Sign in to follow this  
Timbo

Oil(?) smell inside the car

I've got an unexplained odour inside my 94 VR6 at the moment. Like any smell it's difficult to explain, but it's definitely not a brake smell and it's not really a burning smell either, nor does it strike me as being electrical. The closest thing it smells like is gear box oil. I changed the gearbox oil earlier this year, but I'm struggling to understand how gearbox oil would get inside the car, particularly as the engine bay doesn't smell at all. I also changed the exhaust recently, so it could be a leaky connection between the down pipe and the cat, conceivably. It's too dark to get it jacked up and check now, but I'm going to do this tomorrow. Could it be the clutch? I've never smelt a burnt clutch before but as I say it's not a hot brake smell, which I believe is similar?

If it makes any difference it's quite persistent; I first noticed it last weekend and the car has been parked since then, but it's still strong a week later. The other thing I've noticed is that it seems to be stronger nearer the roof than in the foot wells, implying that whatever the gas is it's lighter than air.

Anybody got any bright ideas what it could be? :shrug:

Your PCV valve is cracked and oil is dripping on the exhaust manifold. Possibly.

agreed, sounds like its venting into the engine bay through the crank vent

I had a little look in the dark and it seems dry. I actually replaced the PCV valve last year anyway so it would be quite soon for it to have failed already. Also I ran the engine for a few minutes while I was out there to see if I could see any evidence of drippage onto the manifold/downpipe and I couldn't see any. It was dark though so I'll have a closer look tomorrow. I did notice number 2 HT lead arcing onto the block where it goes into the coil pack though :roll:.

I had a little look in the dark and it seems dry. I actually replaced the PCV valve last year anyway so it would be quite soon for it to have failed already. Also I ran the engine for a few minutes while I was out there to see if I could see any evidence of drippage onto the manifold/downpipe and I couldn't see any. It was dark though so I'll have a closer look tomorrow. I did notice number 2 HT lead arcing onto the block where it goes into the coil pack though :roll:.

it may not be an oil drip, its probably oil vapour

A slight aside - should the pcv 'rattle' if you shake it? Mine doesnt at all, i'm wondering if it has got stuck after i stuck the broken pipe portion on with industrial superglue :? Dont want it to suddenly explode!!

So I worked it out. I keep a can of oil in the boot for emergencies. I probably don't need to explain the rest, besides to say I'm going to be stripping the interior out next weekend and attacking it with a strong shampoo. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Feel free to :lol: at my expense.

So the oily smell was oil eh? Who'd have thought it!! :lol: :lol:

My 5l bottle in the boot is behind the right wheel arch and held in place with a luggage strap

through the rear bulkhead holes that are there and the handle. :wink:

I'm too tight to fork out for a comparitively expensive 1l bottle of oil in the first place :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah litres on their own are expensive compared to a 5L bottle. But what i did is once the litre bottle had run out, i just keep it filled up with a 5L bottle from the garage.

I repeat..

I'm too tight to fork out for a comparitively expensive 1l bottle of oil in the first place :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tight tight tight!!!........just the way we like it!

I repeat..

Tight tight tight!!!........just the way we like it!

Tighter then a ducks ar*se :lol:

Have to say I recently got a 20l bulk order from Opie Oils, and at the mo they're doing 30% off VW spec oil 'til midnight Wednesday! 8) 8)

Could they have thrown a litre bottle in :lol:

Have the garage recheck your car fuel hoses and vapor recovery system with the engine running. Have them pay close attention to the fuel injectors, you may have injectors that are leaking.

mcjohnruther so you didn't read his admission????

So I worked it out. I keep a can of oil in the boot for emergencies. I probably don't need to explain the rest, besides to say I'm going to be stripping the interior out next weekend and attacking it with a strong shampoo. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Feel free to :lol: at my expense.

how about the damper box could have a slight air leak worth checking it out man mine was and i had the same smell....

Howabout it was,

...a can of oil in the boot for emergencies. I probably don't need to explain the rest, besides to say I'm going to be stripping the interior out next weekend and attacking it with a strong shampoo. :censored: :censored: :censored:

Does no-one read all of a thread before replying? :shrug: :scratch: :lol: :lol: :lol: