Sign in to follow this  
Eug

Kenwood 7 x 10's in the parcel shelf ?

Anyone fitted either 6 x 9's or 7 x 10's in the standard parcel shelf :?:

Can they take the weight :?:

Or is it better to fit a piece of MDF thereby retaining the original structure of the parcel shelf for eg future selling purposes :?:

i've got some magnat classic 6x9's on my original shelf and they're just about as heavy as 6x9's get! (possibly) the shelf can definaly take the weight, its pretty solid so no real worries, only thing i'd be concerned about is the shelf-straps, but mine have been fine, they seem fairly tough and are cheap to replace.

Obviously having big holes in your shelf is going to effect things when you sell, and 2nd hand shelves are rare so MDF might be the way to go. I just chopped holes in the original to save myself the effort. I'll deal with the holes when i eventually sell!

i'd go the MDF way too mate...

The shelf is very stiff, so 6x9's shouldn't be a problem depending on the magnet...but 7x10's may be a bit heavier...after a long while the shelf may start to warp or sag a bit between the speakers.

Just make your own stealth shelf with straps inc. and it should take you just a few hours depending how good you want it.

Also, you have to think whether you want them hidden or on show.

Thanks guys.

I made my own stealth shelf from MDF (for my Mazda MX-3) and bought carpet from sound shop and mounted

them from underneath so you can't see sh!t from the outside :twisted:

So I'll just cut that one down to size then.

By the way, looked at the tweeters on the dash and they say Nokia on them ?!

Could it be from a car-kit or something ?

Nope, Nokia also make speakers... In fact, when the Corrado was launched, that was pretty much their core business! :shock: :lol:

just out of curiousity....seein as though Eug has made his mind up as to what to do.

What have you guys replaced your standard dash speakers with??

I hear Alpine make a 1" version for the centre speaker...and the sizes of the other two are 4" i heard...but how deep?

i've got a set of Pioneer TS-E1075 10cm speakers in my dash, but i've not replaced the center one (dont think it even works!) as for the depth of the ones either side, try taking your old ones out...theres loads of space! got to be enough room for even the biggest magnet on a 4"

the Pioneers are cracking, and not bad value at £60, screwing them in was a pain because the windscreen gets in the way!

What have you guys replaced your standard dash speakers with??

I fitted a set of JBL component speakers, standard size door speakers with a 1 inch tweeter in the dash location with the crossover hidden under the tweets... 8)

Sounds a shed load better! :wink: :lol:

Nope, Nokia also make speakers... In fact, when the Corrado was launched, that was pretty much their core business! :shock: :lol:

Yeah Nokia (Finland) are a huge electronics company in their own right, but most poeple only know them for their Mobile phones, or Firewall hardware if you're an IT technician.

Yeah Nokia (Finland) are a huge electronics company in their own right, but most poeple only know them for their Mobile phones, or Firewall hardware if you're an IT technician.

And don't forget about the telly's they make too