Sign in to follow this  
drunkenmunkey

Corrado VR6 or.....Lotus Elan M100???? Opinions?

After 2 years of driving a modern box I'm looking for another VR6 or 20vt conversion BUT.......I'm also tempted by an Elan, does anybody have experiences of these cars???

Thanks!

I have no idea what a decent turbo'd Elan (M100) would be like, however despite owning a mint VR6, I'd love to own a nice, decent Elan. Although with Mk1 Elise prices being what they are, surely a decent Elan costs about as much as an Elise, which would be a better car than either!

A guy I work with has one and took me out in it.

It was ok, reasonably quick but very agile through corners. The interior of this one was pretty poor and rattled loads.

Not sure I could live with it everyday as it was a awkward to get in/out of, but as a weekend weapon it would be a lot of fun.

Are you a gayer though?

Strangely not.. Even though I like the Elan... Hard to believe I know....

Even have 6 kids so I'm not impotent and/or firing blanks... And I STILL like the Elan....very odd!

Oh... forgot to add to earlier post.... Stop being a gayer (thx for the term Walesey) and get the VR6...

Some points to consider:

Lotus is pretty but so is the VR6 and I would suggest the VR6 is ageing better than the Lotus

Lotus is good in corners but so is the VR6....

lotus is quick but so is VR6

The VR6 is even suitable for male drivers....

I heard the original series Elan was OK on a track but tended to surprise people with unusual handling traits ont' road. Had Ford mechanicals, rudimentary fuelling etc

IIRC the second series Elan had Renault mechanicals, presumably with modern engine management.

All M100s had Isuzu 1.6 litre engines. both n/a and turbocharged and were virtually unbreakable. Suspension was totally bespoke and changed very little between Series 1 and 2 models, all were regarded as outstanding in terms of handling but also boring due to them being so foolproof.

Purists dismissed the M100 because of it being FWD but I reckon a decent M100 is a surefire future classic and will have reasonable running costs

All M100s had Isuzu 1.6 litre engines. both n/a and turbocharged and were virtually unbreakable. Suspension was totally bespoke and changed very little between Series 1 and 2 models, all were regarded as outstanding in terms of handling but also boring due to them being so foolproof.

Purists dismissed the M100 because of it being FWD but I reckon a decent M100 is a surefire future classic and will have reasonable running costs

Was I thinking of the Europa then?

I bow to your superior knowledge :notworthy:

For those of wavering sexuality who need to drive heavy "manly cars" to remind them that looking at that guys biceps is not OK...look away now :D

For those with wives, kids etc and therefore, secure, here's my experience of driving one...... So, took a 1994 s2 out for a spin, it had a "Mountain" chip which puts it just north of 200bhp. It's an Isuzu engine and toyota running gear so ultra reliable, looks lovely in the flesh, but the wheels don't fill the arches enough for me, anyway, boring engine note but so quick and light, handling is, I'm sorry to say, in a different league to the C [but it's a different animal], it's an over used analogy but it really is like a go kart with perfectly weighted PAS. The boot is waaaay bigger than an Elise and not far off the C under the parcel shelf...and it has drop top [didn't try it, a tad cold :)]. Interior was much larger and more plush than an Elise and better built than a C, but you still get the faint whiff of Fiber Glass resin :)

I know that a Corrado forum is the wrong place to say this but all in all, a brilliant car, quiet, cheap, reliable, rust free....may well buy one!