Sign in to follow this  
G-Lad

KR been in storage for 6mths - won't start

Excuse me for being totally lame, but I could do with some basic advice please! :nuts: :camp:

Can someone give me a hitlist of things to try, to get my valver started?

Was running fine, just not been turned over for 6mths. Battery was disconnected ok, and when hooked up to the VR6 this morning it happily pulls juice but won't spark. I have taken the dizzy off, given it a wipe and scrapped the electrodes and rotor edge with a key to ensure a spark. I can clearly hear the starter solenoid clicking in and out, and the engine turns, but it's all very laboured and never catches.

It's previously stood for up to 2mths and always restarted, and usually under its own steam, but 6mths seems to have beaten it into submission :(

What's next on my list of things to check / clean / replace?

I suspect I need to get the plugs out, but don't have the right size long socket. I could pull 3 of the 4 HT leads off the spark plugs, but third from from the left wouldn't budget.

all advice gratefully received! :salute:

Chris

PS: it's a mk2 Golf, but assume the same as a C for the purposes of this issue...

Fully charge the battery rather than jumping it. Or put a known good one on.

If a battery's died, jump starts don't allways work.

Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on, and does it niff of fuel after trying to start it for a minute or two?

Battery charger purchased! I shall juice it up and try again in the week, while checking for fuel pump noise - cheers!

Anyone got any top tips for getting out a stuck plug-end HT lead?

The plastic clip-on lead-pullers are Ok for 3 plugs, but 1 of them simply won't budge - is there a proper metal tool i can get easily? :(

Bit o force mate, unlike vr ht leads valver ones are pretty strong and easier to get a good pull on

Finally got around to charging the battery and after a long wait, I hooked it up to the Golf last week. long story shory: Lots flashy dash lights and a mad looking rev counter. mild panic... gave up, wondering if Golf is now possessed!

After a long drive this Sunday I whipped the battery out of the C and stuck it in the Golf. Turned the key and hey presto - started first time.

Promptly tried the strangely behaved Bosch silver from the Golf into the C that worked too. Very odd indeed!

Summary: I have 2 working cars and only needed a £20 battery charger to get me there!

...lesson learnt: don't let your battery run flat. Keep it trickle charged! :camp:

Lets see if the revived Bosch keeps its charge in the C, with weekly use :)