captainredeye

Why why why my Engine!

Finally finished the two brake lines after breaking one of the die and having to find a spare one, not only that snapped the handle on the vice then the top of the threaded bolt so pop's welded it up to complete the job.

Have the lines in but will be topping up and bleeding the brakes tomorrow so we will see how we go.

One last note for the day if buying a flaring kit spend the money at a guess i would say £100+ what i have is a sealy (a good brand) but it is a bottom of the range rebranded set same as halfords. will post a pic of it tomorrow with hopefully a car with wheels that go's and stops and the rest!

Gave up on doing my own pipes and got the garage to knock a set off them up for peace off mind and £10 not bad.

Got everything adjusted, got all excited after driving a 1.4 golf for 10 days turned the key battery dead! So the pub it is.

Glad you got the braids sorted

Yeah sometimes if your only doing a few brake lines now and again it's easier and cheaper to get them made up by either a friendly garage or most independent garages will also do them

Been to the garage to get the camber done but cant be sorted until i find out the original camber setting for a vr don't understand why.

in the mean time here is a few pics, the 288 breaks are little spongy but very good the kw's are amazing, i suspect the old shocks were a bit worn but still for coil-overs they really do absorb the bumps i have them set so the wishbone is resting flat so may raise it a little

Firstly the camber has been sorted just a case of an employee who couldnt be bothered. Always ask for the manager.

The breaks have firmed up no longer spongy and when breaking hard have really noticed a difference great upgrade for the cash!

Today i have replaced the headlight loom with an uprated job, the right indicator has been staying on when the headlights are switched on seems to happen more in the damp, bulbs have been changed, relays, fuses and the earth cleaned up but still intermitent so hopefully with the new loom it will bypass the old wiring on the drivers side and we may just have a cure.

Also replaced a couple of exhaust rubbers as there been some serious clunkage from below.

The vr is using oil quite rapidly there is some white smoke from the back on gear changes but quite a bit of seepage around the head so I have decided to take the plunge and do ahead rebuild, I have just nabbed myself a tsr ported head and have shimmel cams on the way so it's worth replacing everything in the head while I'm at it.

Do i stick with oem parts or source some supposed uprated bits?

When you say 'uprated bits' do you mean gaskets & head bolts etc,if so oem would be fine or Victor Reinz from GSF.If its using lots of oil be sure to check cylinder bores for wear.You wouldnt want to do all that work on head & still have oil burning probs.Are you still ok for Castle Combe ?

Standard gaskets are the way forward and toying with the idea of arp bolts while im at it , confused mainly about the tappets as you can get heavy duty ones and different makes of valve stems, springs and seals.

I take it you can only find out if the bores are worn on visual inspection when the head is off? quite tempted to just get a second block and build engine number 2 and drop it in.

Yes Combe is still on i have the passes for the main paddock i will update the thread in a bit.

Stopped medling with the engine for the time being, leaking matrix has seen to that! Been a real pain getting all of the gubbins out hoping its going to be a lot smoother whacking it back in! The wiki section has really helped with this one.

Looks like youve been having fun there! Thats one thing mines never had replaced,looks like a bit of a job & a half.

Job done, replaced some of the foam panels on the matrix flaps as the water leak had destroyed them, it not a terrible job just time consuming ,I will admit at one point doing the timing chains seemed like it would be more fun.

Also found the dash had been had out before there was missing screws and some damaged clips which didn't help.

Bit of investigation today after the dash went back in the stereo and spoiler have stopped working, after testing wires and working out whats what the instrument cluster loom is getting replaced with one thats not burnt out.

I think its all down to some dodgy earths and crossed wiring from the cluster, but we will see tomorrow.

Fitted a new spoiler module today thanks to dave16v, the old one had lost some of the circuitry on the board also after some fiddling with all the wires i have rewired the stereo to how vw intended minus the speed control wire and all of a sudden i have a working stereo, now i just need a new battery plus the horn has now decided its lost it voice.

Cant have it all i suppose.

Cheers dudes! Been off work this week so he's been spending quite a bit of time in the pub car park ,there was a audi day at bowood wad a bit manic at that junction

Not a happy bunny curbed a wheel on Friday going to a mates wedding reception but could be worse.

Now collecting parts for another engine so looking for a strong 2.9 block or one for boring out to 3.0 also wanting a p+p throttle body and wondering if polishing mildly the inside of the schmuck main helps at all but will hold fire as I don't want to ruin it

Taken the car to the garage to have the gear box and mounts looked at drove the car in and caught the sump on a bolt thats part of the ramps which chucked oil every really wish it was at standard height now and as further punishment i have a nissan micra courtesy car, i hate micra's but one thing i will say is it drives rather smoothly.

Haha welcome to the world of lowered cars :D Soon you will have every speed bump and pot holes memorised :D

Thanks Jake :) . Worst part is the micra, glad I had taken it to the garage turns out all the bolts to the drive shaft were loose and one was sheared off when fixed we will see if that cures the engine movement I could feel.

Just got the c back and all is good the gearbox flange was the problem feels a lot smoother now, had to wait a little longer as vw had changed the part numbers and updated the bolts themselves for attaching the drive shaft so the garage had a little trouble getting hold of them. Well done vw!

Also had poly bushes put on the front roll bar and have to say it feels a lot more direct and responsive when cornering.

---------- Post added at 6:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:20 PM ----------

I also fitted a oil catch tank as part of the crank case breather to the manifold and after two weeks have found no oil in the manifold or throttle body so think that is working to.

I know exactly why, managed to get water in the engine when we had heavy storms about 5 months ago, feel a little stupid for letting it happen and the circumstances were a little out of my control but I'm not one for a excuses so any way...

After taking my block apart i noticed two bent conrods so replaced these but nothing else as was doing this on a bit of a budget, replaced the head gasket and stripped the head performing a partial rebuild with new stem seals and re seated the valves, after putting it all back together with a few hiccups along the way i had the car running for about an hour and a half with two short journeys up the road just to see how it went.

Now on the third trip and sorting out a cylinder not firing BOOM it all went wrong, pulled over and tried to turn the engine over but nothing after later inspection i found one of the pistons had quite literally let go and showered into lots of little fragments, the timing had slipped and a valve impacted with the piston, this was due to the tensioner bolt failing as the engine was damn noisy just before it exploded.

The bore is knackered with a huge gash down the side of it and the cylinder head surface is pretty chewed up so i have managed to get my self another block which arrived today and start the long process of a rebuild.

My hat goes off to you,I've just spent the last half hour reading your thread and wondered how many Corrados found the breakers for a lot less.

I just hope during my ownership I can be as dedicated as you.