Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

MOT tomorow yay or nay ?

My MOT is due to run out on the 18 of March :(

I was going to get it done on saturday but now I have to work, but I have tomorow off work.

So now do I take the car to be MOT'd tomorow or not?

If it fails will I still be able to use it untill the 18th?

It shouldnt failas as it is all sounds, only thing I can think it might fail on is the handbrake as the cables have stretched a little over time.

I dont know what to do :help:

My MOT is due to run out on the 18 of March :(

I was going to get it done on saturday but now I have to work, but I have tomorow off work.

So now do I take the car to be MOT'd tomorow or not?

If it fails will I still be able to use it untill the 18th?

It shouldnt failas as it is all sounds, only thing I can think it might fail on is the handbrake as the cables have stretched a little over time.

I dont know what to do :help:

Well this is probably a bit late now seeing as 'yesterday' is now! lol.

When issued an MOT, it lasts for a year. You can (and is advised, by myself from previous experience lol) take the car to an MOT station upto a month before the MOT due date to get it tested (helps if the car is your daily, and can't be without it for too long - means you have time to source parts/help to do work/garages etc).

If the car fails though, and you have (for the sake of argument) 2 weeks left until the ORIGINAL date, you can still use the car up til that date, as you still have a valid certificate, I think. I think if the garage found the car was a death-trap, then maybe things change I don't know! :lol:

An MOT can be carried out at any time

If the vehicle is tested within the calendar month prior to when the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate. For example, if the current certificate was due to expire on 1 April 2007, and the vehicle was presented on or after 2 March 2007, the certificate would run from the test date until 1 April 2008.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022112

I think.

:lol:[/quote:uv7wgapc]

Lol, well when mine failed when I took it in a couple of weeks before it was due (last yr), I carried on driving it. It failed on my German plates (lol), a balljoint was fubar, and an exhaust bracket needed a tad of welding to it. I used it as my daily and did the work on a wknd, then took him back in and got it passed!

I suppose if the police were to pull u over u still have a valid MOT certificate, but as it's all digital they might know that it's been for a test and failed, I dunno :shrug:

My excuse would be "Hey, I paid for the MOT to last a yr, so why does this mean it only lasts 11months and 14days?!". Or something to that effect. Or maybe run.

I thought the new test invalidated the old one to be honest.

If your car fails an MOT surely it's in an unroadworthy condition :shrug:

I was told by my MOT tester that as long as your original MOT is still in date then you can use the vehicle until it expires even if it fails the new test.

I always try and get my MOT done as close to the 28 days before as I can in case any work is needed.

Just had mine done and it went through fine with no problems for the 4th time running :D

I'm sure there is a 'fail' and an official 'unroad worthy' fail.

If officially classed as unroad worthy then the test station can not let you drive the car away. If just a fail then your expiry date of the MOT held still applies.

Just Googled it and found this on a non goverment site but it seems to make sense.

A question that is often asked follows:

If car fails MOT is the old test certificate still valid until its expiry date?

Well the answer does not seem to be found on any of the government information about the MOT test, so we emailed VOSA with this question and this is their response:

"An MOT certificate is valid until its expiry date. However if your vehicle fails a test before this date and you do not rectify the defects then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle which is an offence."

So to put this into context if your car fails the MOT due to illegal tyres then you are driving an unroadworthy vehicle, you were driving unroadworthy vehicle before the MOT, and you will be driving an unroadworthy vehicle until you get a new tyre. Therefore at anytime if caught you would be subject to a £2500 fine and 3 points per illegal tyre.

However once you get a new tyre your car is roadworthy and the old MOT is still valid until its expiry date, thus you can then drive your car again and get it retested to your timescale, with out worrying about driving without an MOT.

This is a very good reason to book your Mot early and give yourself plenty of time to book a retest if needed.

Don't think of it as something to fear.If there is something wrong with the car it is good to know.

Obviously it is nice to pass first time though. :)

Good luck.

O well either way its MOT time so wish me luck :pale:

did she pass ?

:clap: ya she passed :grin: no advisory's either 8)

Only a virbal one saying my handbrake mechanism on one of the back calipers is almost nackered and he think I should raise the suspension as it too low :lol:

just to clarify, when you car fails mot, it is electronically logged with vosa, and the car should not be driven on the road unless to and from the test station or place of repair.

so basically your only allowed to drive it home or to a place of repair and back again, hope this helps! :D

skills

I got mine at the end of the month. dunno if it'll pass, probably not :censored: