Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

Awesome work on making those break lines Rams! I had a break failure yesterday and all mine need doing. Any chance of a listing of parts and suppliers for the copper piping, unions, couplers and clips? How the devil did you bend the piping without it folding? Does anyone know the correct Goodridge Part number for the braided Pipes on a G60? Cheers :D

Hey

To replace the old hard brake lines is not that difficult. You need the tool or similar as in the picture and a real of brake line. I got this from Euro as the mechanic who helped me gets trade price. I had to use the old unions / nipple ends, so had to cut my old ones off, then cut one side again to slip the end off the old pipe.

You then clean and put the nipple end on one side, then use the tool to make the lip . If you buy new ones it will be a lot easier but Euro and car places had closed by the time we realised.

I have a pair of caliper clips spare from VW if you get stuck, most caliper clips are similar.

remove the line you want to do, then get one end of the new brake pipe and match one end with the old, and keep working your way along, following the bends just to get the size of the length. So one will be following the other. You will have to rotate your hands round the curved bits moving the old pipe and holding the new in the next position till your the end. Hope that makes sense.

Then literally, bend the new in sink of the old brake line and you will be surprised how good you can match them. Just make sure you have the correct length and the ends are fitted. They bend easily and do not kink, just go gently with it and it will be fine.

Buy some new brake fluid whilst your there, DOT 4 and clean out the resvoir, the neck comes out after a bit of a squeeze.

Ive still got to do the long lines under the car, but replaced all 4 corners. The lines under the car are still reasonable, but its nice to know that you have solid lines and you never know, you dont want them to break when you are planting the brake pedal.

If you are doing a caliper rebuild, I have brand new VW repair set which I didnt use in the end as my new calipers were fine.

Good luck and just make sure you bleed the system well and that you release the air from all the bleed nipples. Master clinder, slave cylinder, all callipers and abs if your is a late C.

Good luck, if you need further clarification, just give me a shout. I dont mind at all.

Nice one. I'm planning to do all the hard metal brake pipes but this will have to wait until the first payday in my new job startin in three weeks, so that's seven weeks away - :roll: . Great tip about bending the new line in sync with the old ones. There's bad rot on exhaust brackets as well, so just uncovered a load of other work that'll need doin - sheesh.

This might sound daft but I rounded off the holding nut for the hard brake line to the offside rear. The nuts won't accept a 10mm spanner but the 11mm is slightly too big. I started fantasizing they are some weird size like 10.5mm. What size are these and are they simply a tight 10mm fit, but mine are grimed up. Can you clear this one up Rams?

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf2010 07 10 - Bad Brake Pipe Fittings 01 - IMG_3513.JPG[/attachment:21ekjx61]

The only way I could get it off was to destroy the brake line and hammer a 10mm long socket onto it. Bloody awful.

On the driver's side the old brake line fixing was so badly seized, I had to grind it off.

2010 07 10 - Seized Brake Pipe Fixings - Driver Rear - IMG_3521.JPG[/attachment:21ekjx61]

I sliced through it at point A, and it wouldn't budge, so I then sliced through the fixing at point B, and it dropped out sweetly. Gonna have to do some rust prevention work on this area before the winter though!

Hopin to swop better parts over from my donor car, as they seem a bit less neglected than mine, till I get the pennies to do this properly.

Hi, good work....

I used an actual bleed nipple spanner, its specific for the job so not sure what size it is. Pop into your local hardware store or Halfords?? I sprayed a lot of cleaner and lube and left it for a while and gradually managing to get bits un done. Its a job once done, makes you feel good and you know everything is protected and sealed.

I had my welder start my rear arch today, so will post up some pics.

Thats some serious storm maintenace...Great work

If you are doing a caliper rebuild, I have brand new VW repair set which I didnt use in the end as my new calipers were fine.

How much does VW charge for the Caliper repair kit. I am looking into getting my brakes overhaul

Hi all

I did have this job booked in for next week, but work has started today and have some pictures for those who are thinking about changing rotten arches. My welder, crazy Paul, which you can probably tell from the pictures has made good progress today. Hes cut the good arch out of the second hand rear quater panel I bought, cutting above the top arch line so you get to re form the inner arch and all the inner arch works gets hidden, but will all be welded, smoothed and wax oiled after. Then you know that you have a good deal to stop the water coming through and rotting out in the first place. Theres more rust on the cill, but light surface which will be sorted and for an extra measure, the underneath will be plate welded.

He then said ' look away mate' and took the grinder to my storm :( I had to then look and thought, 'bloddy hell' and had to walk away. Plucked up the courage to come back and take some photos and I could see that he knows what hes doing and making a good job of things.

Offered up the new arch so to speak and made a few more adjustments and then liped the arch under the rear wing and everything looked good. He then spent a while making sure the measurements were the same either side of the car with the good arch and said hes got it spot on.

Hes coming back tomorrow to spot weld and this will take a futher 2 days as hes going to go slowly and carefully so it doesnt distort and Ive told him to take as long as he needs. He knows im keeping the car till death do us part, lol and he reassured me of cars he did 10 plus years ago are still mint, so I have faith.

Will begin the DA process next week and make a start to rust areas and car park dings. Meeting a new painter hes recommended on Monday to get him to have a look and see some of his work and hopefully a date we need to have everything ready/

Cant wait to see this car looking smart, I even had an ebay message o say some coilovers I lost out on are re available as the buyer mucked him around, have offered slightly less than my higest bid and awaiting his reply. I really shouldnt though as the re spray etc will empty my pockets but once its sprayed, Im going to be annoyed the cars too high still!

After the re spray and coilovers, and a few smaller bits and pieces, Im going to enjoy the car and save up for some engine modifications. Will be super charging her, cams and new exhaust and rear vented brakes. Tensioner / chain possibly? Then by next summer, new rims...Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdfCorrado arch replacement 002.jpg[/attachment:dl02xklz]Book1.pdfCorrado arch replacement 004.jpg[/attachment:dl02xklz]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfCorrado arch replacement 006.jpg[/attachment:dl02xklz]ETKA Corrado.pdfCorrado arch replacement 008.jpg[/attachment:dl02xklz]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfCorrado arch replacement 011.jpg[/attachment:dl02xklz]

Thats some serious rust.. :gag: glad to see your doing the proper job though. :clap:

:shock: wow indeedy but superb efforts mate, hope it goes well :wink:

Cheers guys,

Very shortly stage 2 begins, will be making sure its lined up perfectly, a few spot welds to keep everything in place unill we have our final adjustment, hold everything in place with clamps and will see how much he can get done today. I panicked yesterday, I looked in the car and thought it was on fire, there was lots of smoke inside and luckily its just the smoke from the grinder rising through the arch.

The small area at the bottom of the arch to the right hand side as you look at it, the small lip thats close to the tyre in effect was the cause of the arch rusting out, as well as a previous poor repair. The water then the cill and runs along. A new end piece has been made so everything is now solid metal.

It alreadys looks good IMO as I cant see bubbling rust anymore!! Even though the rear arch still is unfinished.

I am de seaming the rear panel to remove the lines, keeping the badges and the mirrors the same, wing vent going in and possibly painting the door handles in black? Un decided on the rear wiper hole, but will weld up the wing indicators and do the slc bumper lights and they will be the indicators. I havent seen many UK C's with these bumper indicators.

Will upload some more pics as today unfolds.

Rams

I have the invoice somewhere, you can buy them from me if they are the same? still in there box.... part no 3A0698471 12.42 Each PLUS VAT. Can knock 10 % off.

A few more hours on the rear arch.... getting there now. Tomorrow everything should be smoothed off and ready for fibre glass and filler.Raking out the rear seems and making good. Ordered VW wing vent, ordered Miltek decat pipe. Now deciding, Magnex/ miltec Jetex cat back system??

I dont really know about widening the arches, my old arch was rusted all the way round and beginning to affect other areas, moisture was getting in from the arch.

Its been done this way as you can still retain the line in the arch and you know the inner arch is solid and it seemed to be what the good body shops suggested. Once its all smoothed off, was oiled inside everywhere, I think it will be very close to a factory look, or I hope it will! Will see the finished result soon. Have you had arch work done yourself or widened your arches?

No i havnt had work done so far but mine are a wee rusty, mostly surface rust and i wanted to get rid of it and widen them at the same time, wasgoing to use a spear arch pannel, pretty much how you have but just the arch, as you would do with a mk1/2....

Just extending the ones which are already there getting rid of the edges on mine as their not the best condition and they seem bent all over either way from the person (Idiot) who owned it before.

So many little things to fix, i also think my wiring has been done by a 2 year old, had to re do a fair bit of it as most the wiring under the dash appeared to have been messed about with, he has also cut holes out on the rear underneath the rear cards (Door card things) bodge cut holes to fit 6x9s in the sides but its the worst job ive ever seen, looks as if they did it with a pair of pliers, usless.

Does annoy me when you get a car and your dash has random screws in, in places their un needed jsut cus some noob has lost a few screws they decided to ruin any chance of making it look smart again.... and obviously their are holes in the cards aswell so it looks terrible.

Nice work again mate, good luck with the results, will be intrested to see how they look when hes done, also intrested to see how the rear quater lines up seeing if its looks as straight and level as it did before.

Wing vents and decat miltek pipe arrived. Just fitting the pipe now. I have also treated myself to a new number plate, I think its its cool and a sensible price. i will show you once its on. Its corrado orientated. It should be a nice vr soon.....

The decat pipe was too short so they are sending an extra long extension / adaptor. If anyone orders theirs, just give them the length of your old cat so the same doesnt happen to you.

Work is well underway.... have smoothed the front wing holes, plated and welded. Smoothed the rear panel, disc cut join, spot weld so it wount flex and sink, then the first coat of filler.

The arch should be looking good tomorrow, the lines are excellent and line up really well. Then smoothing rear wiper hole. A few other ideas have now cropped up and I have a solution to what handles I want. But will save that for a photo when they are done.

Fitting the new bonnett and passenger wing tomorrow and doing a trial run on the wing vent in the old wing first. Used the Mercedes sprinter wing in the end as its more subtle. Bumper lights are on there way from America, managed to get clear slc factory ones.

Good work mate!

Reading with interest, cos my rear arch has got a spot of rust. :(

i was wanting to smooth that line on the rear pannel, i seem to have a wee bit of rust there, would you think i could grind it off or would i need to replace the metal which si there to stop any further spots of rust appearing?

Nice work though mate.

Liking the mods too.

A bit more work has been done with the arch and rear panel, tomorrow the rear panel will be welded, smoothed and fillered, the bonnet washers are going. Will cut in the wing vent to the old wing first and make sure everything is lined up before doing it on the new wing. Also will cut the inner arch to actually get the air through.

Then everyday, a few hours each day, should see the new bonnet fitted, wings fitted and lined up, then when the slc lights arive, get those cut in, the wiring will be altered for the side indicator and brought towards the bumpers. Bit more work on the arch to get completely smooth and perfect then the car is ready to be DA'ed and flatted back ready for painting. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks, all the body mods will be complete, just ordering some solinoids for when the doors become smooth.

The car will be completely delocked, so will order some super quality solinoids to do the trick. The boot will release from a button on the inside, but the doors will open from a small button under the wing mirrors. I was told yesterday by Waynos - that TVR use our mirrors, so that mod works quite well imo.

I am going to do as much of the paint prep myself then hand it over to the professional and ask him to make sure he is happy with my prep work, if not, he will make the final touches before its re sprayed.Corrado92.pdfCorrado work 19072010 002.jpg[/attachment:cxcyv291]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfCorrado work 19072010 004.jpg[/attachment:cxcyv291]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfCorrado work 19072010 003.jpg[/attachment:cxcyv291]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfCorrado work 19072010 005.jpg[/attachment:cxcyv291]