biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

Ah Raddas! It looks very nice indeed!

You should be winning something at the show!

I would feel scared sitting in your car

I take it this is a reply to the pic I sent via text then? And why will you feel scared sitting in my car?

He's seen the way you drive.. you got a heavy foot.. :lol:

From the text it's looking sweet 8)

The pictures look amazing mate that you e-mailed

I wouldn't want to sit in it because I wouldn't want to ruin anything!

I can't really write more than that without giving anything away!

Typical!! The engine decided not to start this evening after being run on many occasions during the day. I can't put my finger on why this is and its just typical with less than a week until E38... grrrrrrrr

I think it might have just been the batt! Its dead. Got it on trickle charge at the moment, so fingers crossed, just maybe, it might start when fully charged. Think the ECU doesn't like not having a full 12V. Just a pain, will see tomorrow! You cracking on ok Jay?

B

After a whole day wasted trying to get the damn thing started again, I think I have found what the problem is.. I think I have damaged the Haltech MAP sensor again.. :( this is the second one and at a mere £100 from Jabba they aren't cheap! All it takes is a single large back fire to damage the diaphragm in the MAP sensor and that’s that. Seeing as its bank holiday tomorrow I'm going to try getting one from Haltech themselves but they are based in Australia so I just hope I can get another before next weekend! :cry:

I still have so much to do before next weekend, starting to get a little stressed now! Not going to bring it unless its running as it will be a nightmare moving it too and from the campsite… bloody cars.. grrrrrr :bad-words:

Here's a quick sneak pic...

Is that the same front splitter that J has on his?

Whats it off again? :oops:

Looking f'in great though... looking forward to seeing her at the show :D

Yeah Phil its the same as mine. Its a MK2 Golf one, not a straight forward fit but a bit different, until Ben copied me! :)

Come on Ben get it running dude, we have to get the whole CoupeHaus collective there together!! :)

Phil K, Its a mk2 16v item.. a nice touch and just rounds off the front end a bit IMO. Thanks Jay for that mod :)

G60Renshaw, yeah yeah...

Mate I'm trying to get this sodding thing started for the show. I am phoning Haltech in Australia tonight to order a new MAP sensor. Still haven't had a chance to do what I planned to do today, so might be a long day tomorrow!

Keep at it dude. You will get it there.

I have a fun day mopping the paint tomorrow to try and bring it back from the dead after a few months of cr@p!

ben does the diagnostics on the haltech ecu allow you to fire off the spark plugs on their own with nothing else working?

my DTA 20v turbo would do this occasionally, just wouldnt fire. I had to plug a laptop in and fire off the plugs to burn off any fuel in the chambers, you could hear it go 'pop'

Then it would start straight away.

The joys of aftermarket ecu's :)

CoxyLaad, Simple answer is I don't know. It is something that I would want to be able to do if its possible. I've had it with components not working and packing up on me! This is my 3rd MAP sensor, all from just a couple of backfires.

Anyway kinda good news, I just called Haltech direct and they are sending me another for half the price of Jabba! £65 to my door + import duty if I get done.. Should be with me by Thursday, I'm not cutting it close am I !!

Coxy it would be good to meet at the weekend if your going to be at the show, maybe you can show me on the laptop how to potentially fire the sparks individually! Would be good if I can. I now have to go and get some more oil as the sump has filled up with damn fuel again! There's another £20 gone! Why didn’t I just by a reliable, quick car in the first place!! Nightmare..

Ben....

It's John (helping Mark with his 1.8t golf) here. As a bit of an aside to the current theme of the thread, we discovered the 1.8t alternator can be switched on and off by putting 12v across the little connector on the alternator. I guess normally the ECU uses the facility to turn the alternator off to reduce draw. Mark's car now appears to be charging. Maybe if yours responds in the same way, you won't need to keep charging your battery - minor niggle resolved?

As far as I can tell there's no way to fire the sparkplugs through the haltech software. The only way to fire them when the engine isn't turning over, is to turn the ignition on and off repeatedly. Alternatively, why not disconnect the injectors and turn the engine over?

Good luck with the car tomorrow and sorting your act for next weekend. With a bit of luck Mark's 1.8t mk2 will be at E38 next Saturday. The only thing standing in our way is the fabrication of a couple of metal boost pipes...... and if we do make it, the car will still be looking a bit rough around the edges - the botched exhaust isn't the prettiest, but it'll do the job for now.

Just in case you fancy a gander:

http://www.dry-family.f2s.com/20vt_golf ... s_golf.wmv

Cheers,

John.

Ben....

It's John (helping Mark with his 1.8t golf) here. As a bit of an aside to the current theme of the thread, we discovered the 1.8t alternator can be switched on and off by putting 12v across the little connector on the alternator. I guess normally the ECU uses the facility to turn the alternator off to reduce draw. Mark's car now appears to be charging. Maybe if yours responds in the same way, you won't need to keep charging your battery - minor niggle resolved?

As far as I can tell there's no way to fire the sparkplugs through the haltech software. The only way to fire them when the engine isn't turning over, is to turn the ignition on and off repeatedly. Alternatively, why not disconnect the injectors and turn the engine over?

Good luck with the car tomorrow and sorting your act for next weekend. With a bit of luck Mark's 1.8t mk2 will be at E38 next Saturday. The only thing standing in our way is the fabrication of a couple of metal boost pipes...... and if we do make it, the car will still be looking a bit rough around the edges - the botched exhaust isn't the prettiest, but it'll do the job for now.

Just in case you fancy a gander:

http://www.dry-family.f2s.com/20vt_golf ... s_golf.wmv

Cheers,

John.

That’s good news John.. ! Have you wired up a switch to that connection or have you just applied a permanent 12v's?

I managed to order another MAP sensor last night and hopefully it will be here before Thursday, I have Friday off work to get the car finished for the show! I hope you guys will be able to come down, would be good to catch up over a few beers on either friday or sat night!

Hhahahaha, I just watched the vid.. That song at the end is funny! I see you have wires everywhere! Looks good, I bet Marks happy!

Ben,

After playing around with the alternator last night I think it's fair to say I don't quite understand what input is required to make the alternator work - by connecting 12v to the two small contacts on the alternator, it can be triggered into life, but quite whether that's the correct signal is unknown. However..... just for the hell of it we connected the two pins together, and now the alternator seems to work consistently. Whether doing that will eventually fry some internals we don't know - blind ignorance is currently provailing!

Unless something unexpected happens, Mark's car should make it to E38 at the weekend. Only for Saturday, but an appearance all the same. A few minor things would be good to address; none functional coolant temp' gauge, oil pressure light, and alternator charge light. However none of these should stop the car being driven - the rad fan works fine, and although it's far from ideal to drive without warning lamps, I suspect Mark will be prepared to chance it. The remaning (relatively) big issues of the intercooler pipe, downpipe, and backbox are booked to be solved on Thursday.

One thing to consider if you see it on Saturday, is that it is still work in progress, and there are some "get it on the road" botches, which although functional aren't especially pleasing to the eye!

All the ECU wiring is now tidy in the bay, it's just the manky old 16v loom and dash related sensor wires that remain lying around......... oh and PAS pipes tethered to the front cross member with zip-ties! ha - another stunning (temporary)bodge - Mark's car used to be non-assisted.

Cheers.

John

p.s. the Muppets theme seemed somewhat appropriate for our often confused state when working on the conversion!

p.p.s totally the wrong forum and thread for talk about a golf, but what the heck - we're pretty chuffed to have got so far given our previous experience (changing brake discs!). So here's another short vid: It is roadworthy!

totally the wrong forum and thread for talk about a golf, but what the heck

Not at all, I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would enjoy reading a thread about how you tackled the conversion, i.e. what you needed to change, what you kept, etc. I know I would :)

Ben,

After playing around with the alternator last night I think it's fair to say I don't quite understand what input is required to make the alternator work - by connecting 12v to the two small contacts on the alternator, it can be triggered into life, but quite whether that's the correct signal is unknown. However..... just for the hell of it we connected the two pins together, and now the alternator seems to work consistently. Whether doing that will eventually fry some internals we don't know - blind ignorance is currently provailing!

Unless something unexpected happens, Mark's car should make it to E38 at the weekend. Only for Saturday, but an appearance all the same. A few minor things would be good to address; none functional coolant temp' gauge, oil pressure light, and alternator charge light. However none of these should stop the car being driven - the rad fan works fine, and although it's far from ideal to drive without warning lamps, I suspect Mark will be prepared to chance it. The remaning (relatively) big issues of the intercooler pipe, downpipe, and backbox are booked to be solved on Thursday.

One thing to consider if you see it on Saturday, is that it is still work in progress, and there are some "get it on the road" botches, which although functional aren't especially pleasing to the eye!

All the ECU wiring is now tidy in the bay, it's just the manky old 16v loom and dash related sensor wires that remain lying around......... oh and PAS pipes tethered to the front cross member with zip-ties! ha - another stunning (temporary)bodge - Mark's car used to be non-assisted.

Cheers.

John

p.s. the Muppets theme seemed somewhat appropriate for our often confused state when working on the conversion!

p.p.s totally the wrong forum and thread for talk about a golf, but what the heck - we're pretty chuffed to have got so far given our previous experience (changing brake discs!). So here's another short vid: It is roadworthy!

John,

I'll look into the alternator issue after the weekend. I look forward to seeing it at E38 whatever state its in, it doesn't matter if you have wires everywhere, I have :) Well done on getting it on the road! Talked to Mark last night on MSN and he seems excited about it all! Vid looks good, got no sound at work though in case there was any more cheesy music at the end ??? lol

See you at E38!

B

Not at all, I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would enjoy reading a thread about how you tackled the conversion, i.e. what you needed to change, what you kept, etc. I know I would :)

I'll second that...

Ben pull the fuel pump relay so its not putting any fuel in, then turn it over, see what happens.

Unfortunately I am not going to ED38 :( :( :(

Severely p1ssed off at this.

I am playing rugby on the saturday - I play in a fairly high standard and its the first game of the season :(

and I have to work on Sunday :(

I have no luck. I made an extra special effort to go to the inters this year and it was the biggest pile of sheeeeiiite I have ever witnessed. we travelled for something like 14 hours in total, and I think we were only at the show for 3 hours max. Its probablies best I dont go, everytime I turn up they are crap!