Sign in to follow this  
vwcrazy

Heater Core problem?

Hello all,

I just joined the site and have a few questions on an SLC I'm getting ready to buy. The heater core started leaking last night after we test drove the car. My understanding is that the whole dash has to come out for this repair to be done. Has anyone had this done on thier car? Also, the owner says that the heated seats are the only things that don't work. His dealer told him that they would have to dig into the dash to diagnose the problem so he left it alone as it's not a big deal. I was wondering if anyone knows what is in the dash to diagnose? My last question is about the engine. How does the 93 US model VR6 differ from the current VR6? I noticed that the air intake is located in a different place. Is mine a 24 valve? Are there power differences between the old and new?

I have heard rumours of people managing to change the heater core (matrix) without removing the dash, but most people have to remove the dash.

Not sure about the work required to fix the heated seats at all, sorry.

Your last question, however I can answer.. Assuming you tell us what you mean by "current VR6". The current cars using the VR6 engine are badged "V6" (at least in Europe), and are 24-valve heads. The R32 is also a 3.2 litre. The new ones are more powerful than the old (courtesy of the extra valves).

No Corrados had 24 valve heads, they were all 12v VR6s.

Well the 2.9 Corrado vr6 (european) did 190bhp/ 181lbft,

the R32 golf (3.2 litre, 24v, VVT, VSR) does about 235bhp and 215lbft (approx).

I think the 2.8 Corrado vr6 (US) did 175bhp/ 170lbft

I'm not sure what the figures are for the newer 24v 2.8 VR6 engines tho.

..google will tell all if you search for the right things though, I'm sure..

Just to expand on Matt's comprehensive replies, the 2.8 24V gives 204 bhp and 199lb/ft torque.

The 3.2 engine is available in 2 guises, Audi wring 247bhp and around 240lb/ft out it whereas VW have used a milder ECU map to generate 237bhp and approx 230lb/ft. The R32 is already showing signs of responding well to chipping and cams. AmD here in the UK have already got 300hp out it with bolt ons and they've just developed a twin-turbo kit for it, prices and power ratings TBA. I'm sure EIP on your side of the water have already done a similar kit.

As for the heated seats, I'm pretty sure they just take a power feed from the fuseboard and it's quite likely you've got a blown fuse/ thermal relay or the heater elements in the seat pads have broken. Replacement pads are available from VW.

Kev

(Sorry Kev, but a mastery of inane pedantry requires that I point out that torque should be measured in "lb ft" not "lb/ft" ;) )

I wonder if you can chop up an electric blanket to heat non-factory warmed seats? LOL!

Probably, but you'd need to work out resistances and power handling capabilities for both before you tried it else you'd have a rather interesting (mildly unbelievable!) story to tell the doctor at A&E! :roll: :wink: :lol:

That's a bit over the top for me! If it's not a fuse I'm not messing with it. Thanks for the input everyone!

Dan

Nonsense....the Corrado is p#ss easy to work on. The seats come apart in less than an hour. But it's up to you, if you don't want your bum warmed in the winter, that's your perogative :lol: If the rest of the car pleases you, then put the seats on the 'to do whenever list' and enjoy the car in the meantime.

K