Sign in to follow this  
UseOnceDestroy

Boot Popper?? ...

The time is drawing near ... My Rado goes into Kustom Kolours on Monday ... and I keep changing the plans!! :lol:

Was thinkin while I was at it, getting rid of the boot key lock if possible and installing a boot popper (I think I created that name so there's probably a technical name out there somewhere) ...

Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

If so, could anyone give me some info ... available kits, sites, anything.

Cheers :salute:

Yeah been lookin, just didnt know if they'd be compatible ... how it would be wired in, especially to the dash ... Just wanted to know if anyone had a thread I could follow :shrug:

yeah im sure there will be. shouldnt need to be specific a mk2 golf one would give you more than enough info.

they are pretty simple to put in if you have a little knowledge and are spanner friendly.

boot solenoid brings up a fair few on egay

Some people uses SAAB boot popper.. but that is on Golf MK2...

Think there is a key less entry system that uses the Boot realese, with a push of a button the keyring. That would be nice?

Ok cool, cheers for your info ... maybe thinking they're more complicated than they actually are then ... I'm still new to all this if you hadn't noticed :lol: I hate turning off the engine to pop into the boot ... :censored: ... My alarm key fob has an aux button which I can connect to the boot release so yeah, that'll be very nice! Guessing you can wire a button into the dash somewhere too ...

Most boot solenoids that you can fit go onto cable boot releases, not sure how it could be fitted to a push button (from the outside) unless you hack the fitting so that it pulls it (to mimic the push from the outside) if you get me. Im pretty sure it can be done but would need experimenting and one that produces enough 'pull'....at least thats how i might approach it

i have done this on mine, i just used the spare output on my alarm to activate a standard universal central locking solenoid (same sort you can get in maplin) which is more than powerful enough and connected it to the lock mech in the tailgate, very simple to do and the only awkward bit was running the cable into the tailgate.

You smoothing the door handles too?

I'm getting Audi A3 handles cut in, not smoothing ...

i have done this on mine, i just used the spare output on my alarm to activate a standard universal central locking solenoid (same sort you can get in maplin) which is more than powerful enough and connected it to the lock mech in the tailgate, very simple to do and the only awkward bit was running the cable into the tailgate.

Ok thanks, I've been looking online and it does seem a lot simpler than I first thought, been speaking to my body shop and he seems more than confident so it shouldnt be an issue, do you have a remote switch in your dash too?

You smoothing the door handles too?

I'm getting Audi A3 handles cut in, not smoothing ...

Sorry, what I meant was are you getting rid of the door locks too? If so, how will you get in if your battery goes flat?

Not having a pop, just making sure you've thought about it.

Thanks phatboy & Kempy

Sorry, what I meant was are you getting rid of the door locks too? If so, how will you get in if your battery goes flat?

Not having a pop, just making sure you've thought about it.

No worries I didn't take it as if you were, I appreciate the input, yeah I'm using rear handles so there will be no locks ... I completely understand your point and it is risky, I plan on carrying a spare battery for the key fob in my wallet if that dies ... and if my car battery goes flat, which is unlikely as I'm using it every day ... well ... then I'll choose the worst window!! :lol:

Definitely high risk ... but it adds to the thrill!!

What's that? ... A brick?!

Surely there's a way of installing a manual release under the car or something in case that ever happened? Use the original key lock somehow? Can't be impossible ... Can it?!

What's that? ... A brick?!

Surely there's a way of installing a manual release under the car or something in case that ever happened? Use the original key lock somehow? Can't be impossible ... Can it?!

If i were u I'd keep the boot lock. You could probably still use a solenoid to help open it, but you're going to need some way of getting in the car if it all goes t*ts up. Replacement glass is getting rare now.

a very simple solution to this is a short section of cable that you can hide up behind the bumper connected to the battery via a fuse, then if your car battery goes flat you simply connect a battery, jump pack, or even a battery charger to the cable just to give it enough power to operate the alarm or central locking, job done, will be doing this soon as im replacing the boot lock with a reversing camera.

a very simple solution to this is a short section of cable that you can hide up behind the bumper connected to the battery via a fuse, then if your car battery goes flat you simply connect a battery, jump pack, or even a battery charger to the cable just to give it enough power to operate the alarm or central locking, job done, will be doing this soon as im replacing the boot lock with a reversing camera.

Cheers mate, I was actually discussing this method with a guy at work today, gonna be honest, I didn't completely understand. Would you have to connect two cables, one to the positive and one to the negative? Is there no danger of the cable shorting or getting wet or any other such damage?

It was either that, or hide a manual release for the bonnet under the bumper or behind one of the indicators so I can just pop the bonnet if anything like that happened.

well really all you would need is one cable from the positive terminal of the battery with something like a 10amp fuse as close to the battery end as possible and run that down behind the bumper, and either just insulate the end of the cable with some waterproof tape that you can just tear off when its needed or fit a water proof connector to the end of it, then just connect the negative of your emergency source (battery, jump pack, or charger) to a bare bit of metal on the car (wheel bolt, brake disk, ect) and the positive to the cable.

well really all you would need is one cable from the positive terminal of the battery with something like a 10amp fuse as close to the battery end as possible and run that down behind the bumper, and either just insulate the end of the cable with some waterproof tape that you can just tear off when its needed or fit a water proof connector to the end of it, then just connect the negative of your emergency source (battery, jump pack, or charger) to a bare bit of metal on the car (wheel bolt, brake disk, ect) and the positive to the cable.

Good thinkin mate, that sounds like the easier ... and safer option, unlikely anyone is gonna be searching around under my car for a manual bonnet release but there's always that risk. At least this way, it's there as a back up without compromising security!

Im going for the key less entry and Passat handles.. but keeping my hatch lock just in case! :lol:

GO ON!! Take the plunge!! :lol: