Sign in to follow this  
mr_lauraj

Rear Beam Changing (1.8 16v)

Hello All,

After LauraJ discovered today that her rear beam is bent, it falls to me to get it changed! I've had a fairly comprehensive search on here, and It doesn't look like to much of a big job (love basic german linked suspension!) However I've got a few questions still!

1) What other rear beams are changeable? Laura's car is an early 1990 1.8 16v, It's got no ABS, and I'm under the impression a Golf gti beam will fit too, but will anything else of the same generation (Jetta, Passat etc)

2) It'll be heading for a full alignment again when it's done, however the place doesn't think there's any adjustment on the rear at all. I'm under the impression rear geometry was setup from the factory, by setting the brackets that hold the rear beam on, If I whip the rear beam off, and leave these alone, should it be a case of just fitting the new beam?

3) Going to pick up a seconhand beam and shotblast then rebush it with standard VW bushes, anyone got a cheap dealership to get these from, seeing as Leamington seems like a waste of time.

4) Is there anything else I need to consider ordering before I undertake the job? New bolts etc?

Apologies for all the questions, It's Laura's car and I obiously want to minimise the time it's off the road and make sure I do a decent job :thumbs:

Cheers

Ross

Hi Ross,

I can't answer 1).... but...

2) The garage is right - there is no rear alignment. Just reassemble it as you say :)

3) Definitely go to Listers VW in Coventry just off the ring road. Good bunch of lads in there and if you get Ian, he's more than happy for you to go in with laundry lists of nuts and washers... they always get orders through really quickly too!

4) Just get new nuts and bolts for everything you remove, just to be sure, from VW. Doesn't add up to a lot and they're all still available. Your mileage may vary disconnecting / moving the old hardlines for the brakes. I think both of mine at the rear split and we had to fabricate some new lines out of copper :(

With regards to point 4, my experience was as Jim's. Also had to renew the brake lines (hard & flexis) as the were so corroded i could not get them undone. If you end up wanting or needing to to re-new the hard lines that run to the brake compenstaor they can be difficult to get off from it to. might be worthwhile doing the rear brakes, back plates etc if you are swapping them around, guess just depends of how far you want to go. Oh and get a hand i removed and replaced mine on my own, using the trolley jack to get it in back into place.... it was a real PITA !

Finally getting on with this job, and getting the rear beam refurbished, just wondering if I need to order anything else from VW before I finalise my first order of many!

2 x Axle Mounting Bushes

2 x Anti Roll Bar Bushes

2 x Securing nuts + Bolts for mounting rear beam.

Some brake pipe mounting clips and handbrake mounting clips.

Ta!

the beam brackets do have enough slop so that they can be losened and tweaked to alter the alignment

doubt many places would want to do it , but its possible

If you don't touch the actual brackets that bolt to the car then you shouldn't need alignment as long as the thrust angle is in spec now.

Main issue is the brakes, you might want to think about a new compensator / bracket and all new lines, new bolts for everything and new brake shields.

The Project totally stalled as I just didnt have enough time to tackle it, despite getting half way through and taking Laura's car off the road!

Anyway back on it now, I've removed the old bushes from the rear beam thats being refurbed, any tips on getting the new ones in place? I was going to just hit them in with a club hammer, but I fear that maybe a little brutal!

In the process of removing the old rear beam, I've discovered whoever replaced the hard lines back in 2007 with copper ones did so with whatever random assortment of fittings were available, some metric, some imperial. I'm trying to get the short flexi line unions undone that go from the hardlines on the rear beam to the chassis, but struggling with access. I'd ideally not have to replace these for now, is acess easier if I undo the shock's and let the rear beam lower itself?

Finally Don't suppose anyone fancy's giving me a hand to get the job completed in exchange for much beer tokens / food / general karma? Laura's patience is starting to run out, and given I've disabled the car by getting it up on axle stands for the last 8 weeks I'd like to get it done.

Cheers :D

Ross

VAG have a specific tool a 3111, if you run the beam down to them they should be able to push the bushes in for you. Note that the new bushes need to be orientated in the correct direction (see picture) and the book states that 8mm of metal must protrude from the other side.

When fitted the rear beam to the car the procedure is to remove both rear brackets and fit them to the beam, reposition the beam and refit both brackets loosely, then align the right hand bracket bolts to the centre of the elongated holes and tighten. For the left hand bracket you need to insert a pry-bar on the outer edge of the bracket between the end of the bush and the inner edge of the bracket, then lever the assembly inwards so that there is only a slight gap between the inner face of the bush and the inner face of the bracket (2mm IIRC) tighten the bolts for the left hand bracket in this position.

That's what you should be doing, the rear beam bushes need to be laterally loaded so they work properly...

did you find out if any other rear axles are the same as the 16v 89 one? would you know if g60 or vr are the same?

That doesnt make any sense why would you have to be so precise with your bush to beam fitting if your just going to take the mounting brackets off anyway ?

Makes more sense getting the bush to beam fitting right so you dont have to take the mounting brackets off?