Sign in to follow this  
jgtis

vr6 supecharge upgrade

Hi guys,

Am thinking about getting a superchager fitted on my vr6, which takes it up to around 260 bhp, what sort of 0-60 times do you think i can get from this upgrade? and any other mods i can do at the same time to compliment this.

CHEERS.

check out the vr6 midrange thread,the best thing you could do by the sounds of it is to get your gearbox modified and an lsd fitted

Agree with Dazzy and Jim here - if you're interested in talking about nought to sixty's down the pub with your mates, then supercharge away :)

I'm starting to agree that a decent gear-box setup, LSD, VSR manifold, uprated ARB's and a good suspension setup are the way to go.

The 0-60 times are not the reason i want a superchager, i was just curious to know how much quicker a SC and an extra 70 bhp would make my vr6! 8)

the first thing is being able to get the power down with out lighting your tyres up,you can get the chargers from nsr or stealth,think they cost somewhere around the £3500 mark

STEALTHRACING quoted me for it, so i may get it done, may speak to them and get a bit more info first. 8)

So how did it feel after you had the supercharger fitted? did the power increase make a huge difference ? :-P

With the great exchange rate on the Dollar at the moment, I'd be trying to import the kit and get someone to fit it (if you don't want tot do it yourself).

My car used to feel a bit flat at the top end and now it really loves the high revs and the power continues to 6200 instead of just giving up like it used to. When standard it was probably producing between 190 and 200 hp but made 274hp on the rolling road with the charger fitted.

You'll probably find that 0-60 won't be much different, due to wheelspin. as for 60-100, well, that's where you'll really notice it.

I would certainly have a look at getting the Vortech charger from the states.. I am doing the same and can get the kit for just over £1900 so it is a considerable saving!!

So you're considering an engine mod that is the price of a tatty VR6!!

I wish I had cash kicking around like that!! ;)

supercoupe that sounds good could you give me some detail on that please? how about the fitting, cant really say ive looked in to it, but ive heard its quite simple to fit.

DR MAT i dont wanna get rid of my vr6, but i want more power, so i thought a super charger was the best way to get it! what do u rekon?

jgtis, I'm just not inclined to think along those lines cos basically I seem to spend so much keeping my VR6 running *exactly like it is already* that I don't have cash left over for making it better!!

However, I would imagine a supercharger does provide a stack of power, and certainly it'd get over the VR's comparative lethargy at low revs pretty nicely, which a turbo might not help so much with.

There's a Supercharged Golf in Performance VW shoot out and the guys had both types in there I think. I can get the 0-60 times from it if you like

Supercharger vs Turbocharger won't be represented in the 0-60s. The supercharger will show much more low-rev torque than a turbo, and less lag. It's usually said to be better to drive a super- than a turbo-, cos there's no lag and there's grunt right through the rev range.

There's not really much difference in performance between a standard vr and a charged vr at low revs. The charger doesn't flow that much air at low revs and you still have to wait for boost to build up like a turbo.

Really? Can't say I've driven both, but that's the impression I've been given before.

Still, definitely no lag though - that's definitely true.

Not much below 3000, feels like a lighty modified engine, but comes in strong afterwards and pulls hards up to the redline. Perhaps a vsr is needed so you get the best of both worlds.