ready for install

-All new polyurethane bushings

-New tie rods with new ends

-New ball joints

-New front strut mount

-New wheel bearings all-round

-New "eye bolts" for the anti roll bar

Also probably gonna buy Black Diamond brake discs/pads..

Pictures:

DSC00316.jpg

DSC02597.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

DSC00313.jpg

The dremel has been used on all the "holes", but still lacks a bit clearance.

DSC02602.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

DSC00312.jpg

Looks good. Quite interested by the twin timing belts on the charger.

Not seen that before. What benefit does it give? Just less likely to snap?

Looks good. Quite interested by the twin timing belts on the charger.

Not seen that before. What benefit does it give? Just less likely to snap?

This was an "experiment" done by Tec afaik around year 2000 or so. The belts were known to snap, so they tried adding two. The theory was that if one snapped, the other would hopefully hold. Also, they share the load, so less wear on them. This is the early "wide belt conversion" I guess..

The bracket for the charger had to be modified a bit for it to fit. Same as for the wide-belt.

The charger got a very "belt-like" sound, and I LOVE it.. Should work nicely on the new engine too.. :norty:

Updated post #2 with the engine I'm building. Hopefully it'll be a fun drive.. :norty:

Awesome, whereabouts in Norway are you from? Anywhere near Bergen?

Around Tønsberg (Vestfold "county/fylke") if that helps.. :-p

Few hours away from Bergen.. :wave:

(if it's the engine you're wondering about, I bought some of the parts from a guy in "Ålesund", after he had some trouble.. Not too far away from Bergen..)

Ah God Moregn. Charger looks interesting. Been speanding a lot of time in Norway over the last year. All in Stavanger though. Only seen two Corrados since Ive been there. Good luck with this, its mental how much cars cost of there. Woman I work with just got a new A5 2.0T and it was £60k!!!!!

Snakis. :)

Awesome, whereabouts in Norway are you from? Anywhere near Bergen?

Around Tønsberg (Vestfold "county/fylke") if that helps.. :-p

Few hours away from Bergen.. :wave:

(if it's the engine you're wondering about, I bought some of the parts from a guy in "Ålesund", after he had some trouble.. Not too far away from Bergen..)

Cool, I love Bergen. My family on my mother's side are from there. :wave: Haven't been over for a few years though.

Ah God Moregn. Charger looks interesting. Been speanding a lot of time in Norway over the last year. All in Stavanger though. Only seen two Corrados since Ive been there. Good luck with this, its mental how much cars cost of there. Woman I work with just got a new A5 2.0T and it was £60k!!!!!

Snakis. :)

Yea, cars aren't cheap over here.. My Corrado cost me 4k when I bought it, and that was considered cheap by the people I know that have been riding in the car.

The charger needed a rebuild, the car was leeking water "everywhere", the exhaust was bad and the front engine mount needed to be replaced. :roll:

Haven't paid too much attention to what a Corrado costs in the UK, but I guess it's a tad cheaper.. :lol:

A Corrado VR6 in decent shape is 8k+ too. Needless to say, the number of "legal" Corrado VR6 in the Norwegian Corrado Club can be counted on one hand.. :cuckoo:

Here's how it was when I bought it:

Untitled-11.jpg

Been doing some work the last few days..

I said in my first post that I thought the springs were sagging.. Now I don't think they are anymore.. Might be "slightly" worn front strut top mounts, and the yellow koni's that's adjusted a bit low on the rear..

:wink:

Will try to get some pictures up when she's out on the road again..

Here's some of the work done:

- Polybushes all-round

- Black Diamond brake discs/pads. Combined version (Looks damn sexy :grin:)

- Eibach anti roll bar for the front/rear has been ordered

- Mk4 rear calipers

- Stainless steel brake lines

- New handbrake cables

- New wheel bearings all-round

- New inner/outer tie-rods

- New Ball-joints

- New front top strut mounts

- FK bumpstops on the rear so I can use the Borbets A's in the summer without rubbing too much. (The old ones were rather worn/old)

- Fitted a new cat-replacement pipe (G-werks). Preparing for the new engine that's (hopefully) going in in the summer.

- Allignment getting done as soon as the car's on the road.

Pretty much changed everything down there, 'xept for the shocks/springs, which seems to be working well.

For the engine I've bought a toothed belt pulley set. The old G-werks one. Yes, I know the allignment of the pulleys are very important, I've been using the search-button.. :wink:

These pictures with the old anti roll bar still installed.. :(

Old tie-rod.. Not supposed to be bent like this.. :cuckoo:

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Few old parts

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

New top mounts

IMG_0190.jpg

Few new parts..

IMG_0167-1.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

Not alot of clearance..

IMG_0184-1.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

Having access to a lifter helps..! :grin:

IMG_0178.jpg

"New" rims for the winter. 15x7 et28

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

Rear dampers with adjustable springseat..

IMG_0155.jpg

Underneath.. The pictures of the control arms makes it look like the whole car is rotting - which it isn't.. :salute:

IMG_0158.jpg

From the front

IMG_0160.jpg

Not alot that's happened lately.. Except that this winter we've had more snow then the last 30 or so winters.. These pictures are about a month old, and we've had quite a bit more snow after these were taken.. I've taken off the front splitter for obvious reasons.. :brickwall:

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

Recieved my ported and flow matched intake from http://www.scientificrabbit.com, flows 20% more then stock and more importantly, flows equal on all runners.

Stock...

img_2277.jpg

During the porting..

img_2278.jpg

Finished...

IMG_02661024x768.jpg

IMG_02681024x768.jpg

Also snatched a picture of the header from G-Werks while at work.. :luvlove:

IMG_0217.jpg

Just like "James." on here, it seems someone at the Karmann factory had fun with a marker pen during assembly of my car. Under the handbrake trim there's some writing. Think it says "Grün Perl", which is the color of the car.. LC6V.. Funny little detail imo :)

GrnPerl.jpg

Been a while since I wrote anything here, but still running the old engine.. Untill recently when it started making some interesting noises.

Bought a brand new OEM complete front bumper, including the iron. :clap:

IMAG0050.jpg

Piston slap anyone? :censored: Videolink below..

th_VIDEO0001.jpg

LOL pretty sure pistons dont usually play such a tune.

Cracking work elsewhere to start getting it back to it former glory.

Dave