Sign in to follow this  
timmaaah

'Rado off road for a year - what checks do I need to do?

As per title.

I reluctantly had to mothball the 'rado due to unforeseen circumstances. At that time, she was over fuelling terribly. The clutch was also starting to slip. These are/were the only two major problems that she had.

She's been stored in a car port, so the worst of the weather has been kept off her. Hand brake is off, but she was left in gear. The brakes have a fair amount of rust on the discs, front and rear. She was last started up about 6 months ago. I wasn't really sure of how long she was going to be off the road for, and didn't really do it properly, ie plugs out, dribble of oil in bores, up on jacks etc etc.

What do I need to do to get her back on he road? The sale of my van should hopefully facilitate a resurrection for the old girl. What should I do before firing the old girl up. There's hardly any petrol in the tank, and she's due an oil change anyway!

Some pointers would really be appreciated.

Anybody in Norwich/Reepham fancy giving me a hand getting the old girl running sweetly again? I can offer beer as recompense!

Anywhere around here that can sort the over fuelling? She would run fine with or without the maf connected, and the lambda was replaced for the last mot. TPS?

I really want to get her back on the road again - too many going to the great scrapyard in the sky for my liking.

Cheers in advance

Timmaaah

i had mine off the road for 2 years and all i did was charge the battery over night and she fired up first time

then i changed all the disks pads all fluid changes plugs leads and all has been good

as for the poor fueling you really need to vag com it to see if anything is faulty

If the car's weight was left fully on the wheels you may want to consider having the tyres checked over. You should also watch out for seized brake calipers, particularly at the rear.

I'd also look at getting ALL the fluids changed (oil, brake & hydraulic) after such a long layoff.

Right - charged up the battery for 24 hours, but it's shagged! Got a set of heavy duty jump leads - connected up to the van, turned her over and hey presto! Fired up a treat!

Still got the same overfuelling problem, plus she will not idle at all.

Going to spend the next few days taking the brake callipers off and freeing them off to make sure they won't seize, checking the tyres over, replacing fluids etc.

I'm going to take her to Clive Atthowe engineering near me (unless anybody has a better idea), but will probably need to trailer/tow her there as she has not got a current mot.

Mr Clutch have quoted £272 for a replacement clutch. The engine's on 122k and the chains haven't been done, but they don't sound rattly!

All the bits and bobs all work, except the main beam on the headlights, although I suspect a faulty homemade replacement wiring loom (looks a bit manky!)

So - hopefully the old girl will be back on the road in the not too distant future! Yay!

Keep you all posted!

Timmaaah

/anyone near me with VAG-COM? Reepham, Norfolk?