John-M

Rust prevention on new discs - what to use ?

I'm about to fit new discs in the New Year - and I have in mind trying to do something to 'rust-proof' the areas that dont get swept clean by the pads, particularly the outer rims where they are ventilated.

Any ideas ? I have in mind using Hammerite - anyone used this ?

BTW, will be using standard discs, I have no wish for grooved/drilled ones, which are the only ones I know of that have anti-rust coatings out of the box.

Any other suggestions gladly recieved.

Oh, and a Merry Christmas and a Happy ( and safe ) New Year to all.

I wouldn't put anything on your disks even if you don't intentionally put stuff on the pad swept surface as you could potentially contaminate the pads and affect your braking.

I painted my 280 rears with black hammerite and it's still on there.

I wouldn't paint front discs though, they get too hot for it.

What I've done is wait till the edges start to rust then apply a rust treatment like Kurust or something which converts the rust and turns it black.

Not discounting what others have said, if you want the concours rust prevention method this is what Kip does.

And yes, the disks do come with a thin paint already but it really doesn't last very long.

Mask up the braking surfaces with masking tape and trim with a craft knife.

Spray a few coats of plastikote primer (available from Halfords etc) on the none braking surfaces, INCLUDING through the vents of the front disks.

Spray a few coats of plastikote silver paint as above. Obviously spraying thin coats and leaving to dry well and fully harden between the coats. Kip spent 2 weeks doing this in stages.

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC03546.JPG[/attachment:9ig6n9bn]Corrado92.pdfDSC00527.JPG[/attachment:9ig6n9bn]

Remove the masking and fit brakes.

Once fitted take extra care when removing and refitting wheels as any need to 'spin' the wheel to line up for wheel bolts will damage the paint and, in my case, will cause a major telling off.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC03801.JPG[/attachment:9ig6n9bn]DSC03812.JPG[/attachment:9ig6n9bn] 2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC03751.JPG[/attachment:9ig6n9bn] climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC03584.JPG[/attachment:9ig6n9bn]

Sorry for the pic overload but we do like our brakes :luvlove: :cuckoo:

I`ve seen the disc on Kip`s car and they do look the T?T`S

ANd will be trying this next time I need some new discs

them brakes look fresh out the factory, i like the look ,nie work kip.! :D

Always happy to recieve a compliment sir :notworthy: I got the idea from seeing a new audi in my local dealers and they were obviously painted from the factory then i thought Hmmm Must do that to mine 8)

After a bit of reserching i decided to use plastikote as it would give the desired smooth almost metalic finish but is also heat resistant so gave it a try and it has been superb if i'm honest, even when they are hot the paint isn't soft or anything (tried this by poking it screw driver :lol: )

yeh impressive that looks really well, will definitely try this :salute:

Kip spent 2 weeks doing this in stages.

He needs to get out more then :lol:

Only kidding, the results look superb! Would prefer a nice glossy black myself as it disguises brake dust quite nicely, but that does look really good :salute:

What Plasticote was it? High temp laquer?

The plastikote that tolerates high temperatures... not sure how high but obviously high enough and also not sure if there are other non high temp plastikotes!!

But as I'm sure you know it does come in a large range of colours so could be done in black though maybe not a glossy black. But again, with the good coat of paint brake dust doesn't hang around. We certainly don't clean brake dust from the rear centre 'hub' bit or from betwen the vents when preping for a show to clean back to silver/grey.

No laquer used. Just paint.

And I know it was a joke :lol: but he didn't spend 2 weeks solid doing the painting.... just a few mins every few days between getting out :D

Thanks for all the input :)

I do like the look of Kip's discs - I'll be giving that a try. I'm having the calipers/carriers sand-blasted so may also give them a similar treatment.

Supercharged: I omitted to mention that I'll be converting to 288mm brakes, but my owm VR discs never seemed to resist rusting at all well. I never could understand why, with modern manufacturing tolerance capabilities, the pads weren't made to sweep right to the edge of the disc, rather than a few mm less, leading to the rust-rim on the outer edge. The 288 discs/pads I have ( old ones that came with the calipers/carriers ) do seem to sweep much nearer the outer edge, tho :)

On the question of discs - I want plain, not drilled/grooved. So, OEM or Brembo ? Or other suggestions ? Pads will be Ferodo DS2500.

Thanks for all the input :)

Supercharged: I omitted to mention that I'll be converting to 288mm brakes, but my owm VR discs never seemed to resist rusting at all well. I never could understand why, with modern manufacturing tolerance capabilities, the pads weren't made to sweep right to the edge of the disc, rather than a few mm less, leading to the rust-rim on the outer edge. The 288 discs/pads I have ( old ones that came with the calipers/carriers ) do seem to sweep much nearer the outer edge, tho :)

On the question of discs - I want plain, not drilled/grooved. So, OEM or Brembo ? Or other suggestions ? Pads will be Ferodo DS2500.

Yeah, must admit I wondered the same too - the 312's I'm running are much closer too as you say...

I'd keep them OEM VW mate - Go and see Neil at Ipswich Audi for a good deal!

I've always had oem discs, so was inclined to stay with them - but just wondered if there were any other particular recommendations.