Sign in to follow this  
8vMatt

Having a VR head change. Thoughts on parts to change? ? ?

Hi guys

In a month or so hopefully, my engine will be stripped down for fitment of my new head and timing chains/tensioners. Ordered a new head gasket, got ARP bolts, got the various mani gasket's and a heatsoak gasket. Got new oil and G12++ coolant just in case.

Been told I should look at a new water pump (as the engine is stripped down and accessible), thats ordered. Would I need anything else in this area? Belts? Part numbers would really help as well.

Also been told about needing a Crank Seal? Don't know about this side of things. Any help is very welcome.

Do I need any other parts whilst this is going on with the engine? Hope there isn't much else as this is costing enough! Urgh! ! !

Thanks in advance for any advice given, appreciate it all.

Matt.

Main crank seal on the flywheel end should be fitted as part of the chains being done. It's about £60 though. Water pump is good to get done and out the way. Swap the thermostat, housing and crack pipe while you're in there.

Matt, i would also agree with toad, and remember if you have the gearbox out see what clutch condition is like!!! this is somethink to bear in mind

regards

Chris

Cheers for the ideas fella's. I've done the thermostat and housing, not too worried about the crack pipe as that could be changed with the engine in place at a later date.

Chris- I'm very sure that the clutch was changed when Steveo had the manual conversion done, about 2 years ago and 10k miles. Not worried about that bit for now.

Would anyone recommend any belts be changed? I'm looking for this engine to be a good one for years to come.

Just a quick bump for this one guys. Been talking to TPS and they have a couple of parts listed for the crank seal, is it poss to get any part no's off people for which one I need?

And anything else whilst the engine is apart?

Many thanks.

When I had my chains and clutch done I seriously regretted not popping in a lightweight flywheel when I had the chance, just a thought