Sign in to follow this  
Chris Langdon

spoiler lube and uprated VR sump

not sure if i have this in the right section so sorry mods if i have.

firstly what is the best lubricate for the rear spoiler mech, is a lithum white grease the best thing to use? i asked VW today and they didnt know :brickwall:

also im stripping down VR bottom end at the moment for some one and i am totally shocked that the VR engine never came with a baffle sump/windage tray?????? :shock: even my mk1 golf has got a small bit of plastic that clips on to the oil pump! i binned it and suck a an better one for a mk3 golf gti 16v in (much better, OE part and still clips on to the oil pump.

so my question is, is there something similar i can do to the VR, is the R32 sump the only option, if so is there away of blanking up the sump sensor??

many thanks

Chris

talc, silicon spray.

if it continues to be a problem, then water may have got into the drive cables and the whole mechanism will need to be replaced.

i stripped my whole mech apart, and thorougly cleaned the tube the cable runs in, then greased it ,jobs a goodin very smooth and no noise.

Chris,

There's a full how to guide on the CCGB site in the technical section on the rear spoiler which was done by Yandards. :salute:

Yeah I did my spoiler mech last year too. I wouldn't bother lubing the plastic tubes the spoiler panel sits on, if that's what you mean? It's the internal mechanism that needs stripping and lubing and I would just use regular grease like Castrol LM or maybe some Silkolene Synthetic grease if you're feeling fancy.

On the sump, there's no need to blank off the oil condition sensor, just leave it there as it's well recessed out of the way. I've seen a few modified steel sumps around but personally I prefer to do it the OE way.