Sign in to follow this  
pebisit

Storm Grill difference??

Anyone know what the difference (if anything) there is here. Mines got a badge deleted one, and I want to put the original back on.

But I read the Storm ones maybe different (filled in between slats??)

I was going to order a new one and badge from ARZ, but wanted to make sure I'm getting the right thing first

Cheers

Phil

On mine the top two slats are filled in and the bottom one is open but technically the grille is the same as all vr6's apart from it being colour coded, doesnt matter if you get one with all the slats open either(better cooling in the summer 8) )

On mine the top two slats are filled in and the bottom one is open but technically the grille is the same as all vr6's apart from it being colour coded, doesnt matter if you get one with all the slats open either(better cooling in the summer 8) )

Sorry thats what i meant the top and middle are filled but bottom is open. I dunno why VW did that, why not making them all open - as you say Jon better cooling! :shrug:

My one the top two slats are closed but I have done a crappy job of opening them up till I get a hold of a proper Dremel tool set to do a decent job!

I like my cooling thanking you :D

ARZ sells original and de badged ones. I'm hoping the originals are originals, if you know what I mean. They also do the badges too

Mine also has the top 2 slats closed. My own thoery is that the closed slat jobbies were from a batch meant for colder climates?

I have an alternative "open" grill I use for long road trips or summer driving as it makes a very definite difference to oil temps.

ARZ sells original and de badged ones. I'm hoping the originals are originals, if you know what I mean. They also do the badges too

ah i didnt know they sold the OEM grilles

Mine also has the top 2 slats closed. My own thoery is that the closed slat jobbies were from a batch meant for colder climates?

I have an alternative "open" grill I use for long road trips or summer driving as it makes a very definite difference to oil temps.

Oil temps? Or water temps? Or both?

If you buy a VR6 grill from the dealer today, it'll be the all open slat variety.

Agreed with Vornwend. The original partially blocked grilles were to help with an over-cooling issue, which seems ironic given it's a VR6 engined car, but I have a full open grill and the water barely hits 83 deg this time of year. Which is a tad low tbh....

Oil is the same, struggles to get over 88, but that's with a Mocal.

Oil temps? Or water temps? Or both?

Water temp gauge doesn't do much but about a 4'C to 6'C drop in oil temp is what I saw.

"Closed" grille was fitted from 1994 onwards on all models when new.

If you buy a VR6 grill from the dealer today, it'll be the all open slat variety.

Agreed with Vornwend. The original partially blocked grilles were to help with an over-cooling issue, which seems ironic given it's a VR6 engined car, but I have a full open grill and the water barely hits 83 deg this time of year. Which is a tad low tbh....

Oil is the same, struggles to get over 88, but that's with a Mocal.

Aye mine is the same water doesnt get to 90 much at the mo.