Sign in to follow this  
volkshome

Headlight Conversions

OK has anyone actually converted their headlamps to another make of headlamp? I have heard of people using BMW headlamps but not seen any pictures of the conversion, I have also seen the halo/projector set up and to be honest not that keen on the looks of it.

I was thinking of resilvering the old lamps but to be honest if they were originally as poor an output as I have heard I have thought up a cheaper conversion.

What do you all think?

yes I saw that one but wasn't quite convinced as to the looks, plus the lamps you got to cut up are still quite expensive to get hold of second hand.

I did a little play using some 6x4 rectangular lamps using a graphics prog from a ford(spit) probe but note sure how it will look in real life. The only prob I think will I could have 4X dipped beams if I wanted to there should be more than enough light output.

Each to their own, after all it would be boring if we all had the same taste!

Surely an uprated lighting loom would be a good place to start!!!!

For some reason it reminds me of Mort Goldmans teeth....

If you've got a decent set of late headlights along with perhaps some black detailing on the inside, I don't think there's anything that could look better IMHO.

If it ain't broke (ignoring of course the fact that they don't actually illuminate anything in standard form :lol:), don't try and fix it.

mine does have the uprated wiring loom but they do need the reflector resilvering to improve them but then they will still be like candles in the wind,I am more worried about them cos the wife keeps stealing it to drive but she moans about the lighting at night and I am more worried about her putting it in a ditch.

I am not sure but when I was in my early 20's I saw a corrado with a Irmscher ( not sure that is spelt right) grille which was similar and being a car that was designed in the 80's I thought a recatangular headlamp would suit it more,course the lights will still have a glass cover as per the original lamp to protect the lens'.

I did look at using the twin circular headlamps from a ford capri mk3 but I don't think they will squeeze in at 5 3/4 inch diameter.

I 've found a decent loom, ie one that does the H4 dipped beam and uses and both the H4 and H3 bulbs for mainbeam, together with Osram Nightbreaker +90% H3s and Philips Extreme +80% H4s works superbly.

Fitted Optic Blue Lamin-X now and the lights are a glorious white instead of nealy white.........and not gonna crack!! 8)

Fitted Optic Blue Lamin-X now and the lights are a glorious white instead of nealy white.........and not gonna crack!! 8)

i need some of this is my life. im running last years nightbreakers (70% i believe) and some spurious h3's i found at work and they still look terribly yellow and are pap i wanna take the lamps apart and clean em and get some film to protect em a bit more!

are HID projectors not popular then? surely as much effort as uprating the wiring loom with a lot better results?

I havent actually got any, they're just on the list... then you wouldnt have to worry about resilvering etc, they could be painted black which looks good and still be bright

Edit:

Perhaps have a look at this?

http://www.dubdesignindustries.com/audilights/ Ian.

just read the link contents. that seems like a hell of a lot of effort, and you'd have to go at it trial and error a fair bit... the HID projectors for sale on the forum are direct replacements into your old housing I thought with no faff needed?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=76594

Why not just get a standard HID upgrade on the dips - not the angel eyes/projector ones, which look pants IMO. No diffo aesthetically, tho'.

I got mine done at Stealth for a very fair price and the difference is...... wait for it...... night and day. Don't really need main beams anymore. Vince would sell you just a kit, I'm sure, if you want to do your own fitting.

I use Phillips 'Rally' 100W bulbs which really do transform the Corrado's night vision abilities, but at 13.8V, full beams pull 29 amps so you really do need that uprated loom, a good battery and a healthy alternator!!

Worth it though.

I use Phillips 'Rally' 100W bulbs which really do transform the Corrado's night vision abilities, but at 13.8V, full beams pull 29 amps so you really do need that uprated loom, a good battery and a healthy alternator!!

Worth it though.

do they not scortch the silver in the headlamps? ive seen some cases. not in corrados where the headlights have been burnt either the plastic casing melting and warping (obviosuly not an issue in the C) or the silver reflective burning and falling off?

Having cleaned mine lenses recently inside and out before putting the Lamin-x on I noticed the silver was starting to lift and thats with standard 55w/60w bulbs in (albeit the +80-90% ones). I changed them shortly after get the Corrado about 12 years ago so they will get bad with age regardless of high out bulb use. :(

I got the Xenon dips upgrade on mine. Total transformation. Absolutely brilliant now.

Hence, I have for sale an uprated headlight loom,if anyone's interested. Never actually got around to fitting it, but it's the one that used to appear as a sticky on Parts: http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=96184

Have to agree that projector angel eyes look pants on the car. DO like the audi conversions on Dubdesign A LOT, tho'. I did start to have a go at it but had to put it aside when life suddenly got frantic. Hope to complete that little project sometime.....