Sign in to follow this  
muppetlab

Inevitable ABS Failure

Okay, ever since i bought my vr and reconnected the ABS Light its been on. (last owner was a lying :censored: ) The pedal will kick when starting and the light will flicker but stay on. Whilst working on the front suspension i ran a meter across the sensors at the wheel end and one front would not produce any resistance reading so replaced that but light is still on. However yesterday after sitting in freezing weather and traffic for an hour the ABS light went off. :clap: The joy was imense although short lived as the first time i braked the abs kicked in then it went off and the light was back. Stopped and restarted, light went off, :clap: braked Abs kicked in and light back on permenantly. Doh.

Questions. I know my abs does not work when the light is on as found a snowy car park and tested. So can some one tell me:

1) if i run a continuity test down a sensor wire should it give a reading or not?

2) as the pedal kicks i assume the pump is okay?

3) can a simple multimeter resistance reading diagnose faulty sensor?

4) why would the light go off then first time brakes are applied kick in and then show light on?

5) would a loose rear brake backing plate affect the rear sensor or abs ring?

6) would air in the pump give these symptoms?

Thanks for any help, or links to threads that might, i have done searches but cant find the specific info i need apart from people saying run vag com on it. The MOT is looming and i cant afford to be without wheels. cheers jez

Id pop the rear seat bottoms out, disconnect the sensor wires on each side, and check the resistance. Just like you did on the front. It sounds like a sensor is still faulty to me.

ps:I hate the abs on the corrado! Would love to get shot of it!

Neil.

Just need to fine someone near me now then as my fault reader wont communicate with the abs ecu for some reason. Can you read abs ecu on obd1?

Thanks for all the help. have done a search and cant find much about this (heat issue) so please bear with me.

I have noticed on two occasions when sat in traffic jams for about half hour the abs has worked, ie light gone off. both times the engine has got hot and fans kicked in on the vr so i assume plenty of heat soak under the bonnet also had the fans on hot blowing inside with windows open to try to get rid of a bit more heat from the engine so pretty darn toasty inside too. Just wondering why when its hot the light went off as this would indicate not a sensor to me?? Am going to test all sensors this weekend and then try to track down a member with vagcom nearby, just wondered if anyone has any ideas before that. Air in pump getting expanded by all the heat? cheers jez