Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Wing mirror heater not working

My drivers side wing hirror heatter isnt working.

The other side works propperly when I turn the rear demister on but the drivers side dosnt.

What is the most likely reason for this? and how can i fix it?

Thanks in advance

have you checked that the glass is a heated element?

my passenger side doesn't work but thats because it was replaced by a previous owner for a none heated mirror. also if you can get the mirror glass off, there are 2 contacts which seem to get quite badly corroded. With the demist switch off, the voltage across should read 0v, with swicth on around the 10-12v mark.

The glass is available from the dealer, the heating element is built into it. Its a straightforward swap.

From memory the glass wasnt the cheapest..

The heated ones are pricey, just replaced one on the Golf and it was £45 :shock: I suspect the Corrado ones are even dearer.

Replaced one on my previous Storm a few years back.

Think it was £26 but heaven only knows what they might be now.

have you checked that the glass is a heated element?

my passenger side doesn't work but thats because it was replaced by a previous owner for a none heated mirror. also if you can get the mirror glass off, there are 2 contacts which seem to get quite badly corroded. With the demist switch off, the voltage across should read 0v, with swicth on around the 10-12v mark.

It has worked, but in over the last couple of days it has stopped working.

I will try and get it off this weekend and have a nosy around with a volt meter

the heated mirrors are 50 something plus vat, i bough one last year, i have a spare mirror , in my garage, heating element should be fine, let me know if you want it, :D

the heated mirrors are 50 something plus vat, i bough one last year, i have a spare mirror , in my garage, heating element should be fine, let me know if you want it, :D

Ok cheers budy.

Will be in contact if i do :salute:

If you do get one from the dealers can you let us all know what the price(s) were? I'd like to change mine to smarten them up a bit.

I'd just get one from the dealer, save having this issue again sooner rather than later...

On this subject, is there an easy way to remove the old mirror glass? I've one to do but can't workout how to get the old one off, short of putting a finely calibrated hammer through it.

I tested the mirror and the currect was flowing fine through both sets of conecters :confused4:

I went to VW today any way just get the price of a new mirror which will cost ( wait for it )

£54.79 :nuts: :cuckoo:

Part No. 536857522A

On this subject, is there an easy way to remove the old mirror glass? I've one to do but can't workout how to get the old one off, short of putting a finely calibrated hammer through it.

It's not all that easy but push the glass as far up or down or left / right as you can get then slide something long firm and slim e.g. a ruler under the glass. Use that to try and prise off the glass from the four plastic clips that hold it in place. If trying from the top doesn't work, try from the bottom etc until you find the best direction of attack!

If you have a new glass to fit looking at the back of that will show you what the clips are like and where they are but in this weather I'd be surprised if you are able to get the plastic clips off without breaking them as they are bound to be very brittle in the cold.