Sign in to follow this  
dan

17's & 45mm Profile

This is to anyone running on 17" wheels.

I have a set of 17's (35mm ET) fitted to my VR6 with 40mm profile tyres. My personal opinion is that the ride is a bit hard, not to mention the fact that I've already had to replace a bent rim. :x When I got the wheels originally, the tyre bloke told me that a 45 profile would not fit. I didn't argue with him at the time but, now I'd like a second opinion. I also have koni coilovers fitted since then but, don't mind raising the ride a little if thats all it takes...

Basicially is there anyone running 17's on a 45mm profile, if so what width are your tyres i.e. 195, 205 or 215.

As I will be getting 4 new tyres shortly, you're 2p's worth will be greatly appreciated... :D

well mate i have 205/40 they are a bit hard and i have standard suspension. it may also be my tyre make which are yokohama's which are supposedly hard tyres. i shall be getting toyo or avon next from http://www.topgear.co.uk as there cheap as well.

I have to dissagree Longman in my experience yoko's are too soft which is why they are so good in the wet but not so brilliant in the dry I have avon zz3's at the moment on 17's running 205/40/17's but find the tyres catch the plastic inserts on the back and front of the wheel arches and also catch the back of the wheelarch on full lock but that I put down to it being lowered by 80mm so the wheel sits alot closer to the wheel arch inside. If you're going to run 17's with a profile of 45 I think your best bet would be to go for 205/45/17's and lower the car no more than 40mm but as you've got coilovers that shouldn't be a problem, I think one thing you will find is that 205/45/17's will be quite a bit dearer to buy than 40 profile tyres as they aren't that common so I think it's a case of weighing up the pro's and cons really, is it worth gaining a slight improvement in comfortness and spending another £30-£50 a corner, or leave it how it is and live with a harsher ride!! Thats my 2p's worth anyway

Cheers guys,

Maybe I'm being too harsh on the 40's, I blame them for the poor ride quality and for bending my rim. :) The thing is, I don't know if the extra 5mm in the profile would make any difference to either of these problems?

Yeah I have to agree, I dont think changing the profile by 5mm is going to make much difference to be honest. Are your coilovers damper adjustable? if you soften the damper rate that will make things more comfortable!!!