4eyes2wheels

Flash Red 1993 VR6 - Sold on to the next owner

Not much else to say really, very standard, pretty clean. 73k miles, no rust, alarm / immobiliser, ok CD player, Aero wipers, Speedlines . . . .

Edited by 4eyes2wheels

Looks very smart - you're not finishing here tho are ya :wink: No pressure!

Not entirely sure about the colour coded grill but I can't talk as I have 3 different grills :cuckoo:

Not entirely sure about the colour coded grill

Haven't made my mind up yet so I'll hang on to the standard one for a while.

Wheels do look good on these but you do realise they are the wrong sized tyres on them?

They do take up more of the wheel arch than I was expecting, the ride is certainly higher over the traffic calming measures. I also note that the speedo indicates a lower speed that the sat nav by a couple of miles per hour at higher speeds. What size should be on them? They are Pirelli P6000 205/55 R16 . . .

looking good mate looks in nice condition n how many miles!! must run as sweeeet as :)

73500 miles now, running well now the rubbish leads and failed camshaft sensor were replaced at DG on Friday. BUT gear box bearing making nasty noises in first.

Looks a nice car, but preferred it stock (with a drop)

Was expecting the suspension to be knackered and give me the justification to replace it but it seems in very good nick for the year. I'm told the later VRs run higher giving that 4x4 look.

That's it for cosmetic changes - gearbox, chains and clutch next plus various bushes, joints and top mounts. Damn, there's no hope for me now!

15s run 205/50 so on a 16 i'd expect 205/45 or lower still, speedo will be out

Stock Tire - 205/50R15 >Search Tires Tire 1 - 205/55R16 >Search Tires Tire 2 - 205/45R16 >Search Tires

Section Width: 8.07 in 205 mm

Rim Diameter: 15 in 381 mm

Rim Diameter: 16 in 406.4 mm

Rim Diameter: 16 in 406.4 mm

Rim Width Range: 5.5 - 7.5 in

Rim Width Range: 5.5 - 7.5 in

Rim Width Range: 6.5 - 7.5 in

Overall Diameter: 23.07 in 585.97 mm

Overall Diameter: 24.87 in 631.69 mm

Overall Diameter: 23.26 in 590.80 mm

Sidewall Height: 4.03 in 102.36 mm

Sidewall Height: 4.43 in 112.52 mm

Sidewall Height: 3.63 in 92.202 mm

Radius: 11.53 in 292.86 mm

Radius: 12.43 in 315.72 mm

Radius: 11.63 in 295.40 mm

Circumference: 72.47 in 1840.7 mm

Circumference: 78.13 in 1984.5 mm

Circumference: 73.07 in 1855.9 mm

Revs per Mile: 901.6

Revs per Mile: 836.3

Revs per Mile: 894.2

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h

Speedometer1: 55.6 mph 92.7 km/h

Speedometer1: 59.5 mph 99.1 km/h

Speedometer Difference: - Speedometer Difference: 7.808% too slow Speedometer Difference: 0.827% too slow

Diameter Difference: - Diameter Difference: 7.24% Diameter Difference: 0.82

Soooooo, the tyres are OK for the wheels they are on BUT result in a higher rolling radius than intend for the Corrado. If the only consequences are the speedo misread and a slightly higher ride I can live with that.

8% out speedo will be out as will performance, should change tyres or stick with Speedlines, mofifications should ideally suit a car and offer improvements not compromised performance

Hmmm - thanks for the input chaps. Don't really want to change the tyres on the 16s as I'll end up with some P6000s to sell to the Golf community and end up losing more cash and the Speedlines will lose me cash too . . . . grrrrrr damn my impulsive ill informed automotive purchases!!

Perhaps the speedlines need to go back on and move the 16s on again . . . .

The month of May saw some open wallet surgery - basically In the 8 months of VR6 ownership I have effectively bought the car again :shock: but that's the joy of Corrado ownership.

The make over was performed by the splendid chaps at DG Autotech and comprised

Replacement of all the plastic water housings and transfer pipes, flywheel, timing chains and guides, all the chains tensioners, rocker cover gasket, inlet manifold gaskets etc etc and while we're in there we might as well change the clutch.stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC04067.jpg[/attachment:21wswve8]ETKA Corrado.pdfDSC04069.jpg[/attachment:21wswve8]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC04072.jpg[/attachment:21wswve8]Corrado92.pdfDSC04074.jpg[/attachment:21wswve8]

The main reason for doing all this work was the fact that the gear box was making a nasty noise when in first gear so the box was removed and stripped and this was found to be the culpritpassat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC04096.jpg[/attachment:21wswve8]

Reverse idler gear selector spring was broken and allowing the gear to 'rattle' against the main shaft gear. Heaven only knows what damage was being done but the guys next door to DG are gearbox gurus and were able to sort it by replacing the gearset and bearings - effectively a rebuilt gearbox then.climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC04097.jpg[/attachment:21wswve8]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC04098.jpg[/attachment:21wswve8]

Then there was a brake upgrade. Got some Mk3 Golf brake calipers from eBaycalipers.jpg[/attachment:21wswve8] which scrubbed up well and were matched up with EBC pads, VW OE 288 discs, DG 288 stainless steel brake conversion lines. These have improved the braking no end and just squeeze under the 15 inch Speedlines.

Some top mounts and bearings and rear axle bushes, re-sealing some areas underneath and an engine flush and top end treatment . . . . . .

Looks almost identical from the outside (apart from the bigger brakes) but the driving experience is much, much better.

Thanks to Dave and Graham.

Some major pain there but you can't put a price on peace of mind. Were the chain guides very worn?

Guides were not too bad, striations (a word from my O-Level Geography days!) were clearly visible. Dave said "various cracks in top tensioner and guide but pad not too worn" it was one of those cases where once the gearbox came out I had invested over £200 in labour to that point so "might as well" get everything else sorted while we are there.

Intention is to keep the car for a few years so for peace of mind and reliability sake it was worth it (I keep telling myself that!).

Started early.

Good wash and towel dry.

Clay bar the roof and the bonnet.

Meguiars 3 Step system

Paint cleaner

Polish

Wax

Took a long time but it's nice and shiny now.

Time for roast dinner, beer and Brazil v Cote D'Ivoire.

Looking good there jon, all you need is a set of minty mint speedlines to go !! 8)

Let me know when you want to drop them off Stu - really keen to get them on!

Weekend of making things shiny.

Newly refurbed Speedlines and new Toyos

New rear VW and VR6 badges

All red rears

(All above from Digger B who also insisted on fitting everything - top bloke. If ever he sells his Black VR6 I'll be first in the queue and selling a kidney)

Replaced bulbs for left side reversing and fog lights. Replaced clutch and brake pedal rubbers.

Washed it

Dried it

Attacked it with 3M Finesse It (thanks for introducing me to this Digger)

Meguiars Polish

Meguiars Wax

Auto Glym Glass Cleaner inside and out

Had a go at the exhaust pipe with Autosol

Brimmed it with £65 worth of Tesco Momentum 99

Looks much better than it did yesterday morning.

I heartily recommend Autoglym product for Flash Red paint. Super resin polish, followed by Extra Gloss Protection and then a coat of their HD Wax does a cracking job, takes any oxidisation out of the paint and keeps it glossy for weeks and weeks :)

Doesn't look too bad in the pics though I must say :)

Cheers Jim, the Megs stuff is OK but when it's gone I'll be looking at Auto Glym or maybe Dodo Juice Orange Crush . . .front view.jpg[/attachment:uw4hctu6]