Sign in to follow this  
Neil L.

Erratic Revs on VR6...

Got big problem on my 94 VR6(Coilpack type) :(

The cars revs are absolutely erratic at low revs - only stabilizing when throttling hard - when waiting at lights the engine will rev itself then die then rev again etc until it finally cuts out!

Another symtom is that the car frequently shakes violently at these low revs!

The only thing that i've done is to change the plugs - which were quite bad (overfuelling?) - but the symtoms persists!

Its so bad that i've decided not to use the car now - its almost undrivable!

Done a few search words here - couple of things mentioned! Where do i start???

Vag Com will be most peoples first suggestion. It will show up probably 85% of the known symptoms of bad running. Get that checked then report back. If that is clear then there are the known culprits. Neil B

Idle stabilization valve problem, probably needs cleaning. Either that or a foreign body (usually foam) in the surrounding pipework. I've has exactly these symptoms and it was foam in the pipes surrounding the ISV. Could equally be an airleak in the same area. Do a search for ISV cleaning on here, loads of info.

I'd start with the ISV as well.. it's a common trouble causer for idling problems!

Got big problem on my 94 VR6(Coilpack type) :(

The cars revs are absolutely erratic at low revs - only stabilizing when throttling hard - when waiting at lights the engine will rev itself then die then rev again etc until it finally cuts out!

Another symtom is that the car frequently shakes violently at these low revs!

The only thing that i've done is to change the plugs - which were quite bad (overfuelling?) - but the symtoms persists!

Its so bad that i've decided not to use the car now - its almost undrivable!

Done a few search words here - couple of things mentioned! Where do i start???

where are you located lots of people have vagcom on here and are happy to scan your car it takes 2 seconds to scan the engine ecu to find out

whats wrong and this way you know what to do to resolve the problem :D

if your near farnborough (hampshire) im happy to help ya :D

Im in S Wales unfortunetly but i know someone with VagCom - hes very busy but ill get in touch today to see if he can at least give the car a scan to point me in the right direction! Ill report back my findings.

The MAF seems tobe the culprit - how much for a new one? Could also be the lambda but the bad MAF might be making it not operate correctly! Change MAF first then see how it goes!

Glad to see u've nearly got it sorted mate, had this problem on my mk3.

Unfortunately can't help u on prices, was just wondering whereabouts in S.Wales ur from?

Im in Swansea. VW part is £110 + VAT! Been told to stay away from cheep "e-Bay" far east part that sell in the region of £60 :nono:

Turns out the wires to the Lambda had corroded and broke - not sure if this alone would have caused the erratic running - to late if so - new MAFs been fitted by mechanic!!! :?

Told mechanic to keep the MAF that was replaced - I'll check it when i get the car back!