Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

****ing gritters

:bad-words: :censored:

I was driving along this morning cam around a corn to see a gritter lorry coming towards me.

So I slowed down and got as close to the curb as I possibly could, as it got closer I could see it was chuck one hell of allot of grit out next thing I now, grit is being chucked al over my car. Over the bonnet, onto the windscreen all down one side.

Now I've got a lovely set of paint chips all down one side.

Oh and as I turn onto another road 5 minutes later guess what is coming the other way? A :censored: gritter, and guess what happened, the same thing all over the car :censored:

And to really rub salt into my wounds ( no pun intended) I quickly park up at a little shop to get some tea, came out of the shop to see another gritting giving the other side of my car a good sand blast

:censored: :bad-words: :mad2:

I feel for you mate, i've been subjected to this too, normally when i see one coming i pull over where possible. But i have been caught on a road where there was no where to go. :(

Nothing really you can do about it :?

my uncle who works on the gritters done the same thing to a brand new bmw only don 12 miles and he got taken too court :clap: lol

Sorry to hear your cars got a few marks on it, but I'm sure you'd be more p!issed off if the road hadn't been gritted and you'd skidded and crashed on some untreaded ice.

write to the council buddy and see what they say, worth a shot, my old mans car got plastered and they paid in full for its to be sorted? then leaving the garage he smashed into a pot hole and they paid in full again for the wheel and shock!

You might get lucky, he did!

To be fair to the gritter drivers they have had a hell of a time the last month and have done a good job with the very limited resources they have. I am not too sure (no doubt Toady will correct me) but I think they are suppost to switch it off for passing cars..

I was following one home from work the other night (not in my C thankfully), the amount of different size bits of crud that were flying out was unreal, no wonder there is some damage going on.

sorry to here that mate must have been gutting

i know with out gritters the uk would come to a stop and for that they do do one hell of a job thanks guys, but why the hell carnt the spreader be closer to the floor it doesnt need to be that high or just change the spreader all together so grit doesnt get thrown up all over every1s cars and vans, but that aint guna happen

so the only thing you can hope for is you go past when the spreader is swinging back the other direction to do the other side of the road, but that never happens haha

That's bad luck having it 3 times D:

Granted they do a good job (Not in every case though, I still crashed and incurred a cost of £500 to replace the front end and airbags of my golf ;D)

But you pay the tax, you pay for them to do this, so you shouldn't have them blasting the fook out of your car, and they should sort it!

Perhaps I am just naive ;D But that's the way I logically see it!

Also not quite on topic; but they're promoting all these uber-eco cars that are tax exempt, then who will pay for the roads?! Surely the money has to come out of our pockets somewhere, or they just raise the tax for the rest of us...

Sorry to hear your cars got a few marks on it, but I'm sure you'd be more p!issed off if the road hadn't been gritted and you'd skidded and crashed on some untreaded ice.

Exactly.

I am not too sure (no doubt Toady will correct me) but I think they are suppost to switch it off for passing cars..

I don't think they are. Otherwise you'd end up with patches of ice on a road, and they would be buggered if they came across a line of traffic.

why the hell carnt the spreader be closer to the floor it doesnt need to be that high or just change the spreader all together so grit doesnt get thrown up all over every1s cars and vans, but that aint guna happen

You need the spinner plate up fairly high to ensure that the salt is thrown to the far side of the opposite carriageway, and you get an even covering across the road. There isn't another way of doing it I'm afraid.

But you pay the tax, you pay for them to do this, so you shouldn't have them blasting the fook out of your car, and they should sort it!

Realistically, how can they change it? You have a small window of opportunity to spread salt. It needs to be on the road before the frost, or snow is due, but, not on the road for too long so that passing cars grind it down into nothing and dissipate it. By switching off the gritter, or by stopping when meeting cars you'd be slowing the process down, you'd either have to start earlier and risk losing the salt, or start later and risk ice forming on the untreated road before you got to them.

You've hit the nail on the head. You do pay for it. if you want them to work differently, run more lorries at different times, cover different roads, buy more equipment, are you willing to pay for it? People complain about levels of tax as it is.

Sorry Jake, but it's the risk you run driving in the winter.

Dont get me wrong I would much that than black ice taking out the car and they have been doing a great job sorting theroads out. But I think it was the multiple that realy got me peed off

and the fact the first lorry was shifting which made the grit bounce off the road and straight at the car. Put it this way, there was so much coming at my windscreen, I shut my eyes involuntary

I still have the marks on the front of the car from the hits so will try and get a pic to show every one.

either was not a happy bunny :(

Dont get me wrong I would much that than black ice taking out the car and they have been doing a great job sorting theroads out. But I think it was the multiple that realy got me peed off

and the fact the first lorry was shifting which made the grit bounce off the road and straight at the car. Put it this way, there was so much coming at my windscreen, I shut my eyes involuntary

I still have the marks on the front of the car from the hits so will try and get a pic to show every one.

Yeah, I guess it's just what happens :p Just try and get at least some help in repairs from them :)

Also (Unrelated), I see from your profile that you are 20?

How/who are you insured with? ;D This is the reason I am not on the road until I am 21 3 aha

Yeah, I guess it's just what happens :p Just try and get at least some help in repairs from them :)

How/who are you insured with? ;D This is the reason I am not on the road until I am 21 3 aha

I'm with Adrian flux and pay about £1300 full comp :shock: and thats with 3 years driving, and 1 years ncb

But thats not bad when you consider I was paying £1041 on a 1.4 mk3 thrid part F+T

I'm with Adrian flux and pay about £1300 full comp :shock: and thats with 3 years driving, and 1 years ncb

But thats not bad when you consider I was paying £1041 on a 1.4 mk3 thrid part F+T

ahah shit that's good! Fuxers! I've been driving 2 years with 2 years ncb and they quoted me £5500 fully comp!

Perhaps I will try them when I am 21 then ;D Cheers. How much do you reckon being lowered and having tinted windows will cost with them then?

Sorry it's so off topic but, it's interesting and I had to know ;D Thanks.

And yer, I was paying £1800 my first year driving a 1.4 306! It's daylight robbery, i tell you!

Here are some pics of the out come.

100124_143411.jpg

Close up

100124_143423.jpg

Marks on the glass

100124_143432.jpg

Close up of a couple of chips :censored:

100124_143446.jpg

And some on the bonnet (some where there befor :lol: )

100124_143454.jpg

will wait till tomoro after i've cleaned it to see what elles has been caused :(

I'd like to think that hopefully that is all dirt :p

Anything that is left may polish out ;D

Ya hopefully most of it will polish out but like the two chips in the pic it has gone down to the primer :(

will have to see what will wash off and what will be left tomoro

I think claiming off the council will get you know where, what can they do? Its a bugger when you get grit all over your car but as already said the road needs to be gritted.

Swompy - alot of that does look like dirt.

Do they really put "tread" on the ice round your way? What a great idea! :clap: :lol:

That is some crappy news about the multiple grittings, but as the guys say - there's not really a lot you or the gritting drivers can do about it. It's a risk of winter driving as much as slithering off the road into a ditch is :(

On the plus side - at least there aren't any snow routes in the UK.

In Canada if there's more than 2" of snow on the ground it's illegal to park on a lot of streets.

So if they find your car parked on the street and they have time, they might tow it, but chances are they'll just take the snow plough down the street anyway and bury your car in the snow/misc other crap...and fine you for the privilege :)

Well washed the car and thankfully most of it came off but left loads of chips :(

a few poics of what happend, everything that is white was not there before, apart from a couple on the bonnet.

100125_150849.jpg

100125_150859.jpg

100125_150917.jpg

100125_150929.jpg

100125_150948.jpg

100125_151139.jpg

100125_151213.jpg

I can see both sides of the argument here. I work for the council and see how tough jobs like this are and how much stick council workers get, always with the line 'I pay my taxes'. I always remind people that council workers pay their taxes too!

However I would say give the claim a go. Send a letter with loads of photos, maps, times dates etc. and you may get something back. I'm not saying the gritter driver did anything wrong, but the council will have a set procedure for this and will either say yes or no, so it's worth a go. They do budget for claims so the money may be waiting.

And regarding insurance, I know I'm a few years older than you guys but AF quoted me about £400 more than Brentacre, who I went with. So maybe give them a go next time.

I can see both sides of the argument here. I work for the council and see how tough jobs like this are and how much stick council workers get, always with the line 'I pay my taxes'. I always remind people that council workers pay their taxes too!

However I would say give the claim a go. Send a letter with loads of photos, maps, times dates etc. and you may get something back. I'm not saying the gritter driver did anything wrong, but the council will have a set procedure for this and will either say yes or no, so it's worth a go. They do budget for claims so the money may be waiting.

And regarding insurance, I know I'm a few years older than you guys but AF quoted me about £400 more than Brentacre, who I went with. So maybe give them a go next time.

Yeah i've been looking at Brentacre! But I don't like phoning around unless I am actually going to get insurance, I did an email quote with Adrian Flux and it came back (all mods declared) at £1125, which isn't bad imo! For when I hit 21 with 2 years no claims and all that~

Yeah i've been looking at Brentacre! But I don't like phoning around unless I am actually going to get insurance, I did an email quote with Adrian Flux and it came back (all mods declared) at £1125, which isn't bad imo! For when I hit 21 with 2 years no claims and all that~

I got a quote like that of AF but when i phones them it shot up by £500 but then the lady I spoke to was very heplfull and she got it down to £1300