Sign in to follow this  
Yash

1.8 16v Exhaust manifold removal

Okay guys I am after some help, desperately.

Yesterday I started striping off all the bits from my cylinder head. I managed to get almost everything off except the exhaust manifold. The first six nuts all came off relatively easily, they were six that are in the easy to reach places. The two underneath the 2nd and 3rd outlet are ruined. It looks like someone has previously tried getting the manifold off and has rounded the nuts.

I have tried banging on an 11mm socket but that hasn’t worked because I can’t get enough swing on the hammer. I read yesterday someone trying a nut splitter on it so this morning I went to machine mart to get one but it wont go on, there just isn’t enough room to get it on. I then decided to try and cut it off with a hacksaw but again there isn’t enough room to move the hacksaw. How am I meant to get it off??

I spent about 3 hours yesterday and 2 hours this morning trying to get these two nuts off. What do you guys recommend I do? I’m not fussed about snapping the stud as the head is going to get binned anyway. I have read about separating the manifold from the down pipe but I cannot see how I am going to be able to do this, only 2-3 of the nuts look accessible and I don’t want to start removing more bits, as it is I am going to struggle remembering where all the bits I have taken off already go.

Thanks in advance,

Thanks for the response but unfortunately I don’t have access to a welder, plus it would be pretty tight trying to weld in such a small space

trust me i know its tight, but can be done....

11122009167.jpg[/attachment:v8uu6ks9]

you can heat it and press a candle on it, then grab the nut with a pair of mole grips... search stud extraction on you tube :D

they are basically a right tit to get out. I was taking the head off so, I went under the car undone the exhuast from the nearest point and lifted the head out with the manifold attached then removed the exhuast...this will probably not help unless you want to do a head gasket at the same time 8)

Get a set of Irwin bolt grippers- absolutely amazing things! Can be had for around £20, and will be of use for many years 8)

I have been considering the irwins, I am fairly certain that I will be able to get it on the second nut (in from the right if you are looking at the engine from the front of the car) but I don’t think I will be able to get it on the third nut. There just isn’t or doesn’t appear to be enough room around the manifold, when I first tried to remove it I couldn’t get a ratchet and socket on it, could only access it with a spanner.

I have been considering getting this http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/crt40-40pce-rotary-tool-kit/path/17-mini-multi-purpose-power-tools but again I am not if I will be able to get it in the space to cut the nut off

Had the same problem on one of my old valvers. Couldn't get enough space to use Irwins either.

I used a dremel + 1.5mm drill bit and put a small pilot hole in the side of each of the seized nuts. I then got the standard drill and an 8mm bit. There is just enough room to get the drill up behind the head and using one hand and the pilot hole you put in the nuts as a guide, you can annihilate the two dreaded bolts that way.

Had the same problem on one of my old valvers. Couldn't get enough space to use Irwins either.

I used a dremel + 1.5mm drill bit and put a small pilot hole in the side of each of the seized nuts. I then got the standard drill and an 8mm bit. There is just enough room to get the drill up behind the head and using one hand and the pilot hole you put in the nuts as a guide, you can annihilate the two dreaded bolts that way.

I’m guessing the clarke rotary tool thing is similar to a dremel? I think I am going to get one of those. Why did you switch to a normal drill for the 8mm bit? Is an 8mm bit too big for a dremel?

I think I am going to have to get myself some goggles if I am going to try this. I had enough rust and other crap falling into my eyes earlier, don't fancy getting drill shavings in my eyes.