Jim Bowen

Removing front wings.

i think the only way to treat my rust appearing on arches would be to remove them

a mate said i'd never get them back on looking the same. Is that true?

whats involved with removing them and refitting?

They are sealed from the factory to the body so you need to heat them a bit to get them off without bending them too much but they are a bolt on part basically so perfectly do-able.

Best for a summer job though really!

yeah, i will probably wait until the weather is a bit warmer.

whereabouts does the sealant run? is it something that cut be cut with a blade as you pull them off?

yeah, i will probably wait until the weather is a bit warmer.

whereabouts does the sealant run? is it something that cut be cut with a blade as you pull them off?

The sealant runs on the rear side of the inside arch near where the door meets the arch. You Can dig the sealant out but its a bit of a task. As supercharged said if you can heat it up and 'melt' it, that would be easier. Note thats theres another bolt at the bottom just under the sill.

They are sealed from the factory to the body so you need to heat them a bit to get them off without bending them too much but they are a bolt on part basically so perfectly do-able.

Best for a summer job though really!

Did this at the weekend and it is a serious PITA! I though 'ah the wing, i know where the bolts are, must be easy...' man i was wrong. The wing i was removing was knackered anyway so i wasn't worried about distorting it too much as i can repair it once its off but i ended up cutting the sealant and then used a chisel to remove the sealant

doing this job at the moment.

Got all the screws undone ok, but taking me ages to cut through the sealant with a stanley blade, must be over an inch thick in places.

I got to be careful not to damage the wings, will a heatgun ruin the paint? i tried a blowtorch on some sealant i'd already cut off and it sets fire to it, so don't wanna try that on the car

Hi. 3Corsameal. Just how hard was this? have two newly painted wings,slam panel and bumper to fit! will have to take time off worlk across a weekend as need the car! is there a tool that you found helped? thanks for any help. Vince.

2011-08-10164650.jpg

well the 1st one took me ages as i didn't really know where the join was, and also i did 20mins then left it a few days :lol:

did the 2nd one in about 30mins, its really awkward cutting the sealant stuff, i used a stanley knife, a stanley blade on its own, two different screwdrivers and a hacksaw blade. As with most things on a corrado, the theory is easy, but its working in the tight spaces that make things hard work.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

i didn't do any heating of the sealant btw, don't have a heatgun and the blowtorch just set fire to the stuff