Sign in to follow this  
pumbaa

9a losing power and spluttering after 2 mins of driving

Having a problem with the valver.

This started happening about 3 months ago and is kind of intermittent, i.e doesnt happen everytime but, on the first start of the day the car starts fine but then after about 2-3 mins of driving the engine loses power, doesn't fire properly, revs drop and the exhaust sometimes machine guns and splutters until i rev it like a biatch and warm her up and then shes good to go all day.

I've been told it might be the cold start injector cutting out too soon but im not sure.

Anyone else experianced this and have a remedy?

Any help is much appreciated.

Kunaal

Sounds very much like the lambda probe not working properly if it's happening after about 2 or 3 minutes......? Might be worth getting that checked out, or the wiring to it checked - gets very brittle and can crack!

having suffered a lot of problems on my 9a i'd suggest lambda also. worth getting it plugged in to a diagnostic machine and if it is the lambda buy a genuine vw one

Thanks for your help.

I ran diagnostics on the car and no problems came up with the lambda sensor. Tried changing the fuel filter which i thought may have solved the problem but no luck, it returned a few days later!

Any other suggestions?

Kunaal

i too have suffered the 9a woes (well suffering) :D, it could be a bad earth or the engine manage temp switch under the dizzy.

or the microswithes on the tb sticking (ihad this at the begining of ownership of my c).

or the fuel pump overheating after 2 mins of driving and leaning the mixture to much.

Cold start valve could be stuck on and continuing to squirt to much fuel in.

Sean