fla

Heater Only Working On 4? Try This...

I'm also only getting the fan on 4. Does anybody know where the thermal fuse is on a VR6 with aircon? I've checked the copper contacts behind the speed dial and they seem fine. The heater blower is from a Mk3 Golf (as I discovered when I had to replace it recently).

Newbie over here,

I would like to give this a try as i have just posted a thread about this and saw this after! Dumb me!

I cant see any of the pictures that have been attached, can anyone update them so i can attempt to do it?

Thanks

Yeah this is common failing and most annoying problem on these switches, its a rather poor design really. I've retro fitted an early unit before which don't have this issue on one of my previously owned later rado's a real nasty job and would not recommend this. Another option you can do however it is still a little labour intensive but not beyond the scope of an enthusiast - is to purchase a brand new speed only switch from an early Corrado shared with that from a golf mk2 / Porsche 924 etc and splice this into the loom deleting the old crappy copper contact one with the carbon track, then modify the back of the original switch to fit on using a bonding agent then cleverly using a small grub screw hidden on the side tapped on to the early switch using a small piece of brass rod and a small plate to help secure it to the later surround plate/bracket for the switching. You can also even use a block spade connector to plug onto the original part of the dash loom to leave a nice tidy job. This is slightly faffy but does permanently sort the problem, often as stated previously you can fall lucky and just require a new thermal fuse easy purchased for penny's from 'maplins' if going down this route however ensure you get a good connection on the contacts when soldering and don't get it to hot and blow the resister pack in the process. Sometimes just a good clean and tweaking does sort the contacts though on the original speed control, it just depends how much it's previously been buggered about with. I believe old stock units may still be available new from classic vw for a handsome sum but may well be for the left hand drive cars only. I need to post the pictures of this mod sometime a much cheaper and permanent solution. Hope this helps a bit, they are dam poor design really on an otherwise decent engineered dash.