Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

New edition (not a C but still a vdub)

Hi guys.

I've not had the chance to post on here much recently so firstly happy new to everyone!

Anyhow, I've had to sort out a new van as I crashed the old Caddy into a large bit of medal, which kind of killed it :(

It was a bit of a mess anyway - 200000+ km's, a slipping clutch, a broken door lock, the bodywork was shot and only an SDI so really didn't see the point in spending any more money on it fixing it up. After a bit of ivestigation I ended up trading it in for a new Caddy 2.0 TDI (via the Dutch equivelant of the scrapage system you have in the UK now)

I picked it up over the wekeend and have to say I'm well impressed so far. It's a 2010 model fully loaded 2.0 TDI with a factory remap to 170hp/395Nm.

Obviously I'm taking it easyish for the first 1000km's or so but it doesn't half shift when you put your foot down :) The first service is due at 30,000 km's!!

Whilst I was waiting for delivery (8 weeks) the Corrado was the daily driver - and she didn't miss a beat once on the 145 km daily journey :clap:

Anyhow, a few pics of old and new:

Dutch

Yeah I know - give me a chance! ;)

I'm beginning to like all this torque - she has more Nm's that the stage2 chipped 24v 2.8 in the Corrado! :shock:

I'm currently eyeing up the eiback lowering kit (not coilovers) and the Caddy Sportline 17inch alloys. I also like the Sportline front bumber, rear spoiler and side bars! Looks like she won't be staying standard for long ;)

Dutch

Hey van looks good mate. I love the feeling of having a new vehicle! On a side note, your camera takes awesome pictures, what is it?

Thanks oliherst and yes it is a nice feeling.

This is my first new new car and it's nice knowing no one else has abused her before me. :norty:

3 weeks ago she didn't even exist :)

The camera is just an 8.2mp point and shoot Sony Cyber-shot. Can't remember the model, but It's about 2 years old and not top of the range. I can post the model if you want, but I'm sure the newer one's will be just as good/better.

Dutch

Well, after driving the van for the last 8 days or so I took the Corrado out for a quick spin this afternoon and was quite shocked by the experience.

It feels like it's 200 years old and unbelievably it felt SLOW !!! :shock:

The van is running 170bhp compared to +/- 230bhp from the Corrado, but I guess all that torque (395Nm) makes the difference.

I'm pretty sure the van will out pull the C in any gear from 50kph and up, even though it weighs maybe 250 kg more and is massive in comparison.

So, what to do?? No idea, but guess the only way the C can be made to feel as quick is to whack a turbo on the 24v. Not sure if i can be arsed with all the hassle though at this point :(

I originally bought the Caddy as a sensible(ish), economical(ish) daily and for taking the dog out in. Now it seems I'm beginning to prefer driving it over the Corrado :shock: :? Must be getting old I guess :)

Dutch

Hehe :)

Funnily enough, I hadn't driven a Corrado for 2 years when I first test drove my current one, and the first thing that sprang to mind when I did was "f00k me my van's a monster!" :lol: obviously due to it being a TDI its all over by the time the VR6 gets going, mine hits the limiter at 4.5k! but the low down grunt of a TDI packs a lot of punch. I've got a 2.5tdi T4 which has been remapped to 130bhp btw, so I can imagine yours is a little rocket! 8)

I love my van, and if it was a choice between the rado and the van, the rado would be gone :wave: :ignore:

"f00k me my van's a monster!" :lol:

lol, I'm coming round to that opinion too now. When I first drove it it didn't "feel" that quick, but after driving the C again my opinion has changed :)

I'm not sure what mine redlines at as I haven't taken it above 4000rpm yet, but from 1500rpm and up it just pulls so damn hard :D

Having a 6th gear helps too - she doesn't run out of gas until very illegal speeds, and pulls hard all the way there. I'm very impressed with it so far!

"obviously due to it being a TDI its all over by the time the VR6 gets going"

- yep true, but the 24v gets going quite a bit earlier than the 12v, but still low end torque is nothing in comparison to the TDI.

I'm also coming round to the same opinion mate - if I had to make a choice, the C would have to go :shock: :shock:

Never ever ever thought I'd be saying that, even more so with a van as the second car. I love the C to death having owned her since '98 and spending so much time/money restoring/upgrading her over the last few years, but still, I know which one i'd rather jump in tomorrow for the daily trek to work and back.

Damn, I'm now in desperate need of some motivation to turbo her. Kev - fancy a trip to Holland? :D

Dutch

btw - how much torque is your 2.5tdi making? I'm guessing quite a lot ;)